PS3 - Cost and release problems due to Blu-ray?

Soldato
Bonjour said:
Would the Cell processor be suitable as a server CPU? Isn't it almost entirely geared towards FPU calculations?

with 9 cores i dnt thinks theres going to be a problem lol .... but the cpu is ment to be highly programable =S (i realy should keep a bookmark of all my info)

so it can bend and twist to the needs of whatever application is using it

IBM strategy with STI cell processor
IBM has an unmatched history and capability of building custom chips and believes the one-size-fits-all model of the PC does not apply in the embedded space; embedded applications will require a flexible architecture, like Cell. Cell also brings together, for the first time, many leading-edge IBM chip technologies and circuit designs developed for its servers.

http://www-1.ibm.com/businesscenter...featurearticle/gcl_xmlid/8649/nav_id/emerging

Soldato
knowlesy said:
this is possible ... however if you say somthing like final fyntasy which microsoft has aquird if i remember correctly that will surely need more that 1 disc
I can't see most FF games coming out on xbox. I know FFXI is coming out on the 360 but that's a bit different since it's an online game. But I imagine even FF games will use less FMV if the graphics of the next gen consoles are as good as they say.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Psyk said:
I can't see most FF games coming out on xbox. I know FFXI is coming out on the 360 but that's a bit different since it's an online game. But I imagine even FF games will use less FMV if the graphics of the next gen consoles are as good as they say.

i think your right ff11 will more than likely be the onyl one, its on the pc as well and i sure it would have been on the gamecube if it some sort of online capacity (remember the broadband was taken on the market).

Soldato
Psyk said:

ok i put this to you if the xbox can cater for normal and hd screens ...why bring out a hd dvd drive as an addon as hd dvds take up a lot of quality and thats just a 2 hour movie.... how will will they fit on cgi say somthing like mgs (which does have an UBER amount of videos in it) and gaming on top fit on a duel layer dvd and have the option to be played on for examples panasonics new 103 " HD screen ???? (without loosing out to pixilated issues)

Associate
hmm mgs1 and 2 had very little (no?) video in them at all, was rendered in game, and what i've seen of 3 that seems the same, intro was in game anyway.

Associate
NokkonWud said:
Actually, I'm 22. I am self-funded for University, was working 2 jobs, full-time university and pay for housing rent, phone and transport.

Thankyou.

Maybe watch who you call a clown in the future. Look at your previous threads. I run Sun Solaris with Oracle DB 10G on 5TB servers with Oracle Financials on middle tier systems and find it very rude when someone not out of uni calls me a clown. Fair enough?

Caporegime
bluesouljah said:
Maybe watch who you call a clown in the future. Look at your previous threads. I run Sun Solaris with Oracle DB 10G on 5TB servers with Oracle Financials on middle tier systems and find it very rude when someone not out of uni calls me a clown. Fair enough?

No, it's not fair enough, you were running your mouth in the previous thread regarding something time and time again. Nothing gives you the right to act high and mighty. I was out of order calling you a clown, but it wasn't unjustified, but it wasn't necessary. For that I appologise.

I may not be out of University yet, but I am anything but dumb, my records speak for themselves. I know people in full time work etc.. who don't work anywhere near as hard as I do.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
I may not be out of University yet, but I am anything but dumb, my records speak for themselves. I know people in full time work etc.. who don't work anywhere near as hard as I do.

That would be me :D

Are any PS3 games going to be on BlueRay discs though? I seem to remember something about most of the games (atleast originally) will still be on DVDs

Man of Honour
Robert said:
I think you guys show read this.

I don't know what to think regarding that article. The guy isn't that technically knowledged, but he does raise the good points that I normally say about most PS3 demos out there, including stuff like MGS4, they're all scripted sequences and stuff that'll run far better and prettier than they would when you're actually playing games etc. We really wont know if the PS3 is any better than the 360 until a year or so into both consoles releases.

Soldato
And judging by the fact even the developers haven't got a proper console [at the time of that article] we're in for quite a wait :(

Soldato
knowlesy said:
how will will they fit on cgi say somthing like mgs (which does have an UBER amount of videos in it) and gaming on top fit on a duel layer dvd and have the option to be played on for examples panasonics new 103 " HD screen ???? (without loosing out to pixilated issues)
Good point. Except for the fact that the cutscenes in MGS are usually rendered in real time. But I can see the problem for something like Final Fantasy where many cutscenes are pre-rendered. Of course there's still different ways to compress the video. It doesn't have to be in the same format as a DVD or HD-DVD video, they could use something like DivX if they wanted which takes up less space and gives almost as good quality.

Associate
The DevStation 2006 conference on March 1st/2nd will probably reveal more info from Sony as it is exclusivly about PS3 this year. As it is aimed at PS3 developers it might be the first real opportunity for them to get information on getting the best out of the console.

Man of Honour
Aren't sony cutting it a bit short at the morment? Spring 2006 release? 2+ 1/2 months total. I'm sure there were more details on the Xbox 360 this many months before the initial release. If nothing comes to light soon, then I reckon Sony are going to go back on their spring '06 and say it's either delayed, or they'll try a tighter global launch later in the year or something.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
DaveyD said:
Aren't sony cutting it a bit short at the morment? Spring 2006 release? 2+ 1/2 months total. I'm sure there were more details on the Xbox 360 this many months before the initial release. If nothing comes to light soon, then I reckon Sony are going to go back on their spring '06 and say it's either delayed, or they'll try a tighter global launch later in the year or something.

There is no chance in hell that the ps3 will be out in spring of this year, summer aint likely ethier.

Soldato
Dont Sony have a big Playstation 3 event planned for Feb this year?? Was on that roadmap plan they had at E3, i think a lot of folk are expecting one.
As for people saying its taking a long time, how long was anouncement of final spec, details etc and the release of the PS2?? i honestly dont know, thats the only reason i am asking, i am sure i read somewhere it was 2 months though.
Also with the Developers and proper consoles But the 360 launch party on MTV (yeah remember that) the kits where still just mac G5's in August i am sure, so that is not the main concern.
My biggest concern is the ramping up production of the Cell never mind the consoles themselves. But it is good that Sony IBM and Toshiba have agreed another 5 year deal to get the cell down to a 32nm process. shows the three of them have a lot of faith the the Cell, whcih can only be good from us gamers point of view

Back
Top Bottom