QLED vs OLED

Soldato
For a 55”, should I go XF90 or Q8FN?
OLED is out of the picture as I have kids that leave Sky on pause.
How do the viewing angles compare on both?
Thanks

Soldato
Thanks

Tough choice between those two models, this comparison may help.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-x900f-vs-samsung-q8fn/585/598

Seem like the Sony has slightly better viewing angles off centre.

Personally i would go with the samsung for i gaming performance and its operating system looks slick and fast.

Soldato
Well I have started to notice the micro blocking problem......................
interesting comments on avforums where folks have given an ultimatum for a fix in 2months

as I have kids that leave Sky on pause
can't you configure that on sky (or modify their pocket money accordingly) if you can get an oled ~£1K

q8fn still has a big (unjustified?) premium over xf90 though ? I would consider panasonic too since still not convince by limited fald array those 2 sets have,
and value for money/reliability, I would sooner bet on Panasonic ... which with the IPS screen has better viewing angles than either ... if you want to watch the
tv from dining room table or the sofa !

Soldato
interesting comments on avforums where folks have given an ultimatum for a fix in 2months
Yeah I posted there also.

I wasn't even looking for it... Just the other half was watching the voice also spotted it when I was catching up on some boxsets.

Highly compressed content will definitely bring it out.

Soldato

The Q9FN is outside of budget, unfortunately.

Tough choice between those two models, this comparison may help.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-x900f-vs-samsung-q8fn/585/598

Seem like the Sony has slightly better viewing angles off centre.

Personally i would go with the samsung for i gaming performance and its operating system looks slick and fast.

Thanks. I am currently leaning towards the Samsung.

can't you configure that on sky (or modify their pocket money accordingly) if you can get an oled ~£1K

... I would consider panasonic too since still not convince by limited fald array those 2 sets have,
and value for money/reliability, I would sooner bet on Panasonic ... which with the IPS screen has better viewing angles than either ... if you want to watch the
tv from dining room table or the sofa !

Do you know if it is actually possible to configure this on Sky? If so then I would be open to reconsidering OLEDs as this is the only issue I have. I current have a large Pause symbol burnt into the bottom left hand corner of my Panasonic Plasma which is why I had originally ruled out OLEDs.
Also, which Panasonic model specifically are you referring to please?

Cheers

Caporegime
Thanks

you can't go wrong with either.

the sony gets 8.3/10 and the samsung 8.4/10

which means it's pretty much neck and neck.

what is the difference in price? the samsung would have to be less than £100 more expensive to be worth it. if sony is substantially cheaper you will never notice the 0.1 difference overall.

Soldato
Don't get the Q8FN, it's edge-lit and as a result will inherently be poorer than a TV with decent local dimming. Confusingly, in the USA the Q8FN has local dimming, hence the rtings.com article peahead linked you to saying so, but the one you buy in the UK is definitely edge-lit. Richer Sounds page for the TV confirms this in the specs section:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/4k-ultra-hd-tvs/samsung-qe55q8fn.html

The Q8DN is the one with local dimming, but it's £1449. If that's in your budget, it's supposed to be very good so is well worth considering. Otherwise, the XF90 will be an excellent option.

Soldato
Thanks guys, especially nicktay as I had not noticed that the Q8FN was different to the DN - based on price I think that is now ruled out.

With the XF90 and B8(were I to reconsider OLED), how do the Smart TV apps compare to using a separate Fire TV (not the stick, but the 4K model) connected via HDMI? Is there any benefit to the onboard versions of Netflix and Amazon Video or is it simply convenience? Thanks

Associate
With the XF90 and B8(were I to reconsider OLED), how do the Smart TV apps compare to using a separate Fire TV (not the stick, but the 4K model) connected via HDMI? Is there any benefit to the onboard versions of Netflix and Amazon Video or is it simply convenience? Thanks

Does the older Fire TV 4K support Dolby Vision? If not that would be a benefit of using the TV's built in Netflix app.

Back
Top Bottom