QLED vs OLED

Associate
Not to sure on that as it looks like the mid range models only have the X1 Extreme Processor (But don't know how much ram the 2019 models have)
Only there Higher end models have the faster X1™ Ultimate Processor

All the 2016 > 2018 Sony Android TV's have the same MediaTek MT5891 SoC for Android with 2GB RAM. It's separate from the video processor.

The new 2019 models have a MediaTek MT5893 which has a much better GPU and 4GB RAM.

Soldato
All the 2016 > 2018 Sony Android TV's have the same MediaTek MT5891 SoC for Android with 2GB RAM. It's separate from the video processor.

The new 2019 models have a MediaTek MT5893 which has a much better GPU and 4GB RAM.
No the MT5893 and 4GB of ram are already being used in some of Sony top end 2018 TV's

My 2018 AF9 has the faster MT5893 and 4GB of ram ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Purgatory, now I’m thinking about the XF9005! Hell of a saving compared to the 9 series QLED which I’ve been looking at getting. I have some questions before I go to check one out.

Is the UI really as bad as people say? Are Sony still releasing updates for it?

Is it a regular HDMI? As well as cost, the QLEDs come with One Connect and I’d need the 15 metre cable which is £200 and very fragile.

Nothing wrong with the OS. It's more the fact that it isn't as fast as other operating systems.

It can do anything you want it just takes 2 seconds longer to do it.

Which isn't an issue for me. I've used built in Netflix and it's pretty fast.

Worst comes to worst you buy a fire tv 4k for £49. Personally I think it's fast enough for me.

I've got an LG with web os and I've got a fire tv in the bedroom for my plasma.

How often do you need to use as in navigate apps anyway?

I know I go into the app like Netflix and then stick something on and then leave it be. I won't need to touch the remote again for an hour or two.

I'm using mine in arc mode with a yamaha ysp 2700. The yamaha doesn't play nice with my ps4 pro so I have that connected to the other full bandwidth HDMI slot.

I don't know why the ysp has issues. I did do a firmware upgrade the other day that might have solved it.

But the tv I have zero issues with at all.

I might stick it in the bedroom to replace the plasma instead of going oled and go bigger in the games room in a year or so.

Soldato
Soldato
yes, so interesting that those manufacturers have similar algorithms for reducing noise on low quality sources,
that maybe done in the hardware, so although they can do some fixes in software (if they have enough oomph) that's less optimal.

MPEG/noise reduction is one of the few switches I enable for freeview SD stuff. and, absence of good algorithms on my humax freeview box means sd picture is not as good as the Panasonic tv.

These oled flickering problems maybe don't appear if your source is an external tv stick like an apple 4k tv or roku 4k ... since that will have decided how to resolve a streaming source and render each pixel, and may, have better algorithms/hardware ? ... I haven't seen that discussed

Soldato
Do you find the UI responsive?
Yes it pretty fast now

Quote from AVforums review https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-kd-55af9-oled-tv-review.15500
Finally, with the Sony AF9, I am using the Android TV system and everything works incredibly fast and is ultra reliable.
The use of Android (8.0) Oreo and the X1 Ultimate chipset has given us what Android should always have been on the Sony TVs,
where sadly, in previous models, we suffered clunky, slow and crash-ridden experiences.

The fact that the UI now works as it should, and incredibly quickly at that, means the AF9 is a joy to use for everyday tasks that most normal users will expect from their TV.
As AV enthusiasts we tend to forget that most normal members of the general public don’t tend to use external media boxes to get their apps and Smart TV functionality,
so the system on the TV must do everything that is expected of it. With the AF9 I can genuinely say I am impressed with the system; the logical and user-friendly layout of the screens makes perfect sense and it is the speed of use that impresses me the most.

Soldato
Popped to Curry's earlier (need some Cat6 for the snug in place of HDMI). Was given a tour and I must say, despite everything I've posted on here, those Sony OLED TVs are stunning.

Soldato
Anyone know much about Samsung QD Oled TV's ?
doesn't look like this is yet genuine qled (direct-view electroluminescent "QLEDs") , linked before https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/how-qled-tv-could-help-samsung-finally-beat-lgs-oleds/

edit excellent overview *****
Nanosys Talks Quantum Dot OLED TV & QD-MicroLED at CES 2019
interviewed by Vincent .. discusses oled max nits, and panasonic ex/dx phosphor problems and new HP monitor

updated oled panel

The new Oled TVs seen at CES 2019 are exploiting a brand new panel that is once again inaugurating a new subpixel structure. LG Display continually optimizes the subpixel structure to better match the requirements of the TV manufacturers, and this is the third change in structure seen in just one year.
The new tile still has a pretty big red subpixel compared to the others, but the blue subpixel also looks bigger. Overall, all subpixels appear larger and closer together. In theory, the increase of the surface of the sub-pixels should make it possible to increase the luminosity, thus the brightness peak. For now, no manufacturer has communicated on these changes and it will probably be necessary to wait for the first tests to form an opinion.
... diplomatic ?

also panasonic oled adaptions
do sony do the same ?

New OLED Panel "Professional Edition 4K OLED Panel". Until now, the panels could only be purchased on a modular basis - in a package (OLED panel + T-con), but orders for each part were made in GZ2000. Panasonic makes no statement about the contract, but there is no doubt that it is LG Display. This explains the higher price of Panasonic TVs - this and last year.
The modular foundation means you can not change the panel itself, but you can only distinguish the image quality by creating an image processing mechanism. Panasonic has been able to install their patented technology in the drive section. Panels are customized by Panasonic's engineers. As a result, the parameters that affect the image quality can be controlled more finely. The manufacturer ensures that the maximum brightness is the same, but the maximum average brightness level (APL) of the entire panel is higher. While the ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) behavior is better than the 2018 models. When a large part of the screen is white, the ABL function automatically limits overall brightness to prevent pixel wear from the amount of heat and energy needed to powering the entire pixel to its maximum brightness. There's nothing you can do about it, it's a built-in TV security panel feature.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just noticed hotuk showing 55B8's at £1049 crompton Moore, £960 Costco ... shadow of the B9 ?
... they were playing hard-ball over Christmas, or Brexit keeping folks wallets closed. ?

Back
Top Bottom