Quest 3 owners etc

As myself and others have probably mentioned multiple times, Alyx is fab! There is a teleport option which makes it a very comfortable experience and, as someone who also suffers from motion sickness, I played it quite happily without issue (twice :D). I'd wait for it to be on sale though as it's quite expensive otherwise (though arguably worth it :)).

Last edited:
There are also the Half Life 2 ports that have been added and can be found on Steam, for free. BUT you need to have the Half Life 2 game, that can be bought cheaply.

There is a mod called UEVR that can be used and, some games requiring a little adapting, tho there can be made profiles, that will allow you to play many Unity or Unreal 4 /5 based games in VR, with good success.

I hesitate to write of too many games that I have found most enjoyable as they do seem to include a lot of walking and movement, I feel quite disorientated at times...! Wat can be worse tho, well to a point, is when I forget that a piece of furniture in the game I'm playing is only virtual...! Damn I have tried to lean up against so many items to fall forward etc....!

......there are more profiles and information of how that particular mod looks, the above should be a start for you.

Can be used seated...

I'm just installing this one...

and.....

The last two in particular will need strong sea legs :)

Last edited:
Just a quick point on the Half-Life 2 VR mod as I'm currently playing it. There is a section where you drive a boat, which is not optimised and the controls made me feel a bit bleugh to the point I had to quit and carry on later. Fortunately there are areas where you leave the boat and do the usual shooty stuff before returning to the boat but just something to be aware of. I'm not sure if there's more of this later on.

im trying to work out why meta emailed me asking for my birth date when they already have it set in the account, sets see what support says

Even the forum MVPs are getting hit with this, and some of them have had facebook/oculus/meta accounts longer than the minimum age requirement.

support contacted me and i supplied the requested info but waiting to here back now.
just waiting for it to hit everyone else.
i dont even think l gave the wrong date on the once facebook account i had. so its just a bit odd to me.

First proper play with the headset today, I've had some ginger so fingers crossed it helps.

So I'm trying that 'first hands' app to get used to the controller, I'm sitting and facing my fan (as I read that helps), start the game, stuff happens around me, but then all the building of stuff and making the gloves is 180 degrees behind me, so I'm now no longer facing my fan. Is there a way to pick up the playing field and turn it around again ?

Also, I read somewhere you should up the refresh rate to 120Hz by going into settings, system, display, but when I look there the only option I have is to turn on night mode ?

First proper play with the headset today, I've had some ginger so fingers crossed it helps.

So I'm trying that 'first hands' app to get used to the controller, I'm sitting and facing my fan (as I read that helps), start the game, stuff happens around me, but then all the building of stuff and making the gloves is 180 degrees behind me, so I'm now no longer facing my fan. Is there a way to pick up the playing field and turn it around again ?

Also, I read somewhere you should up the refresh rate to 120Hz by going into settings, system, display, but when I look there the only option I have is to turn on night mode ?

You should be able to push the meta button on the right controller to reset your view. The 120Hz is only available to games that support it, and the toggle for it is hiding in the settings. what version of software is on the headset as it may need updating to get 120Hz mode.

You should be able to push the meta button on the right controller to reset your view. The 120Hz is only available to games that support it, and the toggle for it is hiding in the settings. what version of software is on the headset as it may need updating to get 120Hz mode.

Apart from Nightclub VR I've not downloaded/bought any further games yet, will that option just appear when I get games that support it then ?

I'm currently on version 67.0.0.648.356.621284304 and no updates available in the software update section.

Also, what's the difference between my meta quest 'name' and 'username' , which is the one people can see ? Or can they see both ?

Last edited:
I can see it was mentioned previously in the thread, but I have just got the Quest Optmizer working and wow - it's definitely worth the £11 ! More than happy to sacrifice a bit of battery life for the improvement in fidelity.

Half life Alyx on sale for £16.99 on Steam by the way. So glad I didn't pay £49 the other day.

Someone beat me to it. Posted in deals. I only found out because I had it on my steam wish list. And I got an email, happy days I can't wait to play it.

Last edited:
Half life Alyx on sale for £16.99 on Steam by the way. So glad I didn't pay £49 the other day.

Someone beat me to it. Posted in deals. I only found out because I had it on my steam wish list. And I got an email, happy days I can't wait to play it.

Tempting, I've done the rest of the series...

Certain features come and go. I've had the 120Hz option previously but I checked this evening and it's nowhere to be seen.
50743172871_081c5c38ae_o_d.gif

Ooooo new drop from BOBOVR...

If I buy it on steam do I still need virtual desktop to run?

Cheers chaps.

So if the games I buy on the meta store install straight on the headset, and games I buy on Steam VR run through that, then what does virtual desktop do ? (sorry, I'm on day 2 of my first ever headset)

Steam VR runs on the PC, and enables your PC to connect to a VR headset.. (can also use the Meta equivalent "Meta Quest Link")

You then need something on the headset that connects to the PC, and there are several alternative options for this bit..

Steam Link - This is free and my preferred option, only connects over wifi (wireless), and connects using Steam VR.

Oculus Air Link - This is also free and works simliar to Steam Link, although this can be used wired as well as wireless. (this uses Meat Quest Link instead of Steam VR)

Virtual Desktop - This is a paid for program, that runs on the headset and PC, and enables wireless connection, but also includes lots of customisation options. Some people swear by this, but i've not used it myself.

I think the VD info is correct, but as i've never actually used it .. others may be better placed to comment.

HTH. R.

edit: i think VD is wireless only.

Last edited:
VD is an alternative to Air Link and, as posted by @drakulton Steam Link. It is a means to run your PCVR games. Steam, using SteamVR to run theirs.
VD only works wirelessly and can combine what Steam Link and Air Link would offer in a sinle interface with some diagnostic and other goodies under the bonnet, like have settings like this.....

com-oculus-vrshell-20240722-103716.jpg

com-oculus-vrshell-20240722-103746.jpg

there is probably a lot more to it, as, like, you, I have only just bought my first ever VR headset a couple of weeks or so ago.

The PC side of the streaming options for VD...

VDXR-ndeeded-for-Runtime-in-VD.png

You can select various runtimes for Steam games.

I can run my Steam games using VDXR rather than SteamVR..........

287508481-7a29cdc1-023b-4612-9f07-3e92e8fea648.png

At this point I need a greater understanding to figure out the real benefits of doing one over the other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom