Project Scorpio .. early adapter or not ?

Associate
I think it's more because their are no more generation gaps. The games will already be out, they will just need patched for the new console, just like the ps4 Pro. I don't think it'll matter what console you have now, no one will get left behind.

Soldato
Back to the drawing board tbh

As powerful as the Project Scorpio hardware is, 4K is an ambitious goal. While we don't know the ins and outs of the actual hardware just yet, Microsoft's E3 showcase gave us enough to make a few educated guesses—and the big one is that native 4K is going to be a stretch, at least without some sacrifices to rendering quality. Compare that 6 teraflops figure to existing graphics cards for the PC, and it doesn't bode well. AMD's R9 390X pushes around 5.9 teraflops, but the card struggles with 4K at 30fps. Even a top-tier R9 Fury X (8.4 teraflops), or an Nvidia GTX 1080 (9 teraflops), just barely scrape by.

Soldato
I know it will be more efficient than the equivalent PC gflop for gflop but I just can't see native 4k. I suspect it will be more ps4 pro equivalent with parts if a game at 4k. Unless it contains a Titan equivalent and costs £700:p.

Caporegime
I'm convinced Microsoft's own games like Halo Wars 2, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 will all run at 4K 30fps native. I think that's a bit of a comedown in frame rate but I've seen Digital Foundry analysing Gears and some parts of that game like the fire animations run at 30Hz on PC even in 4K60 mode. So the engine isn't really designed for 60fps.

Maybe they'll go the whole hog and give multiple options like on PS4 Pro - 1080p60 with all bells and whistles, 4K 30 with some bells and whistles and 4K 60 with less bells and whistles.

Associate
I'm convinced Microsoft's own games like Halo Wars 2, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 will all run at 4K 30fps native. I think that's a bit of a comedown in frame rate but I've seen Digital Foundry analysing Gears and some parts of that game like the fire animations run at 30Hz on PC even in 4K60 mode. So the engine isn't really designed for 60fps.

Maybe they'll go the whole hog and give multiple options like on PS4 Pro - 1080p60 with all bells and whistles, 4K 30 with some bells and whistles and 4K 60 with less bells and whistles.

gears 4 on xbox one already running 60FPS on multiplayer mode, 30FPS on singleplayer and horde mode?

this can't change on new console, just be 4k

just look at forza apex on pc, what spec is required for 4k? thats new xbox

Soldato
Was thinking about this tonight again, What do you think HDMI 2.0 only or a display port on there as well? Im using a 40" 4k monitor right now but on HDMI it will only do 30hz at 4k. Not currently a problem, HDMI on my Xbox Display port on my PC.

Guess I may need a TV to go with my Scorpio, which makes it an over £1000 investment.

Associate
Not for me, I'm just not really interested in Microsoft's games anymore really apart from Forza.

The only one on the horizon I've vaguely interested in is Sea of Thieves as Rare games were basically my childhood, but even then everything I've seen of it doesn't get me that excited.

Soldato
Not for me, I'm just not really interested in Microsoft's games anymore really apart from Forza.

The only one on the horizon I've vaguely interested in is Sea of Thieves as Rare games were basically my childhood, but even then everything I've seen of it doesn't get me that excited.

This is how i stand. I had a one s for a while after not owning a one and honestly i liked the console but felt the games to be seriously lacking. Im not a racing fan so pushing those aside im left with what i felt was a very disappointing Gears 4 and Halo and a few other meh titles...an upgrade in hardware shouldnt be the main focus for me.

Maybe they should get some top tier exclusives out first?

Caporegime
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/project-scorpio?xr=shellnav

This is interesting. They're still sticking to this moniker of "True 4K" gaming. So they must be pretty confident that their first party titles are going to be in 2160p with no clever upscaling or checkerboarding. Otherwise their statement is incorrect. Let's hope they don't get egg on their face. I'm willing them to succeed with this.

And having just bought a PS4 Pro instead of a gaming laptop, my eggs are all in the console basket now so I'll be getting this Xbox as well.

Soldato
Forza Motorsport 7 if it comes to PC like is suggested, will almost single handedly make the Scorpio almost pointless if you own a high end gaming PC. Most of the exclusives are now appearing on Windows 10 store, I see that as the direction of things to come.

Back
Top Bottom