Project Scorpio .. early adapter or not ?

Soldato
I've actually been quite disappointed generally with the Xbox One. The 360 definitely had the upper hand against the PS3 but this time round the PS4 is the better machine IMO. I prefer the controller ergonomics, the hardware is better built and more powerful and the UI design is cleaner and more logical. Not only that but it was £80 cheaper at launch and wasn't bundled with that useless Kinnect camera thing. Also, despite it being 2017 Microsoft still refuses to fit rechargeable batteries in their controllers and, with the first gen of controllers, forced you to buy and additional adaptor just to use headphones with the thing!

Right now I if I had to choose I'd actually go for a PS4 Pro over the Xbox Scorpio even if the MS console turns out to be more powerful. Microsoft needs to make some serious improvements to its hardware design, UI and software range before I'd buy another one of their consoles.

I say this as someone who owns both a PS4 and XB1 BTW !

Just my 2c FWIW :)

Soldato
Nah, just sold my Xbox one S. Haven't even looked at the PS4 pro yet and I have PSVR.

All these new consoles are just lacking really, they need a year or two to get into the stride.

That and MS have only one exclusive that I bother with (Forza Horizon). They need a very strong E3 to get people to sit up and take notice imo.

Associate
ZG002;30495642 said:
Nah, just sold my Xbox one S. Haven't even looked at the PS4 pro yet and I have PSVR.

All these new consoles are just lacking really, they need a year or two to get into the stride.

That and MS have only one exclusive that I bother with (Forza Horizon). They need a very strong E3 to get people to sit up and take notice imo.
The worst thing about the Don Matrick era is the loss of several first and second party studios like Bungie and Bioware. What's left is kinda lacklustre in number at least.

Caporegime
I wonder what Microsoft will do with the Japan situation. Will Project Scorpio even get released there based on sales figures of 76,216 compared to PS4 with 4,345,264. Yikes.

Soldato
I wonder what Microsoft will do with the Japan situation. Will Project Scorpio even get released there based on sales figures of 76,216 compared to PS4 with 4,345,264. Yikes.
MS have never sold well in Japan though, so its more a case of getting anything they can over there.

Im not sure what the sales numbers are in the US (and less so in Europe) but MS will be much more worried if Sony are beathing them in those areas than in Japan (Im talking PS 4 Pro /PS 4 vs XBOne S since S's release)

Associate
will pre-order for sure, looking forward to proper 4k gaming as well as being able to play my X1 and 360 games on it.
I liked PSVR so I'm looking also forward to proper VR on Scorpio. don't let me down, Phil.

Man of Honour
will pre-order for sure, looking forward to proper 4k gaming as well as being able to play my X1 and 360 games on it.
I liked PSVR so I'm looking also forward to proper VR on Scorpio. don't let me down, Phil.

Is Scorpio powerful enough for 4k gaming AAA gaming?

I think running at 1080p60 with high graphical settings would look much better given the hardware.

Caporegime
Is Scorpio powerful enough for 4k gaming AAA gaming?

I think running at 1080p60 with high graphical settings would look much better given the hardware.

Probably not. They've already alluded to it using checkerboarding upscaling like the PS4 Pro. The problem is the developers - not enough of them are giving us options of 1080p60 or checkerboard 4K30. Sony and Microsoft should have mandated this right from the beginning. We do have checkerboard 4K30 (mostly using base res of 1440p) but the 1080p modes are still not hitting 60fps in the vast majority of cases, fluctuating around 40-50fps.

Associate
Definite day one purchase for me. Will be my cue to upgrade to a 4K screen. Bank card is sweating already as planning to chop in my Toyabaru GT86 around xmas too and get something a little more 'sensible'.

Shawrey.

Caporegime
No plans at all for me, the software just isn't there for me, Xbox has been totally lacklustre this generation.

Maybe the new generation will be different. ;)

Caporegime
Is it possible Microsoft could wrap Win32 games into a UWP package and run them on Scorpio? So, for example, you could get Borderlands 1 PC version running. It fully supports Xbox controller and also presents you with the PCs graphical settings so you wouldn't be limited to running the Xbox 360 version at 720p30.

Caporegime
Is it possible Microsoft could wrap Win32 games into a UWP package and run them on Scorpio? So, for example, you could get Borderlands 1 PC version running. It fully supports Xbox controller and also presents you with the PCs graphical settings so you wouldn't be limited to running the Xbox 360 version at 720p30.

In answer to this question, MS have something called "Project Centennial" which converts Win32 apps into UWP packages. Not sure whether it works with DirectX games though.

Soldato
I seen Phil Spencer (MS) has confirmed the Scorpio won't have any launch titles, hope MS announce something at E3 as this years games looks quite bleak when you look at other consoles.

Back
Top Bottom