Quest 3 owners etc

How long does the beat sabre addiction last, Nothing seems to pull me more into wanting to play on the quest 3 and my shoulders are killing me :( Than and the kids keeps taking the high score and they shalt not pass !!

That was me :cry: I don't know if some manufacturers are better than others, or early batches are more prone to them. Perfect headsets do exist though. Just very annoying when you get one with them.
I did wonder who this new regular overclockers vr forum poster was :cry: prefer this new name :)

The (not-so) micro transactions did it for me. I have no interest in paying for album after album (at ~£10 a pop) for music that I may already own on CD or digital. I know there's an unofficial mod for Beat Saber but I'm not keen on going down that route.

The (not-so) micro transactions did it for me. I have no interest in paying for album after album (at ~£10 a pop) for music that I may already own on CD or digital. I know there's an unofficial mod for Beat Saber but I'm not keen on going down that route.
By not using custom songs, you're basically using Beat Saber to about 10% (if that) of it's potential. As great as some of the included songs are, none of them compare to the best custom ones like Mr Blue Sky, The Pretender, Spitfire, Levitating, Chop Suey, and a myriad others.

Edit: I'm talking as a Rift S user, where it's simplicity itself to add custom songs. Not sure how much more complicated it is if Beat Saber is on the actual Quest rather than on a PC attached to it.

Last edited:
Use a referral link to get some.free dough to spend in the meta store!

I'm still finding my way, but it's very very cool. As a complete noob to vr, I have nothing else to compare to and it's amazing.
I've barely scratched the surface but I found 'first hands' a real great showcase

Last edited:
By not using custom songs, you're basically using Beat Saber to about 10% (if that) of it's potential. As great as some of the included songs are, none of them compare to the best custom ones like Mr Blue Sky, The Pretender, Spitfire, Levitating, Chop Suey, and a myriad others.

Edit: I'm talking as a Rift S user, where it's simplicity itself to add custom songs. Not sure how much more complicated it is if Beat Saber is on the actual Quest rather than on a PC attached to it.
I only have it on the Quest itself and you need a mod AFAIK to play custom songs. I'm not keen on sideloading a mod especially with a warning that it breaks the terms of use and could get you banned (which I'm sure I read somewhere), however unlikely that may be.

I only have it on the Quest itself and you need a mod AFAIK to play custom songs. I'm not keen on sideloading a mod especially with a warning that it breaks the terms of use and could get you banned (which I'm sure I read somewhere), however unlikely that may be.
Can you not have the game on your PC on Oculus and airlink your Quest to it? That way you're back to it being completely simple to have custom songs.

I certainly hope you can, as that's what I'll be wanting to do when I upgrade from Rift S to Quest 3.

Just brought one, arrives tomorrow, first proper VR.

Any tips or suggestions please? :D

Free offerings:

• Epic Roller Coasters. Good for showcasing VR to others as they don't have to worry about doing anything, just enjoy the ride! You get a couple of scenes for free.
  • Oculus First Contact (good for getting to grips with the VR mechanics)
  • First Hand (hand tracking demo)
  • Elixir
  • Gun Raiders
  • Mission ISS

Stopped working for just now, but apparently they are working on it:
  • Jurassic World
  • Space Explorers

Purchases:

Climb 2. I haven't actually played it much, but it's also a great game for showcasing to others due to the ease of controls and it very impressive for a standalone.
Thrill of the Fight VR is good fun and brilliant for exercise.
Asgard's Wrath 2 is huge and does a great job as a standalone.
Green Hell VR was good fun as well, although I kinda wished I got the PCVR version instead.
Warplanes: Battles over Pacific. I really enjoyed this at first but the difficulty went off a cliff edge so I've lost interest, but it's an easy-to-get-into flight game.

Then there is PCVR... :D

It's also worth checking out the YouTube app because there's the VR section, both 180° and 360° stuff. The resolution isn't the best even at max, but it's still not bad.

Prime Video app is actually not too bad, for 2D stuff it puts you in a cinema environment to watch stuff.

VR Animation Player is a great place to explore. Some very creative stuff in there.

I've yet to try First Encounters but if it's a Quest 3 you have then it's got some good reviews for the augmented reality experience.

My Original Vive has finally given up the ghost so just bought a Quest 3.
Have I read right that there's a referral system? If so can someone message me a link; and how does it work? Add the referral when I create an account and add the headset?
Also, any tips for steam link? I've been using Vive with extension leads from an adjacent room to my lounge, will it all just work over my wifi?

My Original Vive has finally given up the ghost so just bought a Quest 3.
Have I read right that there's a referral system? If so can someone message me a link; and how does it work? Add the referral when I create an account and add the headset?
Also, any tips for steam link? I've been using Vive with extension leads from an adjacent room to my lounge, will it all just work over my wifi?

Morning bud, sent you a referral code. Use the link within to create your account and you’ll get credited with £23 to spend in the quest store (as will the referrer).

As for Steam Link, yes as long as your computer is on and connected to the same network, the Quest app will connect. It will ask you to authorise on the computer when you connect, and that’s it.

Just brought one, arrives tomorrow, first proper VR.

Any tips or suggestions please? :D

Start with First Steps, it's a free Meta offering that introduces you to the controllers and VR, and how the buttons are typically integrated in most games. And it's quite fun. Good one to show to family because it takes them through the controls, and you still get to watch them dance with a robot.

First Encounters. Shows off mixed reality really well, play in a room with a bit of furniture, or even a bed, since it's all 3d scanned, and it's impressive to watch the fuzzies get hidden behind real objects.

Unlike a poster above, I would absolutely not recommend rollercoaster sims, especially as a first time introduction. It's the quickest way to lead to VR motion sickness.

You should still get Asgards Wrath 2 for free I believe, as it's a new purchase. It's a 90 hours game, that you unlock new abilities constantly in the opening sagas. Great game, wish I found the time to do more of it.

The following games are generally cheap (and you can get 25% off with a referral, feel free to send me a DM if you want one, I get £4 credit, you get the discount)

Walkabout mini golf. Absolute staple of VR. Cheap to buy the "base" version, a huge number of DLC courses that you can play if you play with someone who has paid for it. Gorgeous simple graphics, and one of the best social games out there. If you fancy it, there's a group of us from the forum, who usually play this every Monday evening, 8pm. Check out the Social Gaming thread.

Eleven table tennis. Mixed reality has massively improved this for me, since now I can still see the real world whilst playing, meaning I'm at no risk of hitting the tele!

Thrill of the fight. Simple graphics, mixed reality allows you to "fight" in your home, no chance of accidentally uppercutting your toddler or wife, hell of a workout!

Beat Saber. Surely you know this!

Pistol Whip. Another rhythm game, but shooting enemies and dodging incoming bullets, can be a good workout on the hard difficulty.

In death unchained. Archery based game. Roguelite. I've not played it so much now, but I have put a lot of hours into it, so definitely got my moneys worth! Still dip in occassionally.

Demeo, table top Heroquest like game, upto 4 players. Quite a few fun adventures, another one to play with a group, you can go online to play with randoms.

------------

Rec room is free, if you have a group to play with, a lot of fun, even if simple graphics etc.

Can you not have the game on your PC on Oculus and airlink your Quest to it? That way you're back to it being completely simple to have custom songs.

I certainly hope you can, as that's what I'll be wanting to do when I upgrade from Rift S to Quest 3.
For me, no, for two reasons:

1) I only own the Quest version of Beat Saber and I'm not buying it again
2) The Airlink software doesn't work on Linux. There is ALVR but that's pretty spotty as to whether a game is going to work or not, or if it will continue to work after an update

Back
Top Bottom