Project Whurple - White/Purple Watercooled Build - Changes to 3d printer build!!

Man of Honour
OP
y0 numpty how’s tricks? Vince nice progress!

We arent messing about in here, we are building things.

I think I forgot to mention that I actually got the gt2560 board working and playing with LCD's. I was so underwhelmed by I all I didn't even post. I also changed the current printer over to DRV8852 1/32 stepping drivers on the X and Y axis which is good and has made the thing a little quieter. Had to tune them down as they were delivered at 1.6v and im running them at about 0.6.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking good buddy. Staring at the ton of unfinished mod work of my own so nice to see something productive happening, even if it is somebody else's work :p

Firmware upgrade might be on the cards when I start tinkering with my Ender, so a bootloader would be pretty handy. Most generous of you sir, I'll trust you some deets.

Man of Honour
OP
Looking good buddy. Staring at the ton of unfinished mod work of my own so nice to see something productive happening, even if it is somebody else's work :p

Firmware upgrade might be on the cards when I start tinkering with my Ender, so a bootloader would be pretty handy. Most generous of you sir, I'll trust you some deets.

Awesome swing them my way and ill pop those bits in the post tomorrow. :D

Man of Honour
OP
Some updates on the x axis carriage. Its errr not quite there. Need to make some modifications but it was a decent first mock up for measurments.

Man of Honour
OP

any other toys you need while im sending? I have massive surplus of everything 3d print!?

Man of Honour
OP
Todays random update as a couple of things have moved along. I redesigned the x axis caliper as I am now calling it, there wasn't enough clearance before to design a part that would work with the threaded T8 bars so I needed to bring the bar inwards slightly but then realised I have a couple of very nice mounting points available to me by doing it this new way so I think this will be my final design for this part. Once I finished I cut a load of angles and cut away as much of model as I could to reduce the print time and plastic usage while still having a strong part, the motor actually works as a brace as well giving extra rigidity with the motor in place.

The print itself is a bit meh but it does the job perfectly:

Then I started working on the top mounts for the T8 bar, using the longest bolt available to me I have measured with a set of calipers and set it's position at the top which you can see is quite some distance from the rest of the machine, obviously you can't leave it like this but to get measurements you need to mock things up:

With the measurements I have designed a end cap with a captive nut that should work at the top. Right now the spacer is just a block with the right dimensions to marry up with the parts I have for the top but like the x carriage I will print it, put it in place, get some measurements and then work on a new design that fits perfectly. I was considering actually making it part of that end cap which is why it is in the same build area below while I am modelling:

And how it looks right now:

I have started working on the next part which is the part that will raise the 2020 extrusion up on the T8 threaded bar. again no need for anything complicated so I have been mocking up a part that will work in cad. I think pretty much everything will have at least one revision as getting everything just right can often mean making small changes to the model, for example I know for my printer on an m8 bar that I should set the size of the hole to 8.2mm rather than 8mm if I want that purfectly snug fit. What I am really saying is I just don't have the foresight to see the potential pitfalls before getting something printing.

Also minor issue, I am running out of the blue pla. I have carbon fibre, red or grey available after that and don't know what to go with.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
@LePhuronn - Sent that bootloader and ender specific boards over to you this morning :)

I do also have quite a few updates for this but getting around to posting it is taking time. I will keep updating as I move along :D

Stripping the old printer down when I finish work today for a load of updates including new Z axis bars (different pitch) all new bars for the bed, new bed, new top z mounts, new couplings for z, all new belts, basically just going over it and putting some of the spares I will not be using on my new printer on this little one.

It's been solidly printing for 2 days now and certain bits are looking to fail again so it's preventative maintenance.

Todays visor efforts as well as a mask im half way through printing, besides that I thought I would give a quick view of the how it's sitting right now:

Had to change over to the red for now as I think I have about 10 meters max left of the blue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dude! For some reason I've missed all these updates and never got back to you :( many thanks for sending over some stuff, very much looking forward to a surprise goody bag (new toys should stop me impulse buying things I don't need elsewhere :p )

Construction is coming along beautifully, looking forward to how she prints!

Man of Honour
OP
Dude! For some reason I've missed all these updates and never got back to you :( many thanks for sending over some stuff, very much looking forward to a surprise goody bag (new toys should stop me impulse buying things I don't need elsewhere :p )

Construction is coming along beautifully, looking forward to how she prints!

All good buddy! Hopefully some of it is useful :) I might have stunted my own progress somewhat by pulling the printer apart again before it did it for me :D, after a 24 hour printing stint on visors it decided to pull a belt off of a pully and fail half way through a print so I decided to use some of the parts i'm not using on the new printer on the current one. I ended up replacing all of the rods for the bed from hollow to solid ones as the cheap hollow ones are bowed, changed the bed, changed the uprights from M8 to T8 and added some flexible couplings, changed the top mounts to some with some bearings I printed before, basically gave it a full overhaul but haven't flashed it's firmware yet to deal with the changes. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

Weirdly the changes make it 2cm smaller in depth but add a couple of cm to the total movement back and forward because of where the bed is mounted. Also replacing all the wooden bed it had with an alloy one that is actually flat seems a solid upgrade.

Man of Honour
OP
it's all about experimentation at this point, keep going!

I'll finish it before long. It is really close, perhaps a couple of hours in cad and I recon I will be done, or at least done enough to print something with it once just a few more bits turn up. I have a couple of bits to work out still like what the footrpint will look like when it is done, how some things like the power supply and y rail will be mounted, should I make some funky enclosure out of ally or something or shall I print an enclosure for the board and aux boards im using. Im sure there will be plenty of messing about with it once it prints.

Man of Honour
OP
Little update on the X carriage @LePhuronn, I am sure you will recognise the carrier, now with BL-Touch and Titan Aero clone installed:

Might have to change the design of the bracket slightly to deal with the proximity of the pla to the hot end but so far so good. Should make for a decent direct drive setup.

Soldato
Hot damn.

Did the wheels and eccentric nuts come with the carriage, or a separate purchase? I need to replace one on mine at some point after an overtightening incident now leaves an annoying clunk and marks in the print.

Man of Honour
OP
Hot damn.

Did the wheels and eccentric nuts come with the carriage, or a separate purchase? I need to replace one on mine at some point after an overtightening incident now leaves an annoying clunk and marks in the print.

I can sort you out a much better quality wheel nut etc. Have a load spare! And annoyingly another 10 wheels on the way. If you show me what parts you need ill send you over one of these bad boys and the fixings etc fwiw all of the cheap black wheels will be being replaced with these Xtreme Poly wheels:

Soldato
It'll be direct replacements for the X carriage wheels at the very least. I think I can reuse the existing eccentric nut and mounts. Crack on with your own build and I'll get back to you when I have the time to properly check out mine ;)

Oh, and that bootloader is so very pink!

Man of Honour
OP
It'll be direct replacements for the X carriage wheels at the very least. I think I can reuse the existing eccentric nut and mounts. Crack on with your own build and I'll get back to you when I have the time to properly check out mine ;)

Oh, and that bootloader is so very pink!

Well once you have checked it out let me know, as I say I have more spares than I know what to do with at this point and would be more than happy to clear the space. As for the bootloader, I thought exactly that :D I had also never seen a usb drive directly wired to a ribbon cable before which was interesting.

Man of Honour
OP
I really want to see more photos of your computer! By the way, you've got skills with design and print.

Which computer buddy? My one or the wifes one I built earlier in the thread? Sure I can do a couple of little walk around shots :D

Man of Honour
OP
Both, thanks

I shall jump onto it a bit later today :D Always happy to share a few shots of the machines! My machine was never built specifically as a gaming rig, more a open budget powerhouse do it all rig focusing on things like ESXI/Virtualisation, rendering, gaming, heavy server loads, opencl, etc etc it needs to be able to do it all. The wifes as you already know if you saw it earlier in the thread is quite the opposite, a budget build (£400) with a view to building the very best looking and performing machine I could for that money, when I consider that her entire machine cost less than half of the cost of my processor just a few years ago it's incredible to see what you can do for cheap these days. I'll follow up with some pics a bit later this evening of both of our rigs. :D

Back
Top Bottom