Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

Seems reasonable. You don't want the cheapest engineer that overspecs the steelwork which in the end will cost you more.

I don't fully follow this. Do they not use standardized properties for everything? Or would a cheaper engineer use more pessimistic assumptions because they didn't spend as much time analyzing the structure?

We are down to the final two builders. We met with one builder on-site Friday and walked around the project. We also got to chat with the owners.

We now have the Draft Building Reg Plans and elevations plan. There is still plenty to do, such as the sections and details, as well as write up the construction specification. However, its something for the final two builders to review with the aim of finalizing a fixed quote.

Both builders can start work in April / May time frame so provided we get the quote nailed down over the next few weeks i can secure the funds (re-mortgage) and things should start moving quickly. Both builders see this as a six month project.

bEtLhRu.png

PGc0FOn.png

Last edited:
This is going to be amazing. Good luck with it! Sounds like you’re going through things really sensibly. Will have to bookmark this and remind myself of how to go through the planning stages before I inevitably have another smart idea in the future! We got badly stung with the first part of our extension.

Our preferred builder has caused a few red flags this last week; so we have gone back to the drawing board.
  • We visited a huge house the builder is near finishing (million+ house so was very impressive)
  • The quality of the work was excellent
  • We spoke with the owners as they were in the house at the time - all seems to be going well.
  • We then met at our house to walk through everything, to provide more context for him to prepare a final fixed quote.
  • He pushed and pushed to find out our max budget - i reluctantly provided and said £150K (my mistake). He knew what sort of ball park we was working with beforehand not avoid any time wasting on both sides.
  • He requested we list everything down on paper that we want. As such that weekend we provided a pretty detailed list
The quote arrived Sunday evening; whereby he has simply put his company name on top (no mention of any i.e. fixed quote, assumptions etc) and copy and pasted our list word for word with zero changes and put the price at the end (suprise, its the max budget).

TOTAL £150,000.00 Holding deposit required 10% (£15,000.00) 3 payments throughout project.
He refuses to provide any breakdown other than this is the total for the job. Plus he wants basically £60K to start (holding and £50k)

The quote also does not also include any figures for bathrooms; kitchens; flooring's; etc. All of which has been confirmed (verbally) are included, only over the phone he has said, ive ballparked £25K for kitchen and utility.

Is this normal practice for some builders? As you can appreciate this is a lot of money for us; and a huge project from our standpoint. I have asked that we have full clarification in writing on several items such as any assumptions. He does not seem to be able to provide this and wants to base everything off this quote.

We approached another contractor early on in the process who has provided full breakdowns including individual items as listed by a QS. He was able to do this; without the level of detail we have provided this builder.

Last edited:
I'd stay away. Remember he has been chummy and lovely all the way along because he wants the sale. It sounds like he wants a pot to project manage your build with whatever white van men he can find.

There are no reasons I can think of that a builder will need any money up front, let alone a third of the budget. If it is for materials he should have a trade account so you should only pay for what is delivered to your site after it is delivered. You can be sure that he will not be paying any trades up front so why does he need 50k!

Last edited:
Did you speak to the owners of the million+ house out of earshot of the builder? Quite the tactic of some builders to manipulate two parties at the same time.

Instead of working out a proper build of materials & costs etc, he'll be working out the maximum profit from your £150k with an aim to squeeze you for more later. See how he reacts when you tell him you are no longer considering him due to his vague quote and requirement for upfront payment. That'll tell you all you need to know.

Don't get yourself in to the same position as this guy:

I hate dealing with the trades and recently had issues with one last year which still isn't resolved.

We spent ~£125k completely gutting our semi and adding on a new garage/utility last year. We weren't asked to pay a deposit, never mind a big chunk alongside it. Most weeks we typically paid him £1-3k.

We received a similar styled quote to your other builder with items referenced from the QS. Everything broken down into separate areas with their own appendices. I'd tell him to jog on.

So the builder has come back after i told him there is no way i can work to the following specification; i need further break downs etc.

I now receive the following email quote:

Partial demolition of existing extension, rubble to be removed.
Foundation to be raft construction, drainage to sewers connect to existing.
Scaffolding around extension to be built.
As set out on previous quotation carpentry, plumbing, electrical, plastering included.
Pc sum for utility room and kitchen, appliances, worktops plus fitting. £20,000.00.as per plan
Bathroom and ensuite same standard as client visited. £2500.00 per suite.
Flooring to match existing

If you require full breakdown by a QS extra cost to cover their fees will apply.

Like its better but even still its really light on deliverables. Also wants to charge for us to have a cost breakdown err?

Builders can be absolute nightmares! Thing is many are good builders but rubbish accountants and often poor at putting together an accurate breakdown but that doesn't mean you are getting ripped off

We've just shelled out £40k for a GF extension and re jig of layout. Quote he submitted was rubbish but we knew he was good because we're friends of people he's done lots of work for

And he didn't want a big chunk up front

Do your research and don't be afraid of asking for details of previous work and contacting those people

So the builder has come back after i told him there is no way i can work to the following specification; i need further break downs etc.

I now receive the following email quote:

Partial demolition of existing extension, rubble to be removed.
Foundation to be raft construction, drainage to sewers connect to existing.
Scaffolding around extension to be built.
As set out on previous quotation carpentry, plumbing, electrical, plastering included.
Pc sum for utility room and kitchen, appliances, worktops plus fitting. £20,000.00.as per plan
Bathroom and ensuite same standard as client visited. £2500.00 per suite.
Flooring to match existing

If you require full breakdown by a QS extra cost to cover their fees will apply.

Like its better but even still its really light on deliverables. Also wants to charge for us to have a cost breakdown err?
I think the fact he chanced you with 150k upfront shows where his head is at. I'd avoid on principle unfortunately. Remember it is easy to be schmoozed in the pre-sales cycle...

Mortgage offer has been accepted today (what a palaver). It is now with the legal team of Halifax. With a bit of luck, i will have the funds next week and the work starts the 1st week of May.

The builder thinks we are looking at 5-6 months. We plan to live at the house (until they need to breakthrough) - has anyone lived at home while extension work has been going on (any tips)?

Mortgage offer has been accepted today (what a palaver). It is now with the legal team of Halifax. With a bit of luck, i will have the funds next week and the work starts the 1st week of May.

The builder thinks we are looking at 5-6 months. We plan to live at the house (until they need to breakthrough) - has anyone lived at home while extension work has been going on (any tips)?
Dont make eye contact with the wife

Great news on the Mortgage :)

We've lived at home through a loft conversion and major cut and carve (absolute nightmare) and new kitchen / kitchen extension which was "ok" apart from almost a fortnight with no kitchen (which means no water, anywhere to wash up, cook, make a brew etc etc?

We got a container dropped for the loft conversion and put as much stuff into it as possible - also came in handy for stuff we bought for post work. It was a great thing to have.

Don't underestimate how messy EVERYWHERE will get (inside and out) - loads of tea, coffee and biscuits on tap for the builders. Speak to them every day, what do they need a decision on the followed ng day / coming week. Don't be afraid to ask questions and / or change your mind. Somethings may look great on paper but may be better if tweaked or changed in the flesh. Talk to your builder about it.

Try try try not to fall out with your builder and anything "extra" is likely to cost extra & get him to flag up anything over what he's priced for immediately and get a cost (even if ballpark). Will stop any nasty surprises at the end ....

Good luck and it won't go on for ever - even if it feels like it at the time ;)

Spent some time this weekend doing some 3D planning and renders; so we can walk around the house (virtually) to see the flow but also get an understanding on what we need to purchase etc. Here are a few snapshots.

There should be a huge flat skylight above the corner couch and two vaulted ceiling velux windows each side of the barn door as we have a glass walkway. However, i am not that good on the program to be able to add these :)
cJuoEGz.png.jpg

Another angle of the kitchen

XpUDWJS.png.jpg

New Master Bedroom
5o1Q55F.png.jpg

Snug
DA1nos6.png.jpg

Back
Top Bottom