Quake champions

V F

V F

Soldato
I genuinely think thats a shame. I think QC has struggled a little with identity though. Given the issues so many people are getting and the steep learning curve the odds were always stacked against it. Veterans dont like it much for ez mode rubbish and lobbies. New players dont like it because git gud pwnage and trash talk.

Skill based shooters definitely seem niche these days. I played Tribes Ascend for a few years and that is an awesome game. But player base is tiny and new blood are all like OMFG HAAAAAAX because they dont understand the game and the fact it takes time to learn and do well (also tribes franchise has been around since q3 so you have 10+ year vets playing as well as pros).

I still don't understand how so many people cannot love fps arena games these days. I also didn't know Unreal got a DM6 variant.

Man of Honour
I also didn't know Unreal got a DM6 variant

Most popular maps gets remade, ripped, copied or badly ported between popular FPS, etc. games. Shame people don't seem to be able to handle games like this though - ETQW died off pretty quickly because people needed it spoon fed to them and rewarded for participating rather than having to put effort in to enjoy themselves.

God I miss UT04

Only thing I really miss was playing Invasion on Tokara Forest - the combination of pacing of the game mode and map ambience was pretty trippy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvmjNk7TaM0 though the game had impressively um epic map look and scale for its time everything else was done better in other games really.

V F

V F

Soldato
God I miss UT04

Most popular maps gets remade, ripped, copied or badly ported between popular FPS, etc. games. Shame people don't seem to be able to handle games like this though - ETQW died off pretty quickly because people needed it spoon fed to them and rewarded for participating rather than having to put effort in to enjoy themselves.

For some reason it looks better than Q3DM6?

The good old days of no awards, no achievements, no trophies. Nearly every recent game I see in Steam has the same award/trophies/achievements that is on console. Obviously since nearly everything is a port.

Soldato

Still got my original copy of ETQW. I thought it was pretty damn good to be honest.

I booted up the single player of Unreal a few months ago. That game is harder than I remember but it gives no hints. No objective markers, no help. No friendly person intruding on comms to give advice or outline the objective.

Just complete immersion in trying to figure out a way forward and stay alive. I have to say it felt refreshing.

Thing is, though, if modern games were all like that I doubt gaming would be as big an industry as it is, unfortunately. Casual players want fun, something they can pick up and play while dinner is cooking without too much investment of time and effort. I totally get that and in fact it is pretty much how most of my game time pans out these days. I simply don't have the time to invest untold hours into a game to develop and polish my skills.

QC is being propped up by old school fans. Same way QL has been propped up. Steam stats show that QL player numbers are very low with only an all time peak (since it came to Steam) of 6,154 players. Typical average this year is around 500 concurrent players.

Currently 184 players on QL. Compared to BLOP's 3 at 2,350 (steam only).

Battlefield 1 - this month alone the weekend peak players per day are 100k+ across 3 platforms (sometimes as high as 150-180k). Even in the week it has 50-60k players at any given time. But what is most telling is that the combined players on console are 5 times that of PC (PS4 alone is 3 times the number of PC players).

That is the crux of it. Consoles.

Good luck trying to play QC on a pad. Until you can (or Mouse and keyboard becomes mainstream for consoles) it, and every other attempt at a skill based shooter, is doomed to failure in the current market.

Just not enough players on PC these days, and the ones who do play are on Overwatch, BF1, CoD and any other number of titles that they can pick up and play and do relatively well at.

Why would they go on QC to get demolished and trash talked into quitting?

V F

V F

Soldato
Never knew you played Quake Wars back in the day. It was a fun game but it died as well since most did or didn't like to play team games back then. So many medics not reviving people, that was why I started playing medic in these games. Including Enemy Territory. Leaving packs wherever I could and always scanning for downed team mates. Not out playing Rambo. Or some git would get you with a panzer or mortar out of the blue.

Though Quake Wars never really felt like Quake to me apart from recognising the Strogg. It always reminded me of a futuristic battlefield/war type team shooter you'd expect from the year 2100/2200. Those flying vehicles were also crazy fun.

I think that was for many years I got burnt out of fps gaming. So many not playing as a team.

Brink was another game I loved but it got slammed for the amount of stuff on screen.

Man of Honour
Though Quake Wars never really felt like Quake to me apart from recognising the Strogg.

Yeah the aesthetic was a little off though technically the events of quake 2 are set in approx. 2240 with the storyline spanning from something like 2142 to 2245. Style of the vehicles especially is a bit wrong though I kind of like the take on the Strogg stuff.

Brink was another game I loved but it got slammed for the amount of stuff on screen

Brink had a lot of potential but from what I can make out 1-2 people in positions to call the shots were a bit convinced every idea they came up with was unadulterated genius and wouldn't listen to those that said some ideas might sound good on paper but were impossible to implement without getting in the way of gameplay, etc. eventual result was people leaving the company.

V F

V F

Soldato
Account Reset
Quake Fans,

On Thursday, August 3rd at 9:00 ET, we will be undergoing maintenance which will reset player data in preparation for a new update.

Reset from the accounts will be:

- User States (Armors, Weapons, Attachments, Shaders, Currency)

- Challenges

Players will keep:

- Champions

- Friends

- Skill rating

- Nicknames

In addition to these changes, there will be various bug fixes and performance adjustments. For the full patch notes, click here.

We appreciate your patience as we strive to make Quake Champions the best experience possible.

Thank you!

V F

V F

Soldato
Saw it on their forum.

CBT 13 Patch Notes:

New Play Now Screen
  • New screen layout integrated
  • Player can choose multiple game modes in quick match and match-make between them randomly
  • Tutorial videos available from Play Now screen

New Announcer Voice
  • Early CBT voice back by popular demand

New Social Screen
  • Player can observe all current in-match players and blocked players
  • Player can now blacklist players, which blocks invites from unwanted users
  • Player can now ignore user invites
  • Player can now report users

Projectile issue fixes
  • Fixed sync issues involving projectiles and players to decrease amount of miss hits
  • Lag compensation implemented for state changes of collision boxes

Tech
  • Fixed an issue that could occur when the game would not revert to the player’s native resolution when changing to Borderless mode with a lower aspect ratio
  • Fixed a localization text issue
  • Updated the list of supported video cards for more correct auto-detect
  • Fixed an issue where killed players could become stuck in place and invincible
  • Fixed an issue where local configurations would not be saved properly when including Cyrillic letters
  • Fixed an issue where Champions were not synchronized with moving objects

Performance
  • Optimized various memory leaks

Balance
  • Clutch's "Advanced Shielding" passive has been removed
  • Clutch's Active Ability cool-down has now been set to 40 seconds
  • Clutch’s Health and Armor stats revised: Health from 150/150 to 100/100; Armor from 50/100 to 100/150
  • Slash’s Starting Armor increased +25 ap
  • Profile Progression: XP requirements tweaked
  • Random Drop: Rebalance of drop rates in Backpacks Crates and Reliquaries
  • Crafting: Item prices in shards and dismantle values changed

Champions
  • New effect for Ranger’s Dire Orb
  • Fixed a light effect issue affecting Anarki's Banner vanity item
  • Fixed an issue affecting audio during Anarki's hover board movement
  • Fixed issue that could occur with BJ Blazkowicz’s shooting animation while dual-wielding
  • Fixed a twitching animation issue with BJ Blazkowicz after being shot while idle
  • Enemies within 120u of the player are outlined
  • New Clutch acceleration icon added
  • Fixed an issue where rock and drill medals pop without hitting the 1000 damage requirements
  • Fixed an issue when RL damage through Clutch's shield

Weapons
  • Fixed an issue when the Lightning Gun shaft bloomed when colliding with geometry
  • Fixed a knock-back issue with the Lightning Gun, Shotgun, Rocket Launcher and Railgun
  • Fixed an issue when armor shards didn't fall when the player was killed via Gauntlet
  • New weapon pick-up sound, (temporary, will be updated in the future)

Challenges
  • Fixed an issue where the Serial Killer challenge showed the incorrect icon
  • Fixed an issue where the player could receive already completed Daily Challenges
  • Fixed an issue where Daily Challenges were not showing progress

UI/HUD
  • Resolved all display issues with the Health and Armor container system
  • yaw and pitch mouse settings added to the options screen
  • New smaller high resolution enemy arrow indicators
  • Improved reliability of enemy arrow indicators
  • Fixed an issue where the player count could persist in the lobby
  • Fixed an issue where if the player accepted a party invite while in the lobby, he was transferred in custom game
  • Fixed issue when Headgear thumbnails are not showing some of the champion's heads

Spectating
  • Red soul widget added into HUD
  • Fixed an issue where the Lightning Gun shaft could split into two
  • Fixed an issue where spectators saw red markers above the blue team
  • Fixed an issue where Clutch’s shield was not visible from 3rd person camera
  • X-Ray now turned on by default
  • Spectator now sees team-colored outlines on the screen

In-game
  • Fixed an issue when player spawned in 0 coordinates on second game session
  • Fixed an issue when Champion will briefly appear where killed on respawn
  • Fixed an issue when full session could stuck on a character presentation screen
  • Fixed issue when user movement halts briefly when entering a jump-pad

Sacrifice
  • Fixed an issue where the soul pickup HUD marker could persist when the soul isn't on its spawn place
  • Fixed an issue where the soul can get stuck in any wall and cannot be picked up when User stands close to the wall
  • Fixed an issue where the soul can be placed in overhead platform side mausoleum on Burial Chamber
  • Fixed an issue when Soul can become stuck on top of head statue in Side Mausoleum on Burial Chamber
  • Fixed an issue when enemy Obelisk marker overlapped soul carried HUD
  • Fixed an issue where the soul effect could be seen on the weapon in first person view
  • Fixed POI blinking issue
  • Fixed an issue where picking up the soul immediately after using an ability would cause VFX to stay, preventing the use of that ability until death
  • Fixed an issue where the Obelisk does not have player collision

Duel
  • Fixed an issue where the draft stage profile level on the nameplate was incorrect
  • Fixed an issue where on the death screen, the Champion in the middle always highlighted
  • Fixed an issue where the mouse fire input would be stuck if firing between the transition from warmup to Champion selection
  • Fixed an issue where the announcer would say "5 minutes warning" at sudden death
  • Fixed an issue where the Scoreboard would not display a time limit
  • Fixed an issue when Champion Vanity items did not show when displayed on the podium screen in Duel selection
  • Fixed an issue when the announcer says "your pick" when an enemy is picking

Misc
  • Various localization fixes
  • Removed confidential line from watermark

Chat
  • Fixed an issue when Global timestamps were missing zero padding
  • Fixed an issue when chat didn't work on player presentation screen
  • Fixed an issue when auto-scroll always worked with every new message

Shop
  • Fixed issue when loot-box text was not showing correctly
  • Loot Box store visuals improved
  • Loot Box openings now include category icons for drops
  • Loot Box openings now include voice over announcements for epic and legendary drops

Additional fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where in Duel lobby, there were no opponents nicknames listed
  • Fixed an issue where a player would see his own profile picture on all profile pics in Social screen
  • Fixed an issue where the player could follow blacklisted player
  • Fixed an issue where the player could get 3 medals Mach Complete and Win during one Duel match
  • Fixed an issue where the player could not use print-screen while in full-screen

Back
Top Bottom