Quest 3 owners etc

Pro for movies is incredible, especially with no interface on your face. Q3's colour and contrast is noticeably better than Q2 according to the reports I've read. Should be a great movie watching headset.

Pro for movies is incredible, especially with no interface on your face. Q3's colour and contrast is noticeably better than Q2 according to the reports I've read. Should be a great movie watching headset.

That was the reason I was seriously considering the Pro over the Quest 3. Hope you are right about the Quest 3. I am hoping that we can have a movie night again. I haven't watched Guardians of the Galaxy 3 yet. Saving it for the next movie night. :)

Just been reading a thread over on Reddit by Guy Godin, the developer of Virtual desktop. He has done some testing with the Quest 3 and wireless and has some interesting information.

If you are using a router as a dedicated router for the Quest there is still no need for a Wifi6/6e router. A good Wifi 5 router will give the exact same experience. However, if you are using the router as the main router in the house or are in an area where is there is a lot of interference from other Wifi 5 devices, then buying a Wifi 6/6E router is probably recommended as the 6Ghz range is less crowded.

The good news is that Meta must have a put a new decoding chip into the Quest 3. Godin says it's the best wireless headset for PCVR by far.

That does sound very good :)

I'm struggling to see how depth sensor could be used in a multiplayer game, so I think q4 or pro2 for me unless some mythical headset is released :D

I would say what will happen is that games will eventually just become too much for the Quest 2/Pro to run at any sort of playable framerate.

And never say never, just because you are locally dim doesn't mean that other people won't come up with some good ideas for gaming that make use of the depth sensor. :)

Just been reading a thread over on Reddit by Guy Godin, the developer of Virtual desktop. He has done some testing with the Quest 3 and wireless and has some interesting information.

If you are using a router as a dedicated router for the Quest there is still no need for a Wifi6/6e router. A good Wifi 5 router will give the exact same experience. However, if you are using the router as the main router in the house or are in an area where is there is a lot of interference from other Wifi 5 devices, then buying a Wifi 6/6E router is probably recommended as the 6Ghz range is less crowded.

The good news is that Meta must have a put a new decoding chip into the Quest 3. Godin says it's the best wireless headset for PCVR by far.

Specifically he said that the quest 3 is now capable of h265 @ 200mbps up from 150mbps on the quest 2.
He said the biggest gain is for VC1 encoding, which anecdotally smoothed out frame delivery with a 4090.

Last edited:

I know his focus is wireless but did he or anyone else comment on wired yet?

I have a Sky 5Ghz router, the only device i had on the 5Ghz band was my Quest 2 and i was happy with how it performed wirelessly, i think i'll try it with my Quest 3 to see how it goes.

Specifically he said that the quest 3 is now capable of 200mbps up from 150mbps on the quest 2.
He said the biggest gain is for VC1 encoding, which anecdotally smoothed out frame delivery with a 4090.
I used to have Airlink set to 200mbps with my Quest 2 with no problems.

I have a Sky 5Ghz router, the only device i had on the 5Ghz band was my Quest 2 and i was happy with how it performed wirelessly, i think i'll try it with my Quest 3 to see how it goes.

I used to have Airlink set to 200mbps with my Quest 2 with no problems.
Apologies, h265 was limited to 150mbps. That can now be set to 200mbps before latency runs away. h264 now capable of 400.

You can set it higher, it just adds a lot of latency...

Heh, I've yet to notice any issues using the default airlink settings to my TPLink mesh which is used for everything in the house, live on my own though so if I'm playing VR not much else is going on and the link speed between the quest2 and the mesh is way more than the 200mbps it wants. My limited testing of the cabled link led me to using the wifi option from the start as it was better quality from what I could tell. Never have seen anything to highlight it's running over wifi if you except the first few seconds of the connection where it sorts itself out.

If anything became to demanding for the pro to run natively I would just stream from pc :)

If current mobile games are just run on android which is what the Q2 and presumably the Q3 will be, then would it be possible to run future demanding mobile games on a PC running android via BluStacks emulation and stream to a headset?

Specifically he said that the quest 3 is now capable of h265 @ 200mbps up from 150mbps on the quest 2.

Yes, he did. But someone asked about H.264 and he said the PCVR experience was a lot smoother overall. So it looks like improvements all around, something for everyone :)

Got £122 from CEX for the Quest 2, so along with the hallie Berry £100 discount, that's £257 to upgrade.

When perusing CEX I note something that mgiht be useful to others. They'll pay £42 for a grade A left Q2 controller,and £47 for a Grade A right. Sell them at £90 and £100 respectively.

1) Clearly right ones are in higher demand than left ones.
2) Add the £42+£47 = £89, meaning they are giving me £33 for the headset...less than a controller !
3) Meta sells new ones for £70 each, or you can buy 2nd hand ones from CEX for £90/£100 !

Back
Top Bottom