PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Associate
Did the the 2.5 update today cant find the new install software for new hdd installation can only find 2.4 have a 2tb ready to go. Do i need it?

Associate
Just spent ten hour trying to get the ps4 to see the usb drive with 2.50 driver on it.

What waste of time tried everything under sun. Used 3 different usb drives formatted them on two different pc as fat32 nothing works. What am I doing wrong did the PS4-UPDATE folder thing and 7 sec boot-up What usb drives are people using on here.

Soldato
OP
Just spent ten hour trying to get the ps4 to see the usb drive with 2.50 driver on it.

What waste of time tried everything under sun. Used 3 different usb drives formatted them on two different pc as fat32 nothing works. What am I doing wrong did the PS4-UPDATE folder thing and 7 sec boot-up What usb drives are people using on here.

Are you doing fresh format?

Format USB to default, make folder PS4, make folder Update inside folder, inside that one put your full 700mb+ PUP file.

Then put in new HDD, and USB stick, when you turn on PS4 should boot straight into safe mode and give message about HDD being changed or something. Then do fresh install of 2.50.

Let me know how you get on.

Soldato
Swapped my SSHD from the PS3 to the PS4 this evening, almost finished restoring. Then it's just a case of putting the old HDD back in the PS3 and restoring that one too. Long process!

Soldato
Finally got around to fitting a 2tb in mine, it replaced a 1tb sshd.

Seem to be going digital for a lot of games recently depending on price though, so thought it best to do it now rather than later when I have more digital games.

I got the portable seagate expansion 2tb, I found it was tough getting it out of the casing but I managed not to break anything and put the 1tb into that. So now I have a handy portable drive as well.

Just got to download my games again!

Soldato
OP
Finally got around to fitting a 2tb in mine, it replaced a 1tb sshd.

Seem to be going digital for a lot of games recently depending on price though, so thought it best to do it now rather than later when I have more digital games.

I got the portable seagate expansion 2tb, I found it was tough getting it out of the casing but I managed not to break anything and put the 1tb into that. So now I have a handy portable drive as well.

Just got to download my games again!

Nice one, you could have used the HDD backup feature? Saved some time re downloading. It wasn't released when I did mine, took about a week to re download everything :p

Upgraded to fibre now though so game DL's come down quicker.

I think without external HDD option to install games etc on the PS4 that 2TB Internal is pretty much essential for anyone with a fair few games. I've got about 700GB left out of 2TB. Hopefully Sony will add external HDD support down the road, or at least we get some 3TB / 4TB 2.5" drives that can fit inside PS4.

Soldato
Nice one, you could have used the HDD backup feature? Saved some time re downloading. It wasn't released when I did mine, took about a week to re download everything :p

Upgraded to fibre now though so game DL's come down quicker.

I think without external HDD option to install games etc on the PS4 that 2TB Internal is pretty much essential for anyone with a fair few games. I've got about 700GB left out of 2TB. Hopefully Sony will add external HDD support down the road, or at least we get some 3TB / 4TB 2.5" drives that can fit inside PS4.

Hi
Yeah I was aware of the new backup feature but I was not sure how long it would take to backup games compared to just redownloading and wasn't sure if you could select what games to backup. Got 100mb line anyway which normally DL games in a fairly quick time.

Im hoping 2tb will be plenty for me and sure it will be.

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi
Yeah I was aware of the new backup feature but I was not sure how long it would take to backup games compared to just redownloading and wasn't sure if you could select what games to backup. Got 100mb line anyway which normally DL games in a fairly quick time.

Im hoping 2tb will be plenty for me and sure it will be.

Cheers

:eek::eek:

100mb line !

Jealous :o

Soldato
:D I thought 100mb was the norm. Am I getting confused with the mb/mbps jargon. Sorry not that techie!:o

I got my hdd from Argos and it had the spinpoint m9t inside so pretty pleased there considering its dearer to buy it as just the hdd.

Soldato
Since installing this m9t 2tb into my ps4, I have heard a faint beep, I've searched it and it seems to be a common thing with this hdd.
Not to bothered as its not all the time, but does anyone know what it is?

*did read it's something to do with the reading of the platters inside when it switches as it's apparently got 4 500gb plates?

Soldato
The one in my laptop makes a slight beep every now and again. Not heard the one in the Ps4 do it but tbh the fan drowns out most noises.....

Just noticed I only have 210GB free on my PS4 :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
The one in my laptop makes a slight beep every now and again. Not heard the one in the Ps4 do it but tbh the fan drowns out most noises.....

Just noticed I only have 210GB free on my PS4 :eek:

Its quite faint, I can only hear it when not gaming but again its very quite, must just be a standard thing with this hdd.

Soldato
OP
Since installing this m9t 2tb into my ps4, I have heard a faint beep, I've searched it and it seems to be a common thing with this hdd.
Not to bothered as its not all the time, but does anyone know what it is?

*did read it's something to do with the reading of the platters inside when it switches as it's apparently got 4 500gb plates?

That doesn't sound right. I've done a few of these 2TB's for people. None have beeped or any noise tbh. Maybe look at HDD trouble shooting or PS4 itself, could have beep error sound or something.

Should be silent.

Soldato
That doesn't sound right. I've done a few of these 2TB's for people. None have beeped or any noise tbh. Maybe look at HDD trouble shooting or PS4 itself, could have beep error sound or something.

Should be silent.

Yeah it should be, I will just see how it goes.

If you Google "spinpoint m9t beep" you will see its quite a common thing.

I might try a few things like power down the console and rebuilding database to see if that solves it. For all I know it might not be the hdd, it's just it started happening with the 2tb and searching brings up a lot of discussions on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom