Project - 37a (Wendyhouse)

Soldato
Got a bit restless this morning so have done a few little jobs in the cave.... And I put the bookshelf up, just needed it to hold my small amount of books and DVD's and more than anything a display stand for the gauntlet!

Not forgetting the essential tin of sweeties of course! :)

Or are you just using that to store something else?

It is starting to look quite 'homely' now... we are all very jealous!

Soldato
OP
Not forgetting the essential tin of sweeties of course! :)

Or are you just using that to store something else?

It is starting to look quite 'homely' now... we are all very jealous!

That is genuinely my little tuck box for while I'm out here, The Mrs gives me all the sweets we don't want the kids to have :D

It is starting to feel a lot more comfortable now.

Soldato
OP
Weekend update

Quite glad to be posting this one;

I have a ceiling in the shed side!

Enough of that, it's a ceiling. Hopefully will get it painted through the course of the week.

Man stuff;

Overclockers stuff, this was meant to be the new stitched edge 3XL mat with free mug but OC sent me old stock with no stitched edge so it's just the free mug;

Other stuff:
As per previous update notes, mFi kit has been ordered for the mancave side as well as some SFP's and fibre patch cable (just because I can) and the Overclockers gaming surface will take over from the current 2XL and the 2XL will protect the other side of the desk (guest laptops and working area).

Still have a couple of shelves to put up and a few bits to keep me going, guttering should be going on in a fortnight and final end caps and seal.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Little bit of Overclockers good stuff

Replacement mat arrived today so here is the pictures I wanted to post the other day but couldn't;

And now the completed work area (still needs some random pots of random tools though);

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Small weekend update

Tested out the new car's Ikea capabilities and had to buy another book case for the printer and other additional man stuff as well as a new penholder (lucky me).

Addition of bookshelf means the boxes are nearly gone now so the "work" area is getting cleaner. Still got 2 shelves to place though

Now have all 3 servers fired up and running, the blue is my LAN and the red is failover :), top server (big cube) is my main home server running RAID10 ubuntu server. This serves everything up, left hand N54L is running xpenology and is my backup "vault" which is awaiting more HDD's and the right hand N54L is running esxi with windows and my "services" ubuntu which has cacti and nagios etc etc.

Future plans now are guttering, fitting shelves and then concentrating on finishing bits.

I'm hoping my SFP modules arrive sometime this week so I can get the patch and switch stuff finished off and the Ubiquiti Unifi AP in the loft so I can free up an outdoor AP for summer parties :D

Last edited:
Associate
Looks great. Did you come in under budget? Just good to know as I'm soon to be exploring an idea of turning a big wooden garage into a man shed shortly...

Soldato
OP
Looks great. Did you come in under budget? Just good to know as I'm soon to be exploring an idea of turning a big wooden garage into a man shed shortly...

Definitely not.

Original budget was about £10k.

I spent roughly £11.5k on the building itself and then a fair few hundred more on decking out the interior.

Currently it's nearly done but I think it will always be my little ongoing project with bits and bobs here and there.

Soldato
OP
Time for an update

Well an update is due I think,

My SFP's are on the way (due tomorrow) so fibre from router to Mancave switch will be done by the end of the Easter break.

This is also how my "tech" desk looks

A bit of mancave wifi and rest of house coverage also. (For the uneducated they are Unifi UAP's which are wifi access points made by Ubiquiti networks and run from a very nice user friendly controller based Web GUI) powered by a MikroTik RB260GSP which I was testing to ensure they would power up from so I can utilise the one in my loft.

Last edited:
Associate
All this networking stuff is making me very envious. I think the setup on your desk there is worth more than my entire networking setup as a whole :D

You should post your transfer speeds when it's all fitted as I doubt there will be any bottlenecks to cause issues :)

Associate
Wow, this is looking amazing. I did notice just one minor omission on your part and that is the refreshments:

1_zps2345tu4x.jpg

Soldato
OP
Fibre day!

Well I'm quite happy. I took a bit of a punt on the SFP's I ordered and it paid off. I now have probably one of the most pointless fibre links ever!

I also have the mfi stuff ordered and Ubiquiti UAP to mount this weekend.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
All this networking stuff is making me very envious. I think the setup on your desk there is worth more than my entire networking setup as a whole :D

You should post your transfer speeds when it's all fitted as I doubt there will be any bottlenecks to cause issues :)

Last iPerf confirmed gigabit, to be honest it's all much of a muchness, even a 10/100 would be overkill for my 20Mb internet connection. Nice having the overhead though. The SFP's may be the start of a better upgrade for the future though (RB3011 may make it's way to the loft and fibre link down to the cave).

Wow, this is looking amazing. I did notice just one minor omission on your part and that is the refreshments

I did consider a mini fridge but the noise would do my head in, I used to have one in my bedroom and it was horrendous!

Back
Top Bottom