Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

@kai looks great, what's the projected cost to build?

We almost have our plans finalised, going to be submitting for planning (8 week process atm), by the end of month!!!

Around £160K - but that is everything (kitchen, x2 bathrooms, utility, interior / exterior doors etc) (we had quotes over £250K) it was wildly different from builder to builder.

Good luck, everything just takes ages.
just make sure you factor Building control fees, structural engineer, potential addtional architectural fees and in my case i had to pay fees to borrow/change mortgage etc.

Last edited:
The calm before the storm; the ground work starts next Tuesday. The scheudle of work for the foundation is two weeks. The existing extension will be more or less also coming down; but will be utalizing the existing raft.

This past weekend i had the task of digging up plants; borders etc but will give a good indication of the footprint from the drone shot as we will be connecting the existing extension; with the red square (double extension) plus connecting the garage as the utility room/existing office..

oXJvRBx.png.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to the updates on this, should be a cracking project.

Like already mentioned regarding dust, it will get everywhere. When big smashy smashy and dusty works are happening, try tape up door and or have a dust sheet hung up to help on exposed penetrations. It will get everywhere!

Now, the important bit from me (that I say to everyone doing these builds).... Where is you lighting plan?

If the answer is "builder / sparky" is sorting it, then you will need some help, as a builder or sparky usually have less than no clue on how to spec lighting!

The right lighting can make even a average house look incredible, plus doesn't have to coat a bomb.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the updates on this, should be a cracking project.

Like already mentioned regarding dust, it will get everywhere. When big smashy smashy and dusty works are happening, try tape up door and or have a dust sheet hung up to help on exposed penetrations. It will get everywhere!

Now, the important bit from me (that I say to everyone doing these builds).... Where is you lighting plan?

If the answer is "builder / sparky" is sorting it, then you will need some help, as a builder or sparky usually have less than no clue on how to spec lighting!

The right lighting can make even a average house look incredible, plus doesn't have to coat a bomb.

I have been using the 3D render program; including location of sockets etc. We have agreed with the builder that every room will have spotlights; apart from the master bedroom (vaulted ceiling) and bedside mounted wall lights. While the kitchen island will also a hanging pendants. The house is also fully kitted out, as of today in Philips Hue. Every lamp in every room, etc is controlled.

I have also have marked out on our plan for wanting picture lighting; and outside wall lights.

Examples

4zL0ala.png.jpg

Boot Room Entry:

HCnd8BT.png.jpg

Bedside lights and hanging pendant.

yf0AyCh.png.jpg

Last edited:
Getting to this point; its been expensive and not something i had initally thought would have cost as much. i.e Building Control (£900) Structural Engineer (£1,600), Local Planning consultant help (£500).

If anyone is planning something like this; i would say add a good amount of contingency. I am saying this without even a spade going into the ground yet :(

I am going to try keep a log.
  • Planning, Building Control Architectural Design etc £4,680.00
  • Mortage Fees (transfer; early repayment fees ) £2,129.03

*if i include the purchase of new garden land and landscaping done prior to planning submission as it was required due to proposed size of extension.
  • New Land Purchase (est 100SQM) £4,322.00
  • Landscaping New Land / Fence £6,660.11
Total £17,791.14

Last edited:
I have been using the 3D render program; including location of sockets etc. We have agreed with the builder that every room will have spotlights; apart from the master bedroom (vaulted ceiling) and bedside mounted wall lights. While the kitchen island will also a hanging pendants. The house is also fully kitted out, as of today in Philips Hue. Every lamp in every room, etc is controlled.

I have also have marked out on our plan for wanting picture lighting; and outside wall lights.

Examples
Nice nice, you've really gone to town on this. The perfect way to Project Manage the build :D

What spotlights are you going for, as there's a huge varience in quality, plus light angles, lux output, colour (3000k always wins).

I found this thread while just doing a little dig through the forums, as I'm thinking of converting my garage to an office/gaming space, and wow! I'm actually scared just to think how much it might just cost! Mine is no where near as complex as yours! But I do think I'll need to submit for planning.. this is going to be exciting to watch as yours looks incredible!

Getting to this point; its been expensive and not something i had initally thought would have cost as much. i.e Building Control (£900) Structural Engineer (£1,600), Local Planning consultant help (£500).

If anyone is planning something like this; i would say add a good amount of contingency. I am saying this without even a spade going into the ground yet :(

I am going to try keep a log.
  • Planning, Building Control Architectural Design etc £4,680.00
  • Mortage Fees (transfer; early repayment fees ) £2,129.03

*if i include the purchase of new garden land and landscaping done prior to planning submission as it was required due to proposed size of extension.
  • New Land Purchase (est 100SQM) £4,322.00
  • Landscaping New Land / Fence £6,660.11
Total £17,791.14
You will easy spend north 100k for the whole lot I reckon

Looks great, that’s going to be a huge steel supporting the original upstairs of the house. Just bare in mind that you may get cracking for settlement upstairs when they remove the strkngboys / acrow props

le just doing a little dig through the forums, as I'm thinking of converting my garage to an office/gaming space, and wow! I'm actually scared just to think how much it might just cost! Mine is no where near as complex as yours! But I do think I'll need to submit for planning.. this is going

I did a full log of my garage to office - might want to check that out. There are also other members who have done the same.

You will easy spend north 100k for the whole lot I reckon

We have a fixed price project with our full spec at £160K

This also includes
2x Ex Composite Doors
Solid Oak Doors throughtout including a sliding barn door
1 master bathroom suite (including new tiles,finishes)
1 en-suite (including new tiles,finishes)
Kitchen & Utility
Appliances
Flooring (LVT) throughout
Quartz Worktops

Looks great, that’s going to be a huge steel supporting the original upstairs of the house. Just bare in mind that you may get cracking for settlement upstairs when they remove the strkngboys / acrow props

I have over 130 pages of calculations such as stress loading etc; here was the overview part i think you are reffering to.

pTAArR9.png

Last edited:
Are you getting the structural steelwork put into the ceiling so you don't have the "bulkhead" in your room reducing ceiling height? That's what I'd do if you can!

Got quite a lot of steelwork in my house and much neater where it is /can be hidden.

To give you a flavour, the big steel (if it ends up being the larger size) will be 305mm height and approx 300wide which is pretty chunky. Google will tell you the steel dimensions if you're not familiar.

Edit: whoops I realise I asked this before! Any updates on the builders proposal?

Last edited:
Are you getting the structural steelwork put into the ceiling so you don't have the "bulkhead" in your room reducing ceiling height? That's what I'd do if you can!

Got quite a lot of steelwork in my house and much neater where it is /can be hidden.

To give you a flavour, the big steel (if it ends up being the larger size) will be 305mm height and approx 300wide which is pretty chunky. Google will tell you the steel dimensions if you're not familiar.

Edit: whoops I realise I asked this before! Any updates on the builders proposal?

The plan is to try and get a lot of the steelwork lifted (if possible). However, in some cases it can look like a feature of the room. It is going to be reviewed as we go along.

Builders proposals; are finalized - we selected a contractor (£160k fixed) - how close we stick to that is another thing; but we have everything listed and he has signed off against it per the design. Offically;' ground work starts next Tuesday (Gulp!)

Last edited:
I did a full log of my garage to office - might want to check that out. There are also other members who have done the same.

We have a fixed price project with our full spec at £160K

This also includes
2x Ex Composite Doors
Solid Oak Doors throughtout including a sliding barn door
1 master bathroom suite (including new tiles,finishes)
1 en-suite (including new tiles,finishes)
Kitchen & Utility
Appliances
Flooring (LVT) throughout
Quartz Worktops

I have over 130 pages of calculations such as stress loading etc; here was the overview part i think you are reffering to.

pTAArR9.png

I love the way architects never draw the piers in for the steels to sit on, almost like they think they levitate seamlessly next to the wall ....... :cry:

The plan is to try and get a lot of the steelwork lifted (if possible). However, in some cases it can look like a feature of the room. It is going to be reviewed as we go along.
100% agree with this.

I advised someone else on here to keep it as a feature, have it painted intumescent paint with a top coat of your finished colour choice. Building Control should be happy with that as long as it has the correct fire rating (we needed 30mins but I coated it a second time to give it 60mins protection).

Then install an LED strips on the bottom flange near the root radius firing upwards. You'll have a great effect and won't need loads of awful spotlights. LED strip with 14.4W/m output worked well, plus I used 3000k as warm white gives a great warming effect. 4000K could also work if you like the daylight look.

Last edited:
Reactions: kai
Back
Top Bottom