PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Associate
Hi all,

I have just bought the Seagate 2TB Portable Expansion and popped the drive into the PS4 after swapping the PS4 drive into the caddy and the Samsung drive into the PS4. All went fine on the PS4 and external drive.

One oddity I have noticed is the blue LED on the Seagate caddy no longer works as expected. I can turn it on in the windows software (Seagate Dashboard) but the drive when power cycled keeps the LED off. The HGST 500Gb drive seems to work fine in the caddy apart from with respect to the LED.

Its not a big issue but just curious as to why it no longer stays lit even when trying to force it from the s/w.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Tried a 1TB SSD in my PS4 for a bit, tbh was running out of space already :eek:

Gone back to my trusty 2TB now, cheap and does the job :D

Surely Sony need to add external HDD support soon, those still on 500GB must be full unless they have bought like no games?!

I know you can delete a game each time to make room for a new one, but that also means losing all the updates and DLC, so re-installation of a game each time like that isn't really viable. Hopefully Sony get external HDD support soon for the 500GB peeps..

Soldato
I ain't seen more than half storage useage on my 750Gb SSHD since I got the PS4. Saying that though I've been deleting most of the cruddy PSN indie games that I never play.

Soldato
I know you can delete a game each time to make room for a new one, but that also means losing all the updates and DLC, so re-installation of a game each time like that isn't really viable. Hopefully Sony get external HDD support soon for the 500GB peeps..

Most people aren't going to be playing 500GB worth of games at once and they're probably not going to go back to them either. For most people a 500GB HDD will see them through the life of the console.

Soldato
To get an idea I have a 1tb sshd with the following games and apps.

Gtav
Zen pinball 2
Driveclub
Minecraft
Destiny
Bf4
Trine 2
Netflix

And I still have 713.6gb left from possible 860.2gb (other bit is used for ps4 resources)

So I would say 1tb is fine, I personally delete games I no longer play and just keep a certain amount installed.

Soldato
BF4 is my only real keeper. I've got FC4, DC, Warframe, plus a few others and I've got tons of space left. When I'm done I just delete. Install times and downloads are very fast for me so it isn't really an issue if I want to go back.

Soldato
OP
+1

average size of a game is like 15GB

Average is about 50GB for me !! :eek:

We've bought a few games though, I guess if you only have a few 500GB is fine.

Most people aren't going to be playing 500GB worth of games at once and they're probably not going to go back to them either. For most people a 500GB HDD will see them through the life of the console.

That's subjective though mate, if you sell games when your done or delete them after each play then yeah, but no way if you plan on keeping them, especially with them installed. I was closing in on 1TB, we got about 16 Disc games and a few downloads. The amount of space they use is huge !! You have to install them and if you delete them you lose all DLC and updates, so it's not viable unless your the type that sells retail games on. Digital buyers will not be fine on 500GB for the duration of console :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
How can your average size be 50GB? there is only a handful of games that even go near that size. so the ones that are much smaller would bring the average way down.

in fact here is a list of games

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Actual_Hard_Drive_Space

none of them are over 50GB so there is no way your average is 50GB

http://www.gamepointsnow.com/blog/playstation-4-ps4-game-install-sizes/

another list with no games over 50GB in size

like i say the average size is 15GB for a game, 20GB at a push if you only play big games

Soldato
How can your average size be 50GB? there is only a handful of games that even go near that size. so the ones that are much smaller would bring the average way down.

in fact here is a list of games

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Actual_Hard_Drive_Space

none of them are over 50GB so there is no way your average is 50GB

http://www.gamepointsnow.com/blog/playstation-4-ps4-game-install-sizes/

another list with no games over 50GB in size

like i say the average size is 15GB for a game, 20GB at a push if you only play big games

Are you being serious ?

The 3 games in my library are :

BF4 = 65.58GB
Call of Duty - Advanced Warfare = 43.37GB (before any map packs get released and patches)
GTA5 = 51.38GB

I deleted Call of Duty Ghosts as that was over 40GB to make way for the new one.

So 3 games are 159GB between them.. so the 15-20GB max is nowhere near a true representation. (As they are all excluding patches and season passes/map packs) so they will go up from early release.

Soldato
That's subjective though mate, if you sell games when your done or delete them after each play then yeah, but no way if you plan on keeping them, especially with them installed.

That's fair enough, but just because you keep a game to play at some indeterminate time in the future, doesn't mean it needs to be installed. There will be games you keep coming back to regularly but then there'll be many more that don't get used for months or even years.

In any case, the option for upgraded storage is always there, but 500GB will easily be plenty for most people who play a game, finish it and move on.

Soldato
Why is this debate even still going on.

This is a thread about helping people upgrade their PS4 hard drive.

If the stock 500GB is enough for you you that's great; but do certain people really need to keep going on about how they'll never need more than that in such a way that reads as if they can't understand how anyone could ever use more than 500GB. It gets tiring reading the same arguments over and over.

Soldato
OP
£59.99 for the 2TB caddy on Amazon, just take the drive out from the case as in OP, grab one while you can these go quick !!

This is what you're looking for: Seagate STBX2000401 Expansion 2TB USB 3.0

Soldato
Bloody hell, literally ordered one of these 3 days ago from there and it was £64.99 :( This on top of me just remembering I have a 1TB drive kicking about anyway that I took out of my laptop when I put an SSD in, so strictly speaking could have just used that in the first place :) Think I may put that in the PS4 and keep the 2TB for its intended purpose as a backup drive. 1TB will be enough for me in the console.

Back
Top Bottom