Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
How's it getting on @kai ?
Update above; but been as i am going to be in a complete mess i have also agreed to have the composte decking extended much further out, pergola moved and an outdoor kitchen built when they do the new access (marked in green) with the whole are marked out with Larch Slatted Fence Panels.

outline.jpg

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Things are moving along (albeit a little slower than i would have liked). Builder has promised the roof of the gable will be on by the end of this month.

1st floor outer extension brick work is complete.
RCgQWdW.png

Old extension; outter walls still to come down ( and replace with glass, bi-folds and roof to be changed to flat rubber roof with full sky light.

YX7vT0m.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Been a really slow 5 weeks due to the constant battle of torrential rain. This held up the completion of the roof and brickwork. The developer wanted the roof to be completed and the scaffolding stripped before starting on gutting and knockthrough. There is still a large amount of brickwork left but they wanted the scaffolding out of the way.

Today the scaffolding is coming down and we are starting to see the size of the extension. We moved out on the weekend as well (stressful); for an estimated 2-3 months. So i am hoping to no have no more excuses and they can just get on with it!

Ut1rTr2.png

USCzCME.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Like a wrecking ball has hit the house. Most rooms are now destroyed. Can't even get to downstairs as the stairs and being removed.

It's kind of depressing; seeing your house being absolutely torn apart.

DoyH60a.png

30axCWY.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
First round of demolition downstairs has been going on this week. It's hard to appreciate the size of the space yet; but its really starting to open up. With the amount of glass and sliding/bi-folds it should be like a gold-fish bowl :)

This entire area will be the kitchen with the old main outer wall coming down Monday - going into the new extension.

g1wy0OF.png
#

The plan next week is to knock the wall marked down with the blue X and get the huge steel up and running across the length of the room, followed by a knock through into the new utility

Yo5mvdA.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
How's it going @kai ?

Ridiculously SLOW; it is coming to a boiling point now with the developer; as we keep getting told everything is dependant on the steels. They arrived Friday but, because of the amount of work required before going in they cant lift them until the required work is done. We are being told as soon as this huge steel is place its a case of putting things back together and they can hit the house hard. We are aiming for being in by Mid/End of November. The developer has the kitchen arriving at the end of October.

We now have to damage an untouched room above; etc. to support the rear house.

ahPVPxK.png

The existing steel has to come out; the existing roof built up to be a flat level rubber roof and a large glass roof panel installed.

Next up will be (hopefully by the weekend) these two 13m steels hoisted across the entire back of the house.

BKtXbON.png

In essence my house is DESTROYED at the moment.

YUegfHN.png

7gXCxYX.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
What kind of price per sqm is project on course for?

Not sure; if I am honest because the house is being completely remodelled. Every room apart from 1 upstairs is not being touched.

It's costing £160,000 but we have a complete finished product, basically if we are moving into a new house. No doubt the developer will be making a HUGE profit, but we have been able to pick exactly what we want without any real limitation.

- New Kitchen and Utility (20K budget allotted) - we actually went over this even with 40% discount from the builders account. He was fine with it as he refused to supply cheap appliances - he said something similar to Neff . We also went a little over the top with things like a huge larder, warming draws, wine fridge, self cleaning oven, hot water tap plus custom utility storage room fittings.

- Quartz and upstands; he introduced us to his supplier and we was able to pick whatever we wanted.

- 2x New Bathrooms fitted (including floor ceilings tiles); he again introduced us to his supplier and we was able to pick exactly we wanted. Again, we went all out but it was around 6-8K per bathroom even with his discounts.

- Flooring throughout. We wanted to match our existing flooring upstairs and down; so its over 100sqm just downstairs alone (£34.00 sqm)

- New Oak Veener doors throughout; 13 total and one huge barn door.

- All plumbing and electrics (spot-lights every room) apart from kitchen island and master bedroom (we would supply these fittings). Including Cat6 cable. Speaking with the electrician on weekend; he is basically doing a full rewire- as its easier for him.

- Underfloor heating downstairs across 3 zones
- New rads every room upstairs (including 2 designer column rads)
- Media Wall with inbuilt fire (we supply fire)
- All windows and doors per design (aluminum)
- Garage conversion; including two new composite doors (front and new entry old garage door).
- New stairs + glass balustrade
- Painting and decorating entire house
- New patio slabs laid outside and new garden entry with new brick work steps etc

Presumably that exising steel/new steel will have a nib in /structural column underneath? It looks like it has very little bearing/footings underneath it.

Are they rebuilding your previous timber framed extension too? A good bit of work done anyway and not too long till you're over the demolition negative progress and start to see some positive outcomes.

Re: damaging an untouched room - trust me you want the temporary acro props to be good when the old steel is taken out, you see plenty crap where people see issues under windows afterwards otherwise or doors not closing etc

Yes, there is a 300 column to be built bi-fold side then a column the other side that already exists from the ordinal house wall based on the previous end of the house. This will be around 400-600 but will be built into the kitchen as we are having a fake larder to hide it.

This should give an idea from the recent kitchen plan designs.

p7qrbd5.png

As for the old extension; yes more or less its a complete rebuild as they have to cut in a 3.5M new bi-fold so it was only a column of brick work left and the roof is going from vaulted to being a flat rubber roof with a 2x1 glass roof light.

Ours dragged on (mainly due to COVID, we literally started building just as it landed in the UK and was ramping up!), but my advice is roll with it, as long as it gets done, then don't sweat it, there is a sequence to proceedings that had to be, and sometimes you are waiting on key parts, but once you get to first fix stage, things absolutely fly as they say.

We started ours April 2021 with a Sept 2021 end date.. the builders packed up March 2022! and I finished the rooms Xmas Eve 2022!

We are 5 months in; 2 months living out of boxes in a friends empty house. Issue is we only have this house until Nov/Dec and in the next 3-5 weeks our new furniture starts turning up :X

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I see, and looking at your plans, it's not like you can easily live on site as you pretty much will have building works on the entire ground floor!

Can you squeeze yourselves in the bedrooms? Our first building works on this house was rejigging all downstairs rooms, we combined kitchen/dining to a large single kitchen/diner and then rejigged the living room to suit.. we had to live upstairs, with a camping stove in a bedroom for cooking, and washing up in the bath for 3 months.. and with 2 fairly young kids (3 and 5!).. The Mrs was a real trooper, no complaints, just cracked on, it was like a nice adventure..

2 year old and bulldog- no way. We would only have 1 room upstairs now (not being touched) and that's the baby's room. That is full of stuff like our new bed/mattress etc being super king you cant MOVE!

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Starting to take a little bit of shape now; we finally had a full 5 days out of the developer this week after a few harsh words. I still fail to see how he will have us in before Christmas (builders promise).

1GAotXq.png

This is also to go next week and a 3M bi-fold installed. Roof light above is also ready for glass ( 2m x 1) in ceiling. You might be able to see from joists. We have opted for a fiberglass roof over the original design of rubber. I think the terms the developer used was he is no longer doing a EPDM and going to use GRP.
V3ayEIP.png

Still to knock through extension; into new utility room (yet to be timber framed etc as its single skin) and glass roof built above the floor to ceiling glass opposite the sliding doors.

hWHDEPY.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Yeah I think things always tend to take a lot longer. They'll also need to line up all the various trades to come in and work around each other.

I'm always surprised when people do a rebuild on this scale that they don't just go for a full demolition and rebuild. Cost-wise probably wouldn't be much difference as part of your costs will be to effectively merge it into the existing property without making it look **** - that takes time and money.

Rebuild; would cost a lot more. We are utalizing a fair amount of the old house.

No chance before xmas IMO. Thats full time for 3 months at least judging on some of the major refurbs around my way.

We will be in the house in some shape of form; we do not have a choice. It will not be finished 100% no doubt; but still needs to be liveable.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Fair amount of progress last week. It's starting to take shape and less like a building site each day.

F82uaK2.png

GRP roof went in last week. The stud wall is coming down this week and a 4 panel bi-fold going in.
mZHA1oI.png

Still need to knock through !!! :mad:
kFKFAKW.png

This was suppose to be flat glass on a vault either side but for some reason the developer decided to use Velux. We had been away for the weekend and they were installed. Not sure if I am going have him replace it yet.

pUAgCNl.png

Upstairs; is progressing quickly

YJqgIvu.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
It has been an incredibly challenging few weeks. This is by far the most stressful endeavor my wife and I have ever undertaken. I strongly advise against it (would have been easier to move). The novelty of living out of boxes in a different house quickly loses its appeal. While family and friends keep assuring us that it will be worth it in the end, all the enjoyment has been drained from this project. Even selecting items like bathroom fixtures and kitchen appliances has turned into a tedious chore.

Undoubtedly, disagreements can arise with any developer, but this particular one (as confirmed by his own workers) seems to "love drama". Without going into too much detail, a heated debate erupted this week. We've been requesting the installation of windows to make the house watertight, as we still have furniture in our current residence. However, the developer persistently refuses, insisting that the windows should be the last items to go in. It's important to note that plastering work has already commenced. He then proposed that we could have the larger windows installed if we signed a waiver, agreeing to cover any potential damage and replacement costs. After discussing it, my wife and I decided to accept that risk.

At this point, it's mostly finishing trades. We communicated our decision to the developer, but he became super irate, (infront of his workers). Threatning etc - I was ready to drop him :mad:

He was swearing and likened it to him coming to my workplace and dictating how I should do my job. He also kept blaming the archtect yet refused to speak to him as the contract is directly with us and not him.

Yet the next morning; he is calling like nothing has happened and happy as they come! This is appears to be a constant cycle.

Even my wife, who deals with difficult contractors regularly in her line of work, is finding it exceedingly difficult to work with this guy!

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Sorry you're having such a nightmare @kai. We had similar issues with our extension and our builder was atrocious. It was worth it in the end, but it's a horrible journey! You have to make a judgement about how to proceed, if it's costing you more money or there are big delays then it can be worth switching, or getting the finishing work done by someone else. You definitely need to get to a point in the build that the place is safe and watertight before considering this. Hope things get better soon.
I'm truly reaching my breaking point. We still don't have ext doors, windows, completed exterior brickwork, or even proper concrete floor levels for any of the new parts. Yet, today, we have a carpenter on-site building a media wall. I'm not a project manager or involved in the construction industry in any way, but I'm incredibly frustrated. Our deadline is the 18th of December, after this date we have no real place to live!

It's as if the developer is saying, "Who needs a watertight building but you can watch TV over Christmas?!"

We also have a plaster upstairs today but no windows or doors, its just everything is being done in such a poor order!

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
:(:(

This sounds like one of those Grand Designs where they spend Christmas in a caravan on site.

And I'm no professional builder but I've watched enough Grand Designs to know you don't go plastering walls before the building is watertight!

How did you end up selecting this contractor, I remember you had issues selecting a builder at the start?

I'm not that fortunate; I don't even own a caravan. :cry:

We invested a considerable amount of effort in our search for a developer/builder. Many builders excluded themselves from consideration once they grasped the full scope of the project, as they lacked the necessary experience and resources. Given our location outside a major city, we are somewhat constrained to working with local trades. While we reached out to several developers who typically handle projects in urban areas, their quotes exceeded the cost by over £100,000 for the same work, and they offered fewer finishing touches.

This developer was recommended by a local architect with whom we had worked with on a previous project. We spent time to review the developer's previous projects and speak with former clients. Their pricing fell within the mid-range, so we didn't opt for the cheapest option.

Don't get me wrong; the quality of work delivered thus far has been outstanding. However, we are now one month beyond the originally projected completion date, and realistically, we anticipate the project won't reach 100% completion until March 2024 (this is my guess). The project commenced on May 2nd, 2023.

The next two weeks are going to be quite interesting, given that we have significant furniture deliveries scheduled for November 11th. I can no longer delay these deliveries without incurring expensive holding fees.

I just wished we had moved now!!! :)

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Easy to see why you are frustrated and worried.

When you discuss things with the builder, what do they say? Are they working on other projects or having other issues? Do they respond well when you question them, particularly around the time scales and order things are being done?
Have you made ANY alterations/changes since the project commenced?

Things tend to get heated; as above He was swearing and likened it to him coming to my workplace and dictating how I should do my job. He also kept blaming the archtect yet refused to speak to him as the contract is directly with us and not him.
Yet the next day; he is calling like nothing has happened and happy as they come! This is appears to be a constant cycle.

In fairness, he calls to site every day to drop materials etc and will always return calls etc. But he is very defensive when questioned.

We can't afford at this stage for him to walk or for us to find a new developer. We need it water-tight and in some form of a livable condition. As much i hate to say it; he is holding the better hand.

No alterations or changed have been made to the project. He is building directly off our plans as outlined.

Is there a way to deal with traders/builders where a contract is drawn up where they are heavily penalised for not delivering X by date of Y? Is that a thing?

Yes, i believe there are rules etc. However i will hold my hand up and say we did a very silly thing! we had the delivery dates verbally outlined; we understood there would be some wiggle room as well builders are always behind scheudle. On signing the document he inserted the following

"Due to recent climate, we cannot commit to timescale, every effort shall be made to complete within a reasonable timescale."

Again, we was not worried as we had plenty of time even if the place was not finished; we could live in it with it being water-tight etc. Like 6 months in and only today, 1st fix plumbing is being completed (but hey, i will have a media wall this week)!. If do not laugh, you will cry.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Well depends on the form of contract but yes "Liquidated and Ascertained Damages" (LAD) costs or sometimes Delay Damages

Can be an agreed cost but has to have some basis of "inconvenience" or actual cost incurred in going past an agreed end date (which can change) and needs to be under specific instances and proven to be due to an event, action or inaction

I started looking into these items and it's such a grey area.

All we are going to do is we have a large sum left to pay at the end (following sign off by snagging and building control certifcate) any costs i occur i am going to deducte when i transfer i.e. nights at a hotel etc. Not sure legally how i will stand but it could be Christmas in a travel lodge!

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Not sure it is reasonable to expect a job of this magnitude to run to the outline plan date. I can see why most developers price themselves out of jobs like this tbh. (not to be mean to you, just another side of the coin!).

Oh we fully expected to run over and realize the magnitude. We just did not expect to be this far behind the curve. The developer keeps telling us things will start to move fast now; and they are but it's just hugely fustrating.

This is the current state of our Kitchen (today) (every room is more or less like this with the utality yet to be started)

WzAfujn.png

I guess, i should not be complaining as we have trades here working; i am also not in the trade but would have expected a different order of works. On the plus side; todays build of the media wall for the movie room is going look great. 70' fire with a 75' TV above.

rrdZ2ZK.png

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Having done my own much smaller refurb, it's amazing how quickly the last few things absolutely fly up. My house went from no floorboards to fully insulated and herringbone'd in about 8 of my own individual labour days. Fingers crossed for you!

I really hope so; do not get me wrong there are 4 workers here today of different trades. It's just so fustrating and somewhat crazy - for example: he has told the plumber to knock the heat on today to get some warmth in the house as they are plasterboarding --

The house has NO WINDOWS or DOORS - i might as well be throwing money in the air!!

Back
Top Bottom