Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

Just read through this thread and I just wanna say I feel for you @kai ......can't imagine amount of stress you and Mrs must be going through.
We had extension done begining of the year and was quite an experience. We joked afterwords that next time we should import German builders to do the job.
Finding decent builders in UK seems to be like finding gold, sad state of affairs.
Hopefully in the end it will be all worth at and you can move with your life and enjoy the house.

Nightmare about that leak but that bedroom view looks great! I'm sure it'll be great in the end but like a lot of these projects the journey isn't one you want to repeat.

That left hand side of your utility what's going there? First thoughts are looks like an outside tap/ plumbing looks naff and not ideal for a dishwasher/washing unit either as will push them further forward into the room.

Washing machine. It’s a non integrated appliance but it’s been correctly plumbed in now. That photo was taken before as they needed a tap to get water for cement, etc and was a temporary solution.

I would say that's a good call on the boiler. Once they start breaking regularly they are probably done.
A bit of unexpected expense now but at least you are good for years to come.
Its actually coming along quite well now and a nice win with the utility. A couple of leaks is nothing really as long as he fixes them properly.

Nice.
How have you found the quality of the Howdens kitchen?

So far it “looks” pretty good. The true test will be daily use. We had a lot of extra’s you can’t see in the picture like a huge larder with suicide doors and oak liners and wings. Hot water tap etc. I’ll take more pictures when the kitchen is finished.

We had a bad experience with the delivery and many items being damaged or missing. I think we ended up with 9 separate deliveries not including receiving random orders for other customers (like wardrobes). The sales rep was excellent; and was just as frustrated as us with all the issues.

We had the utility room free the microwave (£700) free as it was scratched and large amounts of discount overall (40-60% on each unit). I think it’s 33 cupboards in total. It come to £14,400 without worktops. If we hadn’t of spoken up and caught the developer out we would have had “customer pricing”. This was over £20k just for the kitchen alone.

All appliances are AEG including a large wine fridge, warming draws and an integrated ducting fan induction hob

Last edited:
Why did you get a WB, should have gone for a Viesseman or maybe a valiant ATAG or Intergas.

Also, you won't need 30kW unless you're heating a solid walled 500m2 grade 2 uninsulated mansion. Any installer should have done some heat loss calcs, or do some yourself. The heat geek heat loss estimator is surprisingly accurate.

Also, any boiler you put in should have an external temp sensor and be run off weather compensation. Hive/Nest etc should be thrown in the bin.

House is coming in nicely though, it's good to see it looking like a home.

Last edited:
Why did you get a WB, should have gone for a Viesseman or maybe a valiant ATAG or Intergas.

Also, you won't need 30kW unless you're heating a solid walled 500m2 grade 2 uninsulated mansion. Any installer should have done some heat loss calcs, or do some yourself. The heat geek heat loss estimator is surprisingly accurate.

Also, any boiler you put in should have an external temp sensor and be run off weather compensation. Hive/Nest etc should be thrown in the bin.

House is coming in nicely though, it's good to see it looking like a home.
I was actually a little concerned the WB 30kW version would not be enough. It’s a 4 bed with 2 bathrooms; 12 radiators and around 80 -100 sqm of underfloor.

The central heating output on the boiler is 24 kW and a 30 kW hot water output. The hot water /min rate is also 12.3 flow rate.

Do you feel this will be more than enough?

WB kept being recommended as a reliable brand; 10 -year warranty and we have several accredited installers locally. In the end we went with BOXT.

Last edited:
The 30kw hot water will be fine for both bathrooms. It will be majorly overrated for the heating, but that is common with combi boilers as you need the output for the water. Modern boilers modulate down when just doing heating so will absolutely fine.

It does feel like some critical components haven't been properly thought through! I'd have expected an unvented cylinder, provision for solar etc., zoning for the underfloor. Still, what an epic space it'll be afterwards.

Two bathrooms should be fine on a combi that size, but an unvented cylinder will always give more pressure when both bathrooms are in use, and does give the option of solar helping heat the water. It does take up more room though. Zoning can happen after the boiler goes in, but I agree does need to be considered.

Last edited:
It does feel like some critical components haven't been properly thought through! I'd have expected an unvented cylinder, provision for solar etc., zoning for the underfloor. Still, what an epic space it'll be afterwards.

We did not feel a need for an unvented cylinder, was needed. I know there is a a number of factors that impact pressure but it’s an area with 15-20 houses; demand is low in the area and pressure has always been excellent.

To add our boiler is in our attic. We do not have the space for this.

As for zoning the UFH has been split into 3 zones. Kitchen, living and utility I believe there will be two Wi-Fi thermostats in each area. I will take a photo of the manifold when next at the house.

As for solar panels; this is a future project. At the moment more is going out than coming in.

The house is only 9 years old and the insulation is always been good. I appreciate we have added a lot of glass but we when we brought down the ceilings during the work we found no insulation in the first floor ceilings. As such we have added and I've doubled down insulation in the loft and added A rated glass to the big sliders (bedroom and kitchen).

Last edited:
I get what your saying - I think the comments are because
1) in the future almost every house will have/need a cylinder for solar/time of use tariffs/ashp/gshp
2) the 30kw combi is way overspecced for heating and will be very inefficient

I imagine it'll be fine functionally, it just may cost a bit to run.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I think that condensing depends on the return temperature of the water, rather than the power put into it.

Manifold; with the 3 zones. Not been fitted yet only pressure tested. The thermostats are going back and being swapped for Wi-Fi

ze7zw5s.png

Did you self install the UFH?
Is it difficult?

No; left it to the developer. Does it look relatively easy, yes. However, I would not even contemplate doing this myself.

This product if installed correctly will be down for a very long time (pipe lifespan is 50+ years). It’s important its done correctly. If anything goes wrong its a huge upheaval to rectify as floors, skirtings etc have to come up. Even isolation can be difficult without expert help.

The manifold side also needs an understanding of plumbing and electrical knowledge.

With a trade you at least get assurance and a warranty. If done correctly very little can go wrong and it “just works”.

The install cost is expensive, but its something that needs to be done correctly (and first time).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom