Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

You see this a lot in my industry. He is trying to get you to fire him. That way he can present alternative facts etc. The problem is now, he'll use the PM to suggest delays in decision making etc... so make sure your PM has bonus payments or some incentive for killing himself for you.

Sounds like you handled it as well as could be expected in the circumstance.

The PM will be all over this: why because he is our next door neighbour. He is fed up of the mess outside his house for one and we get on really well with them.

You've got the patience of a saint, I think considering all his other crap I'd have been very tempted to at least put him on his backside once he decided to try the physical route.
The guy is in his 60's, its bonkers. There are other ways to go about it; that i can hurt other than physical that will not cost me my job.

Last edited:
An emotional incentive to work quickly is definitely a lever most don't get to pull!

Fingers crossed it works for you.

Not so sure now. Developer just knocked door and said "some guy just phoned me, i told him i am not interested in what he has to say" sounds like he put the phone down. He said he know's what needs to happen in the house. End of! if we want to waste our money that's fine by him.

Issue is i can't physically get him to work with the PM.

Is it worth getting PM to create their own "to-do list" and shadow checkbox? For each item you can then write your expectation then... and when stuff starts getting ticked off you can at least "report" progress...

This issue is so similar to my day job lol. PMs come in and **** off the experts. Experts say they know what they're doing. Sometimes I agree, sometimes not --- fall back is "trust but check".

We have already tried this; we have sat him down and gone through every item on our list and forced rough timeline dates out of him and expecations (as i quote he said "I dont do dates" - yet continues to miss them or change plans. We brought in the PM also in the hope it would be more accountable.

Last edited:
Awaiting round 2.

They have cut all the old radiator pipes off as it was suppose to be underfloor heating. Speaking with the electrician today, he was getting ready for fuse boxes. The developer was planning on putting down 5 zones of electrical underfloor each 3KW for the entire downstairs.

This alone would be: £4.05 per 1 hour just for downstairs. £600-700 electric bill a month for a few hours a day :o

I am so glad we caught this; the quote states: Underfloor heating installed entire downstairs: Provisional Sum for Plumbing / Boiler to be factored into quote.

Tommorrow, i am going propose they install a water system as there is no way we can afford the monthly bill. No doubt, he will want more £

In other news the kitchen is starting to take shape. The Quartz was templated today and the utility room on order. Howdens have messed around so much, i think today was our 7th delivery and we still have items missing or damaged they are providing the utility room at 90% discount. Granted, its only 2 larders, 800 cabinet and intergrated tumble dryer for £300.

8N5dqVq.png

cCdEgPH.png

Last edited:
Don't you normally install underfloor heating before the floor screed?
Wired in smoke / heat detectors present?
Extractor fans wired in?
Are you sure there is enough spots over the kitchen area?
Don't let them make a hodge podge of the splashback, ensure no gap above it
If you are going breakfast bar, ensure enough over hang, I've sat at far too many "knee bangers"
Painting after kitchen fit, although common thesedays, is ball ache, almost guaranteed spray on units, make sure they wrap it properly

1. I am not sure, the plan on devloper side was electric but i have found a potential solution today of a low profile (16mm) dual Purpose Overlay Panel that would use water.

2. Yes, wire by spotlight. We have 2 or 3 downstairs in total.

3. No extractor fan; we have a inbuilt extractor in the island on the induction hob (AEG Hob)

4 . Yes, there are 16 in the kitchen/dinning area area alone. We are having 3 large pendants hanging over the island. Lightbulb hanging down, so far.

4. No splashback only quartz upstands. The kitchen is not finished, we have cornice's etc to go on that should hide that top gap.

5. We are having 300mm overhang; there is also big corner posts to go on the island to push out further.

6. We have brough this up :( I would have expected at least a first white wash on the new plaster.

Last edited:
wow! :cry:

Going to assume the quartz worktop on the island is going to overhang more than that piece in the photos? Might be a tad uncomfortable to sit at if there's not much of it.

Heating: We have come up with a solution with the developer. He is happy, we are happy. We are going for a low profile retrofit water-solution. This is more expensive, but to compromise we are having nice designer radiators put on in the playroom, hallway and movie room. This reduces his overall fitting bill, but we get a cost effective (long term) solution in the largest part of the house.

Worktop - that was just the sample the company brought up, i simply placed it on the island. We are having around 300mm overhang.

However, the quartz selection has turned into a nightmare. We initially chose the worktop design we liked in May but couldn't get any pricing at that point since we hadn't finalized the kitchen details or island size. Fast forward to Wednesday when the Quartz company did the template. The next morning, the developer called to inform us that we had selected one of the most expensive designs they offer, costing £5K for two slabs, including fitting. This exceeded our budget, prompting us to explore alternative options.

Within 10 minutes - we informed the developer of our decision to explore other designs and obtain cost estimates with his recommended quartz company for alternatives as they now had all the measurments it would be a simple comparision. His response was unexpected - it was too late;they have already started templating based on our May selection and would be delivered early next week. If we decided to change now, they would charge for the slab.

:mad:

Last edited:
Things are progressing albeit a little slow

Worktops got fitted yesterday for island, counter tops and utility.

GxyaB2D.png

As you can see we went with plenty of overhang :)
gGALK3P.png

We also had to get some new radiators to cover hallway; playroom and upstairs due to changing from electric heating to water so went and purchased 10 old school rads (4 vertical)

naULFCp.png

Movie room is almost finished - floors, skirting and doors and that room will be finished.

gFASNIz.png

Doors are also starting to go on, plus flooring down in master.

YUBqpSk.png

Last edited:
Looking good

Hope you're pleased with it

It's been such as uphill struggle the novetly and excitement has worn off. These are the "nice" pictures. What you can't see is how far behind we are and the actual mess.

No bathrooms
No heating on or water underfloor system installed
No stairs
no sky-lights windows (just bordered), some windows are broken (smashed) or leaking
Brick-work not completed, so wet inside still.
No front doors
kitchen far from finished

All this has to be done by 18th Dec, he has no chance. These are just the items we need to move in.

Wow at the underfloor heating **** up. There is no way he was planning on electric, sounds like BS. Maybe it got forgotten about or he couldn't get the plumbers in but ploughed ahead anyway, it sounds ridiculous and unlikely but its hard to explain how the situation is where it is.

Was there no discussion regarding where the boiler and underfloor heating manifold was going to be sited?

Hopefully he or someone on his team has worked out what output you need in each area, or is he just proposing throwing this down on the floor to try and keep you happy? Same with the radiators.

That low profile underfloor will obviously raise the floor, you could be up to 30-40mm depending on finished floor covering, I wonder how that looks with the transitions to the other rooms ie a step. It will also affect all the kickboards under the units and the worktops will be a bit lower(whether that's noticeable or not).

Yes, there was a significant oversight, I agree. However, we only realised that Electric was being used when we spoke to electrican and i was questioning why we was having fuse spurs all over the walls.

We had always assumed it would be water, as the developer requested details about the boiler (make/model) before commencing work.

The discussion regarding the manifold occurred last week. I suggested placing it under the stairs since the pipes run down that wall, given that the boiler is in our attic. Now, I am being informed that the manifold ideally needs to be situated at the top of the stairs (boxed in, etc.) as it needs to be positioned higher for some reason. If it turns out to be unsightly, they will have to relocate it – that's non-negotiable.

abR3f2v.png

Radiators have been installed, and we had a plumber on-site all last week. The majority of the radiators are connected to existing points that were previously removed or modified. As for the output, I have no idea; a company is scheduled to visit on Wednesday. This is on the developer.

The low-profile option will raise the floors by 20mm (16mm profile) plus LVT by 4mm. The rooms not having the water system have already been raised; OSB has been laid, and the floors have been installed to achieve a level surface with no steps. The kitchen carpenters are here all week, and they are exceptionally good. I have full confidence that they will handle all of this seamlessly.

As you can probably tell from the above, I am relatively calm about the situation. I have moved past worrying; it's now the developer's problem to resolve. If it's not correct, he will need to address it, as I have arranged for a professional snagging company to inspect everything upon his completion.

*as i am writing this; they have just had a major leak in the house; water is streaming in through the ceilngs and spots. :cry:

Underfloor heating was suppose to be going down today; which never happened. Now the developer is saying as we have a hybrid approach (we added a hallway rads and rads to snug and playroom); due to him going to put down electric.

He reckons now; this is going mess up the termostats and going to have our boiler going on and off as they are two different systems.

He is saying the price for designer rads (4 new in kitchen and utility) is around £1,200 - this is about right plus all labour to dig floors and channel pipe in screen is about the same to install UFH. I am just not sure about it causing issues with boiler.

Rads have been installed where X is marked.

uhlQxPw.png

Last edited:
There should be no problem with the boiler powering both ufh and rads. The underfloor heating will be on a second zone and there will be a controller to power each zone depending on what thermostat triggered it (heatmiser is a common brand for this). The boiler will be on when one or the other is on (and if it is a combi when the hot water is on). There is no reason why this should be any issue what so ever. Basically, he doesn't want to (or know how to) install a ufh system imo.

This is my thoughts exactly; i am also concerned as my wife would rather go for radiators because if he has no idea how to do this UFH system; it could cause serious complications in the long run.

However, since he has messed up by not installing the ufh under the screed then it might be best to go for radiators. In the current energy situation I would not entertain electric ufh unless I had a large solar system with suitable batteries. And even then would be hesitant given heating is typically needed in the winter months.

There are new systems out; i have spoken with companies that offer a 16m overlay boards; that go down the pipe goes in to a groove *12 mm and then a thin insulation over the top then floor on top. No electric would be used.

Last edited:
Tomorrow marks the official day we were supposed to move in; however, as far as the developer is concerned, we have nowhere to live. I saw this coming from a mile away, so I've arranged accommodation with family over the Christmas period. The developer doesn't seem to care, even though we have a two-year-old, and the house is completely unsafe or secure (OSB front door).

He is working until the 22nd this week and then taking three weeks off. He won't allow his "boys" to work during this timeframe until he returns. Both my wife and I are stressed beyond belief; it's just one issue after another. We're hearing horror stories from some of the trades that have worked with the developer. Apparently, we're fortunate because some projects are two years or more without habitable living conditions.

Last week, we had two separate water leaks that caused significant damage (they come from the boiler, so he is saying he is not responsible as he did not touch). British Gas have said its because the heating as been off for so long and exposed to all the winter elements.

To top it off, the staircase was delivered, and it doesn't fit. If you're under 4ft, you're fine, but any regular height adult needs to duck. We now have to cut away bulkheads, staircase and landing to accommodate it, including adding more structural support into the hallway. He blamed our architect, yet refuses to speak with him. The architect has pointed out why he is facing this issue as he deviated away from plan.

ieUnViu.png

This is a bulkhead; you are at face level when walking down the stairs.

To top it off, we've had a painter here for nearly 2.5 weeks, and today was the final straw. We had already pointed out issues to the developer, such as not masking and painting over sockets, etc. We were told one room was completed by the painter on Friday and were informed that we could move our belongings into that room. Upon inspection, the workmanship is atrocious. I phoned the Developer today (Sunday); and asked he not return to site tomorrow morning. The quality of the work to date has been good; but this painter is on a whole other level as these are freshly plastered new walls. The developer has agreed this is unacceptable; but his excuse was they are rushing to get us into our home.

ZsWRIEr.png
BO2REa1.png

Last edited:
You never paint a wall with the sockets screwed in. You unscrew them and pull them out a bit.
As for the stairs you would have to deviate from plan a massive amount to cause that. Personally i think that's down to the architect.

Not the case unfortunately, due to his deviation from the plan. Steel was not used in that section per the drawing and orginal calcs. The steal beam was suppose to bolt into a new brick wall. The developer instead used a timber frame wall and tripled up the joists; as such building control made him add addtional support frames hence the bulkhead.

Last edited:
More issue

1. Plumber messed up and didnt cap radaitors correctly from end of old house - new ceiling ruined, this is the 4th leak that has caused damage. Developer blamed our boiler :confused:

2sXvKBS.png

2. Our quote states

2 x new bathroom suites (en-suite) and main. Supply & Fitting (mid-level pricing) a. Tiled and finished (floor to ceiling) b. Includes vanity units, Electrical wall Mirrors c. Similar spec to Dan’s home we viewed as client reference. Factoring in free standing bath / taps. . Bathroom and ensuite same standard as (Forest Lodge) £2,500.00 per suite.

Not sure where we stand legally; but he has now fitted one bathroom suite we outlined i.e we wanted free standing taps; a freestanding bath and vanity (way way before final quote stage). This morning; he has turned round and said we way way over budget we are up to £5-6K already. He went ahead and purchased items and fitted without us seeing any pricing or indications and is now saying the suite (£2,500) fee amount is needed to include floor to ceiling tiles; fitting etc.

He has provided an unrealistic figure as even before purchasing a single product he would be over that threshold and is now asking for a LOT more money (fixed price project). He is also refusing to show us any price breakdown of product. He want's us to take his word for it :confused:

Even things like Electrical wall Mirrors highlighted in the quote. He refuses to purchase as that's a client preference and "he does not do mirrors".

It's only a tiny ensuite; we have not even got the main bathroom yet :(

aahe2Yk.png

£2.5k is a laughable estimate for a bathroom.

Yes, agree but the quote says per suite and what we discussed verbally all aloing so thats just bath, and a small vanity unit. He now expects this to be including everything (including fitting). The houses we visted as client reference all was told under this threshold for the suite only. He does get huge discounts at a supplier he uses and kept assuring us this was more than ample.

Last edited:
Agreed. Each time I see you update the thread I have my fingers crossed you have some good news and am following the thread with interest.

What happened to the project manager you tried to appoint? Did the builder just refuse to work with them?
I notice in your above post you referenced a previous customer the builder had.... did they mention any issues they had during their build?

From your posts it seems like the builder is just trying to get the work done asap with as minimum spend on materials, etc as possible. What has his response been when you've reminded him of the original completion/move in date? Do you have much in the way of leverage from pending/outstanding payments to the builder from the total cost?

As above, can appreciate this is a horrible situation to be in. I think I would have probably sacked the builder by now and be looking to find another one to finish the works depending on how much money I had left of the budget and how much I had paid to the current builder.

He refused to work with the project manager and told him to **** ***. This was part of the very heated debate and things got nasty.

Yes, we visted two seperate customers and spoke with one at length. Both houses large developments (couple million pound developments), but something is a miss. Hearing to many horror stories.

Re completion date, he knew full well the 18th December was the final day of our house rental; and said im going as fast as i can and it's not really my issue :( As for sacking the builder its our own fault yes, we put ourselves in this position but there is only 10K left; we need him to continue as much as possible as we still do not have all our glass, even outside brickwork complete. He seems to think there is only a 1-2 weeks worth of work left (there is a lot more left, confirmed by our QS who he refuses to work with)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom