PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

Yeah we forget just how janky the CV1 and Quest/rift S tracking was when it released.

Anyone releasing inside out tracked controllers today has to catch up with Meta who are years ahead in that technology.

It will get better over time, and there are software fixes that can be applied to games where tracking still has to work outside of the camera view.

Having the tracking rings behind the hands also leads to a different occlusion profile. In some circumstances it may work better, but in other games (like bow and arrow games) it could be worse than controllers with tracking rings in front of or over the hands.

Not surprising it doesn't work on PC. It'd need a SteamVR driver, plus I imagine a PSVR client, similar to the original Oculus app.

As someone said, if Sony sold a PC edition at a higher price it'd sell bucketloads, as PC gamers have been crying out for an affordable, modern, OLED headset with inside out tracking.

Last edited:
It does sound good, but, none of the reviews that I have seen make me want to go out and switch from my Quest 2.

I don't have a PS5 so I would need to spend over a grand have a PSVR 2. And if I did have that sort of money, I think I would buy the Quest Pro.

For me personally I'm planning on keeping my Quest 2 even when my PSVR 2 headset arrives. I love the Quest but there are so many games which wont appear on it due to the limited mobile hardware in it. Even a potential next gen Quest 3 is unlikely to be powerful enough to handle ports of PC VR titles like Half Life Alyx, etc.

As someone who owns a PS5 but not a VR capable PC it's an easy choice to go for the PSVR 2 headset over any PC solution as that would mean spending £2000-3000 on a gaming PC! Even if you factor in having to buy a PS5 the £1000 price tag is still orders of magniture cheaper than an eqiuavelent gaming PC and PCVR headset.

The intial reviews all sound super positive about the hardware. The only complaint seems to be about the price which IMO is a little bit unfair when you compare it to stuff like the Valve Index,etc. I think the main issue is we've all been spoilt by the massively subsidized Meta Quest to the point where we expect a headset to cost no more than £400 :p

Last edited:
You can easily put together a pcvr ready computer for £1k I reckon. Second hand and b grade maybe, but very doable.

But if you already have a ps5 then it doesn't make much sense to do so in comparison! Though the software looks expensive! £60 for horizon looks crazy expensive.

Though the software looks expensive! £60 for horizon looks crazy expensive.

It does but most of the titles are VR updates so for stuff like Gran Turismo 7, Mo Mans Sky or Resident Evil Village you can buy them much cheaper especially physically. Even new Stuff like Walking dead Saints and Sinners is only £30. It just seems to be some of the Sony first party properties where they're price gouging pretty hard! I agree that the Horizon pricing is ridiculous given how short the game seems to be. At least it's just £40 if you buy it bundled but still pretty expensive for a shortish 8 hour single player experience IMO.

Last edited:
You can easily put together a pcvr ready computer for £1k I reckon. Second hand and b grade maybe, but very doable.

But if you already have a ps5 then it doesn't make much sense to do so in comparison! Though the software looks expensive! £60 for horizon looks crazy expensive.
I doubt a 1k PC will play gran turismo 7 and horizon zero dawn etc as well as a PS5 could, plus 1k buys you the complete Playstation 5 VR setup, if going the pcvr route you'll need to spend 400+ for a hmd on top of the inferior 1k PC. Playstation VR is better value than pcvr imo.

I doubt a 1k PC will play gran turismo 7 and horizon zero dawn etc as well as a PS5 could, plus 1k buys you the complete Playstation 5 VR setup, if going the pcvr route you'll need to spend 400+ for a hmd on top of the inferior 1k PC. Playstation VR is better value than pcvr imo.

I agree the hardware is better value, however the software is really expensive compared to PC and Quest.

If you have a PS5 then its a no brainer, but it's not that good value if your're ready invested into PCVR or Quest.

Interesting review - mentions some things not shown in other reviews like a small sweet spot and motion blur.

Still looks like an incredible headset. I hope someone I know gets one so I can try it.

I am tempted but i have a big expense coming up so i am trying to hold off putting anything on the CC. After seeing the reviews yesterday it does seem to be a massive leap forward in the technology.. Its just a real pity i cant play some of the older vr games but hey ho. I would also be interested in the Cinema mode but apparently its limited to 1080p which is odd considering the screen is 4k. I might get one down the line if there are a couple of games put on Plus.

Sounds like you guys need a real life meet!! Scary or what :p

It's called stalking these days.
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif

Due to the angular resolution there's not much point in cinema mode being over1080p.

I watch a lot of movies in virtual cinemas and the movies don't take up the whole view, and 1080p looks great.

Well My orders processing and money is pending in the bank now. Never been so excited to see so much money go out my account before!
My payment failed for some reason.
Paid it now, hope its not delayed as a result.. would be interesting to know when yours ships :)

Back
Top Bottom