PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

110 million budget, developed over 4 years. That makes it the most expensive dedicated VR product i believe, more than HLA which was around 60-70 million?. With that budget and development cycle of 4 years, that price seems to fit with what's being charged as an industry standard these days, regardless of the format. You could have course say that like Valve, Sony will be taking a hit on that because there's very little chance they'll recoup that budget with a limited user base on release. As it's a launch title and the hype train will undoubtedly move on to the latest and greatest, id be surprised if it recovers the budget in the longer term, and certainly won't turn the profit margin that games with a 100 million budget are expected to return these days.

larger line up than the original PSVR release, 100+ games in development, read above. I'm baffled as to why you believe, or are attempted to convince people that Sony have little interest in VR?

They've brought hardware to the table that has busted the industry standards for a reasonable price, received rave reviews across the established VR commentary circuit and wider mainstream tech hardware outlets, and brought 2 of their best selling franchises to VR (one detailed above)

Personally i have every confidence that one of the
biggest gaming conglomerates in the world delivers on the promise given the effort they put in to the hardware and initial release, and the previous record they have with supporting the original PSVR.

Why the zero marketing approach :confused:

I'm baffled as to why you believe, or are attempted to convince people that Sony have little interest in VR?

I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. Hyperseven had already cancelled his preorder because that's the way it seems to him. I am just saying I can understand why someone would think that.

It's something that some of the better reviews mention. That if you have a VR headset, it's really not worthwhile swapping over at the moment. Wait and see what happens with the game situation.

AS for me personally, I hope the PSVR 2 sells in the millions and does extremely well. Anything that increases the numbers in VR is good. The more people using VR, the more interest game and hardware developers will have in it.

What does concern me is the lack of backward compatibility.

I've got games on Steam and Meta/Oculus PC that I've played on every VR headset I've owned.
Games I've owned since I first got my Rift CV1 and which still look amazing today (Robo Recall and Lone Echo for example)

Even the Oculus Go could do 3DOF PCVR games using Virtual Desktop and a gamepad.

PSVR1 users should have been able to play their games on PSVR2.

I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. Hyperseven had already cancelled his preorder because that's the way it seems to him. I am just saying I can understand why someone would think that.

It's something that some of the better reviews mention. That if you have a VR headset, it's really not worthwhile swapping over at the moment. Wait and see what happens with the game situation.

AS for me personally, I hope the PSVR 2 sells in the millions and does extremely well. Anything that increases the numbers in VR is good. The more people using VR, the more interest game and hardware developers will have in it.

Definitely hope it sells really well to boost VR software for all, but at the same time, find some of the hype amusing :D

Can't wait for this.
Got RE Village, GT7, Horizon, Star Wars and Synth Riders to play when I get it. Might also get No Man's Sky and Kayak.

Also bought contact lenses to tide me over until the lens inserts start shipping!

Definitely hope it sells really well to boost VR software for all, but at the same time, find some of the hype amusing :D

TBF it is a great headset, which ticks a lot of the boxes that VR gamers have wanted, especially high res OLED screens, and foveated rendering.

If it were PC capable then it'd be one of the best tethered only PC headsets you can get.

However it isn't 'The One' - the mythical perfect headset VR gamers have been wanting for ages, as it's tethered, doesn't have PCVR support, and has fresnel lenses. Plus no built in audio.

As a console headset it's amazing, but if you're at the top end of PCVR (which is way more expensive I admit) then you're already experiencing next-gen VR, and would have played 90% of the games on the system.

If you haven't already got that then PSVR2 will be incredible for you.

TBF it is a great headset, which ticks a lot of the boxes that VR gamers have wanted, especially high res OLED screens, and foveated rendering.

If it were PC capable then it'd be one of the best tethered only PC headsets you can get.

However it isn't 'The One' - the mythical perfect headset VR gamers have been wanting for ages, as it's tethered, doesn't have PCVR support, and has fresnel lenses. Plus no built in audio.

As a console headset it's amazing, but if you're at the top end of PCVR (which is way more expensive I admit) then you're already experiencing next-gen VR, and would have played 90% of the games on the system.

If you haven't already got that then PSVR2 will be incredible for you.
It's not a deal breaker for me if it doesn't get a PC driver as I'm obviously buying it primarily to use with a PS5.

That said, I'd love it if someone developed a driver because I have a decent gaming rig and would like it for space/flight sims. In that respect the tether doesn't bother me as the games I'd play on PC will have me seated.

The big failing with every VR solution so far is that they can't simulate walking but these things really shine when you're either stationary or sitting down ... IMO. :)

It's not a deal breaker for me if it doesn't get a PC driver as I'm obviously buying it primarily to use with a PS5.

That said, I'd love it if someone developed a driver because I have a decent gaming rig and would like it for space/flight sims. In that respect the tether doesn't bother me as the games I'd play on PC will have me seated.

The big failing with every VR solution so far is that they can't simulate walking but these things really shine when you're either stationary or sitting down ... IMO. :)

That's where the standalone headsets shine, though they have low fidelity graphics you can take them to huge playspaces (max on Quest is 15m x 15m.)

I played Vader Immortal with a maxed out guardian area in an empty office floor, and walked through most of the levels, which was truly next-level immersion. When I hit the edge of the playspace I rotated the camera, turned around and continued walking. When you can actually walk around a level it really feels real.

There's also a game called 'Tea For God' which uses portals and other tricks to keep you effectively walking around in circles, but it feels like you're navigating a really large maze and you truly lose track of where you are in your room.

Seems like for PSVR2 the standard for 'roomscale' playspace is set at 2m x 2m. Still I'm betting that most owners won't have that space (like most PC VR owners don't). I have a reasonably large living room and even then my max clear width is 1.8m.

Last edited:
Is No Man's Sky worth getting for £18
I'd say no but some people seem to like it. I personally found it dull.

Edit: I'll qualify that with, I have it on my PSN account but won't even be installing it when my headset turns up. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom