QLED vs OLED

Soldato
Use the built in apps (Netflix, Amazon etc.) When they are paused a firework screensaver launches after a minute or so on my B7 I assume it's the same or similar on the 8 series.

It's a shame the tv can't detect when the image has been static for a little while and do the same on other sources.

Soldato
The thing I notice with OLED panels, I'm not so much bothered about the black levels. It's the motion, I see the demos in store and it's so smooth, like no blurring, are they 4K 120Hz or something?

Caporegime
The thing I notice with OLED panels, I'm not so much bothered about the black levels. It's the motion, I see the demos in store and it's so smooth, like no blurring, are they 4K 120Hz or something?

Nope, the demos in store are usually recorded under best possible circumstances to avoid people seeing any hiccups or glitches.

OLEDs do handle motion very well but you will still notice frameskipping and stuff in content if it's an issue with how it was recorded or rendered.

Soldato
The newer 120hz oled's now have black frame insertion, as an alternative to intermediate frame creation/motion-estimation, not sure which would give best results for fast moving football/f1 though ?

Soldato
The newer 120hz oled's now have black frame insertion, as an alternative to intermediate frame creation/motion-estimation, not sure which would give best results for fast moving football/f1 though ?

Current Oled have BFI but it reduced the overall brightness and causes a horrible flicker, Hopefully this is something they can fix for the 2019 range.

Soldato
BFI works basically the same as a modern PWM controlled LED lightbulb - they just switch on and off quickly. The problem is to solve the flickering you need to do this hundreds of times a a second, which isnt difficult for an LED bulb but quite a bit trickery for a TV. straight BFI on a 24fps source for example would only give you 48fps/48hz - way too low. You would probably need increase that frame rate by insertion to i guess 240fps minimum and then add the BFI if you want a chance of eliminating the flickering. Realistically, it's probably higher than that. I'm not sure how effective the end result would be considering BFI was introduced as an alternative to frame creation lol

Soldato
straight BFI on a 24fps source for example would only give you 48fps/48hz - way too low.
not sure what you mean .. do we know what LG oled's actually did -high speed photography ?

I assume you mean we want a small black period between the longer frame display period, so there is no persistance for the human eye,
so if you had 240fps, say 9frames of picture and 1blank (all x24 per s), what is the optimum for the human eye

edit:afterthought the 'old' lcd's needed to drive a black picture frame too, to kill the persistance the lcd had, unlike the quicker responding oled.
Led lights too, want to avoid flickering when dimmed, but, tv's need to change to the next, different, frame, so different requirement.

Last edited:
Temped to hit buy on the OLED55B8PLA for £869, but reading around on the net I'm still a little worried about the longevity of OLED, the TV will be on for around 6 hours a day, 50% of that time will be gaming (HDR Gaming).

I currently own a edge-lit 4k 55" Sammy, I'm just not a fan of it, I have had the panel changed twice under warranty due to light bleed, even the new panel still has slight bleed along the bottom, the viewing angles are extremely limited, input lag is low though.

Any OLED gamers here that can put my mind at ease?

Soldato
I've owned a B7 since last July - after being offered a warranty replacement for a botched repair on my Samsung JS9000 - and not had any problems so far. I've played loads of different games on it, putting in solid hours on things like RDR2, Spider-Man, God of War, Gran Turismo Sport and Black Ops 4. Some of the time I've been playing for 4 or 5 hours at a time and haven't had any issues. My only advice would be to not pause a game for ages while you go off to do something else. All the recent LG OLEDs have a firework screensaver that comes up on any app, so things like Netflix, Plex, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc, but it doesn't do it on things connected through HDMI, such as Sky or any kind of games console. Pausing a game for 5-10 minutes is probably fine, but personally I wouldn't leave it sitting there on the pause screen for any extended period of time.

Soldato
48" link seemed bad ? but it is interesting .. is the new oled going to have different image qualities (brighter/pixel-structure .... ???)

This new factory introduces a new production method dubbed Multi-Mode Mother Glass (MMG). The MMG process cuts three 65-inch Oled tiles and two 55-inch Oled tiles on a 8.5-inch motherboard. In comparison, the Korean factory Oled is able to cut only three 65-inch Oled tiles on the same slab. The two additional 55 "Oled tiles are produced at a negligible cost which also allows for the production of smaller slabs, as confirmed by LG Display.

Indeed, the surprise of this presentation is the appearance of a 48-inch Oled slab that will surely be produced via the MMG process instead of the two 55-inch slabs. LG Display will be able to continue to support the production rate of Oled 65-inch tiles while building a stock of 48-inch slabs to address a new market, that of "small" quality TVs, mainly in Europe and Europe. Japan. The production of these 48-inch Oled Ultra HD slabs could begin as early as this year, but the first 48-inch Oled TVs are unlikely to be commercialized until 2020

edit : NO same manufacturing technique ... might use updated pixel structure ... bigger substrate might mean more uniformity .. less DSE etc
https://www.displaydaily.com/articl...-to-look-at-profit-in-the-oled-panel-business
.. so folks will soon be asking which factory has my oled come from ?

46595611984_8f527fa102_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I'm considering a mega tv upgrade. Want to go all out. It will replace my current 47" panasonic (about 5 years old) and an Epsom 1080p projector. I have decided I'd rather just have a single device with a large screen.

Is the 65" Samsung QE65Q9FN a generally good choice? Reviews are glowing. I am not really bothered by QLED vs OLED. Whatever works in my book.

Associate
Soldato
I work with Panasonic and I can say with the FX700 variant and FX740 series we have had a rather large failure rate of the LG panels ranging from backlights to contamination inside the panels. Of course these are LG panels.

Why did Panasonic go from VA panels to IPS in there lcd range in the first place was it purely down to cost?

Soldato
Interesting to hear LG display will start producing 48" OLED panels, will be interesting to see how they perform and of course the price.

Soldato
I can say with the FX700 variant and FX740 series we have had a rather large failure rate of the LG panels
interesting - are the fx750 panels failing too ? was considering an fx750 in sales of last years models

Why did Panasonic go from VA panels to IPS
they used to be predominately ips eg. e60 / et60 series.
not sure if one is cheaper .. but a VA with a high contrast, but, only head on, is personally impractical ... but will have to look at these wider angle qled's.

48" panels : are they mixing the 8k panels and 4k on one glass sheet - a 48" 8k oled monitor would have a nice ppi

Back
Top Bottom