PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

definitely be interesting to see how the optimisation and eye tracked foveated rendering improves performance compared to pc.

Bodes well if it can match a 3090 in VR !

I really wish Meta would enable eye tracked foveated rendering for PC for Quest Pro. This is the advantage that PSVR2 has when every headset has the capability.

I really wish Meta would enable eye tracked foveated rendering for PC for Quest Pro. This is the advantage that PSVR2 has when every headset has the capability.

I have to imagine that they're working on it, they're going to want it at least partially field tested for the q3 (assuming that has eye tracking).

The Song in the Smoke devs tweeted out the same conclusion a week or two back. They said they could do far more with the performance over the PC with the PSVR 2.

It's all a big win for playstation vr and the developers focusing on it, compromises don't need to be made for the lowest common denominator like they do in the majority of current vr development.

The possible downside is that the trickle over from the playstation 3rd party releases might not happen if they require targeted rendering. Hard to see them going out of there way to implement it if PC bound headsets remain in the small bracket of being near 1k plus devices and or the umph required is a 1k plus graphics card.

If all this stuff like OLED, HDR, foveated rendering works and proven on PSVR2 then shouldn’t be long till get PC headsets with it though probably cost a fair bit more

To be honest, OLED has disadvantages as well as advantages. I'm read - not sure if this is true - that PSVR2 uses pentile rather than rectangular subpixels, which actually effectively lowers the resolution. This was a problem on Quest 1 where it had decent resolution OLED panels, but had pronounced SDE. Quest 2 with LCD looked way sharper.

Also it's reported to have visible mura, where the pixels aren't always the same brightness, leading to ghosting.

After getting a Quest Pro I'm convinced MicroLED is the future as it's so sharp, the colours approach OLED on terms of vibrancy and it has excellent contrast, which is even better with local dimming of individual backlight LEDs.

The main things that future PC headsets will have over PSVR2 are pancake lenses (these have to be seen to be believed) and Wireless.

Eye tracking is probably the killer PSVR2 feature as every headset has it so it can be used not just for foveated rendering, but also for gameplay features.

Last edited:
I've seen that OLEDs and pancake lenses are unlikely to be paired together, the pancake lenses absorb a very large amount of light, and OLEDs cannot easily get bright enough to overcome that.

Headsets are now in the hands of all the usual reviewers. Don't know what embargos Sony has given them, but with only a couple of weeks to go it would be helpful to see some content.

If all this stuff like OLED, HDR, foveated rendering works and proven on PSVR2 then shouldn’t be long till get PC headsets with it though probably cost a fair bit more
supposedly the Crystal, but we'll have to wait and see I'm not taking anything any PCVR developer says on trust

I know it's a different design, but I didn't realise that controllers were this big! Compared to q2.

1801kue3n9ha1.jpg

I guess it has to allow for all sorts of sized hands since there's a 100% limited space, whereas you can just overhang the bottom of the q2 ones if your hands are larger.

Last edited:
I know it's a different design, but I didn't realise that controllers were this big! Compared to q2.

1801kue3n9ha1.jpg

I guess it has to allow for all sorts of sized hands since there's a 100% limited space, whereas you can just overhang the bottom of the q2 ones if your hands are larger.

I wonder if the Walkabout Minigolf two handed grip will work with that?

Last edited:
One issue with the tracking ring being so far back is it's a lot easier to occlude when doing bow mechanics. This was noticed by reviewers when playing Horizon Call Of Mountain at a recent show.

1801kue3n9ha1.jpg

It's part of the full body tracking as you can wear it like a thong.
50743141726_ec3ab89e9b_o_d.gif

Someone on the psvr sub Reddit has theirs already and since not under any NDA is posting what they like. From a quick read they are impressed with the cinema mode.

Back
Top Bottom