QLED vs OLED

Caporegime
ah - so that was the source of your M Freeman picture - I'd failed to find it - could be a good demo,

along with @Armageus problematic low bitrate/black-level trailer (what was the outcome ?)

I would be interested to know if any tv makes a good meal of that.

and - an excerpt from superman which vincent video highlighted for distinguishing white rendering betweenn lg&pan oleds.

Oled's from vincents reviews seemed to have good out of the box calibration ... maybe in their manufacturing 'nature' I don't recollect Led type.

The morgan freeman scene on the lg oled is my own photo.

It looks about as good as you would expect from a youtube video i.e. highly compressed. No doubt it will look fantastic like all the other marvel films in UHD (especially when put through MPC + madvr)

Can't say I've noticed any issues with near blacks etc. on my 2017 LG OLED. AFAIC, I am seeing what the director/cinematographer wants me to see.

It's a bit like ozark, everyone complained about it being too dark (even on LCD sets) and having to crank brightness up but this is what the cinematographer wanted.......

https://decider.com/2018/08/30/why-ozark-is-so-dark/

Think it is just down to the calibration presets, ISF and technicolor ones on the LG are extremely good, if not wanting to faff about too much, the only things you really need to adjust are OLED light setting, brightness from 50-51 and turn of eco stuff etc.

Soldato
I'm not sure what you mean by regular HDMI, I assume you mean if it's HDMI -> HDMI rather than One-Connect Cable-> 1C Box, in which case yes.
Correct, HDMI to HDMI as oppose to One Connect. Since we’re joining the TV to an AV receiver the need for something like One Connect is mitigated and it’s actually more of a nuisance.

Just been to the Sony web site to look at the AG95s. Intrigued to see what the 85” will be priced at. At the rate our home build is going those units will be available by the time we’re ready to buy. Does mean I can trail an HDMI under the flooring now before the new floor goes down. Was going to get a One Connect cable (reluctantly).

Soldato
@Purgatory, now I’m thinking about the XF9005! Hell of a saving compared to the 9 series QLED which I’ve been looking at getting. I have some questions before I go to check one out.

Is the UI really as bad as people say? Are Sony still releasing updates for it?

Is it a regular HDMI? As well as cost, the QLEDs come with One Connect and I’d need the 15 metre cable which is £200 and very fragile.

The UI didn't bother me, yes it is android with sonys menu system on top too. I like android and the google store has way way more apps, games and movies and music etc etc. it's android tablet on your tv with 16GB storage. Plus for me is I'm part of the google environment so an extra google device and have many purchases on the google store I can use right away and RS package comes with some free stuff from google either 4k movies or games I think, check here https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/sony-kd75xf9005bu.html and here https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/android-tv-google-play-offers .

I got the TV because of the image quality and size to price. It is a bargain now. Also they are not dropping the TV in 2019 (will still be for sale, but may go back up to the new RRP on sonys site £3k for the 75") and still going to get android updates from sony and their updates too. Android 8 I think it runs on now or it is going to get it soon. Also if you don't like android you can get any of the stick service and stick it on the tv or the avr. To me the most important part was the image rest is all extras. Remember the 75" was £4k when released and now £2300 at RS.

Last edited:
Don
along with @Armageus problematic low bitrate/black-level trailer (what was the outcome ?)

I would be interested to know if any tv makes a good meal of that.

I eventually found some settings that make things look much better (no thanks to Panasonic or John Lewis). As is mentioned above, I now have a picture that is more "washed out", compared to the "vibrant" defaults. The blacks were set "too black" and showing "too much" detail, compared to where they are now.

If I had access to a professional calibration then I'm sure things could be even better than they are now, but I'm pretty happy with it now - it's a long way from the unwatchable mess it was before on dark content.
1080P content looks great upscaled by the TV, and even SD TV content is still acceptable (Both contrary to what JL and some people here said, that anything other than 4k content would be poor on such a "cheap" 4k tv)

I won't be buying another Panasonic in the future however - I'd rather have something that delivers an acceptable image out of the box - Sony and Samsung have never disappointed me in this regard, even with their cheaper TVs.

Soldato
Correct, HDMI to HDMI as oppose to One Connect. Since we’re joining the TV to an AV receiver the need for something like One Connect is mitigated and it’s actually more of a nuisance.

Just been to the Sony web site to look at the AG95s. Intrigued to see what the 85” will be priced at. At the rate our home build is going those units will be available by the time we’re ready to buy. Does mean I can trail an HDMI under the flooring now before the new floor goes down. Was going to get a One Connect cable (reluctantly).

No less than £10k I imagine.

Soldato
You mean £15k + I dont see it being 10K for the 85" on release maybe by the time the 2020 models then 10K and under. But who knows ..

Probably, since Sony prices it really high usually. I was going by the Samsung Q900R 85'' which came out last year - also 8K. And that was 10k-ish, so no way it's lower than that, but how high - who knows.

Soldato
I did muddle things up a bit there. You did well to keep up! :)
Think you're right re pricing of the 85" - punchy. Might stick with @Purgatory and the suggestion of an XF9005 but with a separate tuner to do away with the clunky UI (navigating source will be done from the receiver). It did get some pretty good reviews + will put my old edge lit KS8000 to shame.

Soldato
Thanks to Vincent for his publicity on the issue

They are in illustrious company for scandals VAG, Iphone throttling, Samsung battery, Spectre ... sell the LG shares on Monday ?
They must be confident of a fix as it surprised me the openly admited it. Could open the door for refunds.

Soldato
As can be seen here the flicker/flashing problem is not only on LG OLED's

Top left: Sony A9F

Top right: LG E8

Bottom left: TCL 6 Series (R617)

Bottom right: LG C8

Associate
@Purgatory, now I’m thinking about the XF9005! Hell of a saving compared to the 9 series QLED which I’ve been looking at getting. I have some questions before I go to check one out.

Is the UI really as bad as people say? Are Sony still releasing updates for it?

Sony are really good for updates on their Android TV’s my 2016 XD80 is still getting frequent updates. Coincidentally I’ve just bought an XF9005 to replace it.

Soldato
Sony are really good for updates on their Android TV’s my 2016 XD80 is still getting frequent updates. Coincidentally I’ve just bought an XF9005 to replace it.
What is it which makes it so bad though? Reviews state it’s the time the UI takes to respond to an input. So is that processor or software? I’m amazed a firm like Sony could get this so wrong. They should have consulted the PlayStation folks who managed to nail the UI years ago!

Associate
What is it which makes it so bad though? Reviews state it’s the time the UI takes to respond to an input. So is that processor or software? I’m amazed a firm like Sony could get this so wrong. They should have consulted the PlayStation folks who managed to nail the UI years ago!

It’s the weak CPU and 2GB RAM, the interface isn’t bad it just can be a bit laggy at times. There are quite a few tweaks you can do to speed it up. I guess this is finally fixed with the 2019 models having a new SoC.

Soldato
As can be seen here the flicker/flashing problem is not only on LG OLED's
yes, so interesting that those manufacturers have similar algorithms for reducing noise on low quality sources,
that maybe done in the hardware, so although they can do some fixes in software (if they have enough oomph) that's less optimal.

MPEG/noise reduction is one of the few switches I enable for freeview SD stuff. and, absence of good algorithms on my humax freeview box means sd picture is not as good as the Panasonic tv.

Back
Top Bottom