Quest 3 owners etc

That looks like a solid list and Half-Life: Alyx and Walkabout Mini Golf are both games that I would still strongly recommend purchasing today.

I played HLA on Quest 2. One day when I get some spare time I will play through it again on my Quest 3.
Thanks

Not sure if there a thread for VR games on here, As i have no idea what the latest best VR games are
( I know there odd separate threads on here for each game but that would take days to go through each one)

Last edited:
Thanks

Not sure if there a thread for VR games on here, As i have no idea what the latest best VR games are
( I know there odd separate threads on here for each game but that would take days to go through each one)

If you already own Half Life 2 then theyre are free VR mods available for them, Steam store

Lone Echo 1 & 2 are essential purchases. Unfortunately they're only on the Meta PC store and never go on sale.

Fully modded Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 VR will give you hundreds of hours of amazing gameplay. Right now I'm addicted to a re-play of Fallout 4 and finally got it modded to look good and have some decent VR optimisations.

Anyone know the reason why Meta didn't use OLED screens in the Quest 3 ?

The first thing i notice straight away when i put the Quest 3 on was how grey the screens are :(

Last edited:
Anyone know the reason why Meta didn't use OLED screens in the Quest 3 ?

The first thing i notice straight away when i put the Quest 3 on was how grey the screens are :(

OLED diplays suffer from mura (a fixed pattern of grey noise in dark scenes), can exhibit smearing, and often have pentile subpixel arrangements which lower the apparent resolution, so they're not a perfect solution - ask PSVR2 owners!
However the main reason is pancake lenses - they may be sharp edge to edge, but they absorb a lot of light, and standard OLED just isn't bright enough. You need the newer MicroOLED technology for pancake lenses and they're really expensive.

The Quest Pro screens use QLED (Quantum Dot Mini LED) displays with Local Dimming which are way better than the Quest 3 screens in terms of brightness, contrast and colour reproduction (but not resolution). They do exhibit a glow around bright objects as they don't have enough local dimming zones, so it's not perfect. It is great that the screen can go completely black when loading or in dark scenes though.

Is it worth me upgrading to a quest 3?
What's the most noticeable advantages?

I've had a quest 2 for ages , decent library and is a good crowd pleaser when people come over.

I've had a quest 2 for ages , decent library and is a good crowd pleaser when people come over.
If you can afford it, yes upgrade is worth it. Much much better lenses and a higher resolution display. The sound is louder. It has more grunt for standalone games although not much has taken advantage of it yet, though you can use the Quest Games Optimizer to supersample your games. Battery about the same as Q2, I find the comfort similar to a Q2. Mixed reality with the colour passthrough at a decent resolution and depth sensor has opened up a whole new world of gaming for me. It can do 6E wifi but tbh I'm ok with my 5GHz router. Just watch out for things like dead pixels.

It's a superb upgrade. It's like getting new glasses and seeing things clearly for the first time. Plus of course all your Quest 2 games work, but at a higher resolution and many of them have substantial graphics upgrades.

The ringless controllers track really well and the hand tracking is much smoother.
It'a also way better for watching movies and TV on a virtual screen.

There are also some Quest 3 exclusive games coming.

The passthrough is way, way, better and mixed reality games are mind-blowing.

just upgraded from a 2 to a 3 and I'd say that the resolution and clarity are obvious improvements. the audio is better too, as good as the official Quest 2 earbuds.
general speed is better as you load stuff.

so yeah, I'd say the upgrade is justified. one annoying thing is not being able to simply use Q2 headstraps

long term support questionable.
wasnt there something about Lone Echo 1 not easily playable?

I started it a long time back and it seemed to play fine and be a good game, but you may be right about it having problems. When I went back to it some time later intending to complete the story, I couldn't seem to get the controls working properly. Must admit that I never really looked into the issue further to find out what had gone wrong as I always seem to have more games than time. Unless you are referring to a completely different issue of course!

are you taling about on a quest or using ReVive?

i played using ReVive and it was flawless on my reverb G2. ....... i need to go back to it, however as usual i keep buying games and not playing them. believe it or not i have not played HL:A yet despite having it in my library

This is the big issue. I have no faith that Meta will keep the PC store going. It's basically on long term life support now.

It's a pity Meta won't release these games onto SteamVR. There are so many great Oculus Studios PC games that could do with a wider audience.

are you taling about on a quest or using ReVive?

i played using ReVive and it was flawless on my reverb G2. ....... i need to go back to it, however as usual i keep buying games and not playing them. believe it or not i have not played HL:A yet despite having it in my library
more about the long term support of their games as the sudio basically no longer exists. ready at dawn dev team got fired.
but i remember someone saying they had issues playing lone echo, checking the meta store still getting possitives reviews.
my main issue now is do i purchase a copy knowing it doesnt have any patchs or support and could break at any time :/

more about the long term support of their games as the sudio basically no longer exists. ready at dawn dev team got fired.
but i remember someone saying they had issues playing lone echo, checking the meta store still getting possitives reviews.
my main issue now is do i purchase a copy knowing it doesnt have any patchs or support and could break at any time :/
its your money and i aint refunding you if it goes wrong ;) but personally i would just buy it if you want it and you have a quest headset.

it does not need online per se so i doubt it will get switched off any time soon. just dont do what i did and buy it and leave it after a 5 min go. I understand it does not have that much replayability in it anyway so just buy it and crack on with it, then it isnt the end of the world if it does somehow get broken in 3 years time or what ever.

unfortunately unless you buy from GOG you do not own any of the games on any of the platforms. you could lose access at any point and there isnt a damn thing you can do about it. unlike the old days like i did with an old snes and my old nintendo game and watch donkey kong 2, chances are no one will be pulling your old pc out of the attic in 40 years time, firing it up and being able to jump into your old games

Last edited:
agreed re-platform :/
i need a VR PC first. it was slated for this year but other things have come up so now slated for next year.. end of....
i have a quest 3 headset though. i was hoping they would port Echo to Quest 3 tbh.

Last edited:
agreed re-platform :/
i need a VR PC first. it was slated for this year but other things have come up so now slated for next year.. end of....
i have a quest 3 headset though. i was hoping they would port Echo to Quest 3 tbh.

The community will do more than meta to preserve older PCVR titles. Echo arena is now playable even though meta shut the servers down and a group of enthusiasts have brought back the deleted mavels heroes.

Top tippage for taking the headset on a flight. Select aircraft mode from the quick settings bar before you fly, as trying to do it in flight is one of the hardest shooters I've come across. And you're not going to beat your First Encounters high score while flying as the puffians can hide everywhere.

54005022593_42cef1871f_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom