Project Mega Rig

Soldato
OP
Mark A said:
Looking good, is that painted black in the bottom 2 pics?, or is it just the lighting. Looks good black if you have painted it.

Well I was toying with the idea of anodising or painting the inside of the case. But that would mean de-riviting the whole case, then putting it all back together again. I know I could take it all apart, but I wasn't confident in my ability to put it all back together properly. So ive found the solution(RB Customs is going to kill some kittens when I say this); Fablon. Its a sticky back plastic stuff that really easy to apply and has a great finish. The finish actually looks like its been anodised and im very pleased with the results. Im going to be covering the rest of the inside of the case today. :)

Soldato
OP
P1010064.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010071.jpg

Soldato
OP
Drazic said:
Any updates dude?

Yeah. Ive put all the hardrives into the Smartdrive 2002c enclosures, and bolted the cover on. Ive attached the phase head to the mobo and tested for condensation(Seems to be absolutely fine) Ive put together, filled and bled the waterloop. Im now putting the PSU in and wiring it all up. Unfortunately im having problems with the phase unit detecting the PSU. If I can get that sorted, I should hopefully be finished withing a week or so.

Soldato
OP
The water loop is looking very funky is I say so myself. Its a pretty UV blue colour. The routing of the tubing was fun though, ended up having to go Pump>Rad>GPU2>NB>GPU1>Pump just to avoid silly tight bends. I also had to saw down the length of the mounting pins on the block so that they didn't interfear with each other.

Permabanned
messiah khan said:
Yeah. Ive put all the hardrives into the Smartdrive 2002c enclosures, and bolted the cover on. Ive attached the phase head to the mobo and tested for condensation(Seems to be absolutely fine) Ive put together, filled and bled the waterloop. Im now putting the PSU in and wiring it all up. Unfortunately im having problems with the phase unit detecting the PSU. If I can get that sorted, I should hopefully be finished withing a week or so.

Yeah i saw your post on XS, seams like Gray did not send you the detials how it works or the manual

Soldato
OP
Well im not having much luck with this rig. The PSU blew, and now both of my 6600gt cards are dead. Currently having to run a PCI 3dfx card(Which really doesn't like my 24" monitor, lol) Im also probably going to take out and redesign the drivebay cover so that its far easier to add/remove drives. On the upnote though, the chip isn't coldbugged;

frosty1gc8.jpg

:D

Man of Honour
Shame about the cards but at least they wernt exactly new. Blowing a pair of 8800's would kill anyone haha.

Similiar thing happend to my friend and now i know to invest in good powersuplis and it can all still go wrong.

Not sure if its been asked before but what are you planning to put in your water loop? Cheers.

Soldato
OP
MickeyFinns said:
Shame about the cards but at least they wernt exactly new. Blowing a pair of 8800's would kill anyone haha.

Similiar thing happend to my friend and now i know to invest in good powersuplis and it can all still go wrong.

Not sure if its been asked before but what are you planning to put in your water loop? Cheers.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't be happy blowing 8800's(Not that im happy blowing these like) Probably looking at replacing them with a 7900GS + 7300(Or some cheap PCI card that fits my maze 4 blocks). The waterloop is actually all finished and filled now, although I might have to drain it to sort tyhe drivebay cover out. In the end I went with Distilled water+ PT nuke+Pentosin G11 + 'invisible blue' UV dye. The PSU that blew was actually a Tagan UO1 480W, so quite a decent supply. Ive now replaced it with a 580W modular Tagan.

Soldato
OP
MickeyFinns said:
Ive been curious about this for awhile, is there anyway around psu's blowing?

Would using a pair of PSU's in a redundancy setup prevent the damage of a blow?

Not really. Most decent PSUs include clever circuitry designed to prevent damage to other components. When a PSU blows, its not the loss of power that damages the components, not normally a tempory power surge. Tbh im not even sure it was the PSU that took out my GPUs, it might just have been me being a bit rough with them. Strange they should both go though. Im just hoping its not the PCI-E slots that have died, as that would mean a new mobo, cpu and ram. :(

Man of Honour
with the amount of cash in your case and cooling might be worth upgrading lol.

Who made your custom phase unit? And what was the price if you dont mind. I would love to get one some time later this year but would really like a discrete incase one like yours.

Cheers again.

Soldato
OP
MickeyFinns said:
with the amount of cash in your case and cooling might be worth upgrading lol.

Who made your custom phase unit? And what was the price if you dont mind. I would love to get one some time later this year but would really like a discrete incase one like yours.

Cheers again.

Can't really afford an upgrade now though tbh :( Gray mole made this unit. If you want to know the price then email me(email in trust) as I don't want to plaster his pricing all over the net.

Back
Top Bottom