Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
It's odd because I'd expect to plaster up to the surrounds. Maybe it's a commercial reason he's delayed?

Or the fact there is like £30K of glass to go in! I have looked online and plastering can be done before windows, its just not standard practise.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
What sort of payment schedule have you agreed here? Do you have the protection of a large final balloon payment?

We have £30K left. It was 50K but we gave money last week as the Kitchen payment was made and Quartz. This is not to be paid until final sign off (snagging complete) and building control certifcate.
@kai - sorry that it’s so fraught. Main positives are that you’ve got trades on site AND your main guy is visiting every day. We couldn’t be sure if anyone would turn up, sometimes it would be weeks between anyone coming.

Push to be watertight be Christmas. We spent a miserable winter with some dodgy MDF boarding up - brand new kitchen fitted and working! Surprised we didn’t have birds roosting in there.

Hope you can focus on the progress that is being made and have some productive conversations with the builder.

He has promised again today we will be in by Christmas. He can't guarantee it will be 100% but will have a kitchen, and bathrooms finished.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Windows and doors and slowly starting to go in.

Orginal render design
f6ONRUf.png

As part of the original quote, we made the decision not to replace the existing bi-fold door on the right. It's a PVC door and is only 2-3 years old, so replacing it seemed like a needless expense. However, we are now reconsidering this choice. As you can see, it's significantly different, not only in terms of its profile (while all the other doors and windows are aluminum) but also in terms of glass height, handle height, and other aspects. The builder is changing the new door handles to chrome to match as this was an oversight on his part. However, to replace this leaf we would be looking at another £2-3K with fitting. We are not sure if it will be worth it or something we could decide to change at a later date if it is that obvious when its decorated and blended in.
gXaO2ip.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
everytime i see this thread updated i hope its a good update with the issues you had. What else needs to be done before you are watertight
Lots. Garage front need to be taken down and bricked back up with a door and window. Upstairs the Apex glass. a window cut out for staircase. We are also not technically water-tight even with the doors and windows in - columns of brickwork need to happen including headers above.

We have a few of these windows dotted around the place also.

Sru4muT.png
WJGk29h.png

Don't be killing your builder about completion timelines then start throwing in nice to have change requests :D
This is the issue

1. Budget - we want to stay within our allocation.
2. This will likely delay plastering etc. We have decided to see if we can live with and decide future state if its something that needs changing.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
If at all possible, swap them now.

The time, cost and disruption of doing it later is disproportionately higher

Also, now it's in your head, it will niggle away until you snap and change it.

Change it and change it now for your sanity :p

It annoys me now; but i think once it is done and painted i will not notice as much. It will delay the project (Keep in mind, we need to be in by Dec 18th, and its going be an extra £2-3K. Money we do not have right now).

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Would love some advice :x

Yesterday, the developer contacted my wife, informing her that he would be invoicing the penultimate installment next week. Initially, we had always agreed to retain £10,000 until the snagging process is complete. However, during the last payment cycle (5 weeks ago), he stated in both our presence to pay the larger installment now and withhold £30,000 until final sign-off.

Upon challenging this, he asserted that it was a mistake or a misunderstanding, insisting that we had always agreed to withhold only £10,000 (all communicated verbally, of course).

The concern I face is that settling this new invoice would take us to 93% completion to date. Despite my lack of expertise in the trade, it's evident that we are far from reaching this level of completion. To illustrate, the outstanding items include:

• Kitchen/Utility Installation (payment pending for the kitchen and utality to Howdens)
  • Utility Room Installation (including brick up of the existing garage with new a new front doors, windows and timber frame, insulate, screed floor etc.)
  • Two New Bathrooms (we have picked, he needs to purchase and fit)
  • Underfloor heating + him to purchase our new flooring for both upstairs and downstairs
  • Two Front Doors
  • All interior doors, architrave, frames, etc.
  • Additional windows and doors yet to be installed / arrive
  • Still lots of external brickwork to be completed
This list is extensive, and I've highlighted some major items. If I proceed with the payment, I fail to see any incentive for the developer to expedite the process, especially considering our need to occupy the house in some capacity by December 18th. Additionally, I find myself in a position where the developer could potentially walk away, leaving me with no materials (valued at way more than £30,000).

My stance is we , we've already disbursed payments exceeding the value of the work delivered thus far.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
What was agreed in writing before the work started? Did you have a schedule of works or payment timeline plan?

All verbal. This is all really the contract states in terms of T&C's

• Holding Deposit required 10%
  • Interim payments throughout project
  • Due to recent climate, we cannot commit to timescale, every effort shall be made to complete within a resonable timescale
  • Every effort shall be made to minimise disruption.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Ideally, you should have drawn up a contract that you both signed before you started, but that's in the past now.

That looks to be a lot of work left. How is the relationship with the builder now?
Ultimately you hold the bargaining chip of 30K unless I've read it wrong? So if he wants to get paid he knows he has to continue working.
The only downside is, maybe that 20K (again unless I'm mistaken) is needed to pay for materials and wages for his staff if he has a cash flow issue.

The verbal agreements are all hearsay, and is open to interpretation, and that's where pre-agreement contract would resolve this.

If I were you I'd put together a payment plan now which is staged at X point being done. Don't be surprised if the builder blows a gasket at this, so you'll have to explain to him why your doing this.

The relationship is quite volatile and appears to hinge on the time of day when dealing with him. His demeanor swings between very warm and very cold. While we maintain communication and he provides daily updates, he can become exceedingly defensive and easily loses his temper when faced with any form of resistance.

I would go so far as to say that he holds the bargaining chip in this situation, considering that there is a lot more at stake than just the £30,000. The kitchen alone accounts for nearly £20,000. If we proceed with the payment, he would have significantly more leverage, and the situation would decidedly tilt in his favor.

I am contemplating bringing in a QS at my expense to oversee the remaining work. This would ensure that payments are handled impartially and without bias. However, I am aware that this suggestion might go down like a lead balloon and will cost me more money.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I'm hopeful that someone can provide advice before I escalate the matter with the developer tomorrow. Tonight, we're finalizing the order for our kitchen with the designer, and we've discovered a discrepancy of over 500mm. We now need to reduce the size and eliminate cabinets.

Upon reviewing old drawings, I realized the builder made the wall the exact same size, perfectly aligning it when, in reality, the kitchen wall should be longer. This presents two significant issues:
  1. We lose cabinet space.
  2. The line of sight into the house is affected; the island is now aligned with the door (which is going to be a glass door), not providing the visual arrangement I desired.

X2OWPM4.png
JiIhhqW.png

The wood on the floor i have placed - indicates how much the kitchen wall is out. How easy would this be to add an extension to an existing timber frame stud wall (it's already been plastered front side) ? Or does he need to take the entire wall down and do it again?

I am just kicking myself i have missed something so obvious :(

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Did you check if the staircase has been measured / ordered in line with the "correct" wall position ?

The guy gives me Del-Boy vibes - honestly. He claims he has ordered it, but I'm skeptical. The wall position won't affect the staircase as the staircase was originally starting at the old wall position before moving.

Today, we're facing a new challenge. The kitchen is set to arrive on Friday, yet he keeps telling us he hasn't received the final price from Howdens. As part of the work, he has had us work with his kitchen designer he uses but they can't show us the price because of PII. I am at the point, i am just going take the design into another Howdens and get an idea.

Contrary to his verbal promises, the kitchen we showed him, with dimensions and worktops, was supposed to be within budget he set at the start of the project with ample room for movement.

Our quote explicitly states: "Pc sum for utility room and kitchen, appliances, worktops plus fitting. £20,000.00, as per plan."

He (supposedly) receives a 40% discount at Howdens and substantial discounts on Quartz from a supplier. During a site visits in April to a client reference site, he showcased kitchens twice the size with the same Quartz worktops we ordered, all within this price range. However, he is now claiming that fitting is £3,500, and worktops are £4,500-£5,000 with fitting. This leaves us with only £11,500 - £12,000 to outfit two fairly large rooms.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Can i give you a little bit of advice and you can take it or leave it.
Having this type of work done to your house is an extremely stressful time in your life and i have noticed in your posts you are getting quite angry towards the contractor
but now is not the time to fall out with him and have him walk off the job.
You will be unlikely to be able to employ anyone else to finish the job for months and by your own account would not have enough money left to do so anyway.
Getting any money back from the contractor could take a long time if at all.
My advice would be to be very polite but firm with him on what you want and expect but never let it descend into arguments or recriminations even if he is being unreasonable.
Just my two cents as they say

Solid advice. This Is the most stressed I have ever been, given that i have a really stressful job. Our discussions, my wife's and mine, revolve around this work approximately 99.9% of the time; it has become all-encompassing (we just want our house back).

Regarding collaboration with the contractor, my wife primarily handles interactions with him, as it constitutes a significant aspect of her day job, which involves managing challenging contractors, albeit in a different field.

Fitting a kitchen carcass before worktops are fitted does not sound like 3.5k work (eg 10days @350a day) but maybe 12k will get you all the cabinets anyways and he's just making up figures for his margins?
Yes, i mean he is not doing this for the benefit of his health (we get that), but i get the feeling here comes the this is going cost you!

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
It's wrong, it needs changing

It's not that big a deal at all, plant extra stud to extend to the correct length, plater board and scrim tape the joints then feather in the new to newly plastered side and the side facing the photo isn't yet plastered, so the plasterer needs to come back anyway.

The (what appears to be) the cabling for the light switch at the bottom of the stairs likely needs moving

Id aksi double check the staircase is measured and ordered on the longer / extended / correct wall length and position.

The new section of the wall has been added and plastered, as indicated in the drawings. This encloses the entrance, aligning with our intended design, so we are happy with this part.

blAckE6.png

We now have some lights and electric sockets on the hallway - small victories, but progress. Most nights, we no longer need to rely on a torch to navigate around to look at progress.

It doesn't help you now, but for other people. Never go with Howdens through your builder, it's the easiest way to take you to the cleaners in terms of cost. You can't see the figures and his discount will be anywhere from 40-60%. Plus they always ask for your budget, which you should never answer as their cost wall always suddenly equal your budget exactly.

Margin on worktops through a kitchen company is also circa double the cost you could order it yourself (and have them come template/install).

Definitely need to be firm with him as you are the client at the end of the day. Always keep back a chunk more money than there is worth left, they thrive on being in the advantageous position.
On Friday, my wife found herself in a confrontation with the developer over his insistence on upfront payment again. She started doing shorthand of the meeting, of which he could not understand so started to get irate and upsetting her. To which she called me and i had to come out of a work to calm things.

Long story short he said if you want to pay me in smaller installments; my work will align with the payments (doing it much slower)

To address concerns regarding the kitchen, she caught him in a lie and insisted on a call to Howdens, where they agreed to disclose the individual price breakdown at his consent. Later that evening, we reviewed every detail, and I managed to negotiated significant discounts on appliances, going into the design meeting with internet prices. While we may exceed our budget by a few thousand, securing the desired kitchen and design is pivotal aspect for us.

His organisational become evident again – we selected our worktops in June with his supplier, and the kitchen is scheduled for installation this Wednesday. Despite this, he initially states that the worktops would be in the range of £4,000 to £5,000. Later the same day, he calls whether we ordered granite or quartz, admitting they can't find our order and could we confirm the name of the worktop; what we wanted etc. Surprisingly, he hadn't even booked the supplier for the fitting. Now, his carpenters are expected to handle the installation, i was under the impression it was a fairly skilled trade :confused:

Fitting a kitchen carcass before worktops are fitted does not sound like 3.5k work (eg 10days @350a day) but maybe 12k will get you all the cabinets anyways and he's just making up figures for his margins?

He insists that the cost for the kitchen and utility fit will be £3,000 to £3,500 it will be 21 cabinets in the kitchen / Island and further 12-15 in utility.

Last week we got the floors screeded in both the utility and media wall for the snug plastered.

zNhNhsg.png

We are getting this insultated, framed and dot and dabbed this week. The floor had to be raised significantly to achieve a level surface throughout the entire downstairs. This was necessary because the area was previously an external garage, completely disconnected from the rest of the house.

I am also hoping that water pipe for the washing machine and dryer can be used for an outside tap, as they forgot about the plumbing for this :x
i2DqsxU.png

Let's hope the fire never breaks as its been plastered into the wall.
0ndMcdK.png

The developer has now addmitted that he won't be able to fulfill all the promises made a few weeks ago within the initially expected timeframe for our move-in date (18th Dec). He's facing challenges in completing the flooring, requiring over 100 square meters of underfloor heating (downstairs) installation before laying the herringbone Additionally, he won't be able to rip out of the master bathroom within this time frame.

As a solution, he proposes, at his expense, to reinstall the old radiators, provide space heaters, and install a temporary floor. However, we've are not happy with this offer, emphasizing our reluctance to deal with the mess and potential damages, especially considering that all radiators have been removed and walls have been skimmed.

Furthermore, he aims to complete the upstairs entirely before Christmas, encompassing all painting and decorating activities, doors etc. However, he plans to delay the master bathroom renovation until after the new year, a proposal that we find unacceptable, i do not want to be in a mess again upstairs.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Interested to get feedback here. Upstairs we have a few rooms they have needed to move doors across, add walls and general reconfiguration.

The quote states: Decorate upstairs (likely white/white gloss) and landing etc

This was my own text included when putting together the statement of work. The quote he signed states this exactly.

This morning he confronted me to confirm he is is only having his painter, paint walls he has touched. If i want to pay him extra for any private work that's on me. Is my wording open to interurpation or do people take this as paint upstairs, everything?

For example; the X is the only wall he is going do as it's a "new wall". They are white walls and he didnt secure the property for 2-3 months so we had all types of bugs, condensation etc inside this room so it 100% needs a refresh.

mSQ96kW.png

It's also starting to creep into other areas. This is my airing cuboard, he refused to finish with new plaster as it was 50% an existing wall and "sound".

48G9Cv5.png

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Agree with this, although at this point you can either argue with him or just get on with it yourself. With their being no skirting and empty rooms, you could easily sand/fill/paint the rooms yourself quickly. It will *^%% him off if you do it whilst he is there as well as he knows you'll be keeping a closer eye on him and the works going on.

If it was me and I was desperate to get in and the relationship with the contractor had gone sour, I'd just do it then hold some money back at the end to compensate for the materials/labour sacrificed for it. He'll struggle to argue what you've put above.

I mean technically, yes i could do the work myself but i have paid the contractor to handle this. He has receved a lot of money for this project and it's more the inconvience of taking time off etc to do this work and find out what paint etc the painter is going use to match etc.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Dear me. This guy... can you not drop him and go with someone else?

Per my post from last week:

On Friday, my wife found herself in a confrontation with the developer over his insistence on upfront payment again. She started doing shorthand of the meeting, of which he could not understand so started to get irate and upsetting her. To which she called me and i had to come out of a work to calm things.

Long story short he said if you want to pay me in smaller installments; my work will align with the payments (doing it much slower) and basically good luck finding a builder any time soon to finish for you.

He know's we need to be in, in some shape of form by December 18th; he is also holding a lot of money in product i.e. windows, doors, flooring, bathrooms etc all yet to be delivered.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I have a horrible feeling that he seriously under-priced the job and is now struggling to complete it on budget.
I did think at the beginning that you got a remarkably good deal in the current financial climate.
As for being in by December 18th is there any way you can afford to rent a place on a monthly basis.
I really think it is a bad idea to move in for your own sanity and that of your wife plus the relationship with the contractor will undoubtably be further strained by
the builders having to accommodate a family on what is still a building site

He openly admits that if he were to undertake the project again, he would need to add an additional £60-80K. While this statement seems questionable, he insists that he might struggle to break even on the current project. However, it's worth noting that we provided comprehensive support, including technical drawings and detailed itemized quantity surveying lists from other builders (with prices removed).

Regarding additional rent, that's not on the table for us. Currently, the project is incurring more expenses than income, considering not only the ongoing renovations but also the replacement of all items with new ones. Fortunately, we had allocated £20K in contingency for these items.

Blimey, this guy sounds like a carbon copy of our original contractor for our extension. I hope for your sake it's not!! Gives me palpitations just thinking about it (he was called Adam).

I can't see any decorator worth their salt only painting half a room. It literally makes no sense at all and the extra time for a straightforward square room is almost nothing once you've mixed pain and prepped one wall.

Get your big ticket items in and then sack them off. Get a trusted decorator in that can do the job nicely rather than any old person who will be on the cheapest rate and told to do things quickly. Yes, it's perhaps a minor loss on your part both financially and morally, but you want a decent finish. Falling out over decorating or jeopardising your move in date over this might not be the right move.

Keeping fingers crossed for you!

Not just Adam, but I get the feeling that this situation is not unique, and many people face similar challenges when undertaking a massive renovation job

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
This might sound harsh, but I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. This is his job and expertise. He's done his job poorly and placing any of that on the customer is completely unprofessional.

I would personally be looking to stay somewhere else at all costs, mainly for sanity. I would want to distance myself from it all and just come back when it's done, and face issues and what I would pay him then. Can you not stay with friends/parents or split the family in half and go to two different places for a bit? We had to do that during COVID when we got kicked out of rental and had a 6 month wait to get our first house purchase through. Those 6 months were very, very challenging but we got through it and came out the otherside with our first house.

We are already past the six month mark; we could technically stay with freinds or remain in the house we are living at the moment for a little longer but we have enforced the 18th Dec on the developer to force his hand and put emphasis on the job' before he was doing days, here and there and dragging the project out. We told him from day 1 we have to be in for Xmas (back in April).

If we dont force hand, this project will keep dragging on and on.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Things have become intolerable. Last Friday, we caught the builder in a lie. He claimed we needed to reduce the size of the worktop because the quartz we ordered doesn't come in a 2.2m length. He wanted to charge us for wasted fitting time and not being able to return the carcasses to Howden’s. Despite my 10 years of experience in kitchen designs during university (part time), he wouldn't listen. He was in a bad mood, making everything an issue. He knocked on my door 10 times that afternoon with questions like, "Do not speak to my builders without me being there; they are paid to work, not listen to your issues." I informed them that morning about our mold being everywhere problem due to the lack of outside brickwork and windows.

That evening, I contacted his worktop supplier directly, and they confirmed that all worktops come in 3.6m lengths. The supplier informed the developer, who perceived this as going behind his back. This resulted in an outburst of abuse over the phone directed at my wife, including threats and making her cry (she refused to give me the phone due to my anger).

Over the weekend, we decided enough is enough, and we are bringing in a building consultant/QS/Project Manager. Fortunately, we know someone willing to take charge and hopefully alleviate the stress. We believe these stunts won't work with this person.

Fast forward to this morning, I had a face-to-face chat that quickly turned nasty. I told him never to speak to my wife like that again, and from now on, he should deal with the Project Manager we're bringing in. He squared up to me, wanting to fight. I burst out laughing, and realizing I wasn't backing down, he threatened to walk off the job. He said the only reason he's staying is that we have a baby, and we need to be in by December.

Currently, I'm waiting for the Project Manager to speak to him (he has refused to work with him), but we'll see how it unfolds.

Back
Top Bottom