Project car boot

Many thanks for the positive responses.

Bit more activity. As I removed all the power and reset buttons and there mounts when I stripped the case I had to make something that would do the job. If any of you have seen my Skeleton Mods you'll know I have a bit of a habit of turning old CD ROM drives into switch boxes, so I chose to go down that route.

CDROM was free (it came in the doner case but the Vandal switches did cost about £8 each and the toggles with their covers about £15 in total. I very nearly bought the cheapest switches money could buy but then thought i'd rather it look nice. Sometimes you just gotta spend a few quid in the detail areas. (ahem.....like the fan controller I also bought)

So take on drive and pop it open

rip out the guts

trim away middle part of front bezel (I did tidy up the cut after photo)

make new front panel from steel and make holes the right size and ideally in the right place and paint it

Glue it to trimmed down front bezel and clip it back onto drive housing

Add swtiches.

Simply amazing. TBH these type of build impress me more than the "I've got near unlimeted amount of money look at what i can do" builds.

amazing considering how little you've spent :)

i've got 2 hp boxes that i've fancied having a crack at modding for a long time, this project has at least got me thinking about doing it again, thanks mate

Last edited:
Once again thanks for the support guys (I will always wear it)

No activity this weekend i'm afraid as we've had guests down.

The switches are for power and resent, with the toggles for internal lighting and the like.

I haven't included LEDs for disc activity. Thought about it but then thought well I never look at them. Do you really need a light to tell you your PC is on or a flickery one to tell you that your HDD is going.

And if i'm honest I forgot to drill holes for them anyway!!!!

Back
Top Bottom