Quest 3 owners etc

The Quest 3 headsets should have been a minimum of 256GB & 512GB

Or even better would have been 512GB & 1TB

meta are already selling the headsets at a loss and only make money on the games, which is one of the reasons they've opened the horizons OS to other headset manufacturers. A micro SD card slot on a headset would make more sense to store games on, so you could buy the storage you need.

The Quest 3 128GB is the first VR headset we have owned. It has surprised me how quickly and easy it has been to run up to its storage limits.

Opting more so for PCVR titles on Steam, only helps so far.
I had not expected to run up to that storage limitation.

The 128GB version has been a good entry model for us, possibly upselling us to the 512GB one at some point. But, at a better price, hopefully.
I am assuming that storage is relatively cheap and would now have preferred to have seen a 512GB model as an entry level for the Quest 3, that would commit customers even more to the Meta ecosystem.
The "S" variant catering for the entry level of VR.

Last edited:
The Quest 3 128GB is the first VR headset we have owned. It has surprised me how quickly and easy it has been to run up to its storage limits.

Opting more so for PCVR titles on Steam, only helps so far.
I had not expected to run up to that storage limitation.

The 128GB version has been a good entry model for us, possibly upselling us to the 512GB one at some point. But, at a better price, hopefully.
I bought the 512GB mainly due to i was worried that 128GB wouldn't be enough after say 18 or so months later after i collected more & more games

But i was going back & forward about it as i wasted a fortune buying the 512GB versions of my 11" & 12.9" ipad pro's three years ago and have only used around 40GB of storage on each of them after 3 years :o :o :o
My 512GB iphone 14 pro max is even worst at only having 34GB of the storage used

Last edited:
It really depends on your gaming habits. Virtually all meta games now use cloud saves, so uninstalling/reinstalling is no issue. It's only if you're someone who often swaps between several big games, that this would be an issue.

I've got Asgards Wrath 2 installed, Star wars tales of galaxy edge, walkabout, breachers, demeo, rec room, beat saber, pistol whip and some others I'm sure, all installed, and it does me fine. When batman comes out, I'll likely uninstall one of them (or make more of an effort to finish AW2 or SWtoge).

I bought the 512GB mainly due to i was worried that 128GB wouldn't be enough after say 18 or so months later after i collected more & more games

But i was going back & forward about it as i wasted a fortune buying the 512GB versions of my 11" & 12.9" ipad pro's three years ago and have only used around 40GB of storage on each of them after 3 years :o :o :o

I remember you mentioning that at the time of you buying it, being a little unsure. Not having one previously I was not even sure if we would have used it, never mind fill it.
I even removed a Meta bought PCVR title and rebought it on Steam, that saved a few Gigabytes.
I sort of wished for the 512GB, but at the time it made sense to me to buy the 12GB for us to use. Plenty of people noting that they only use PCVR titles and so it did not matter, that not meaning much at the time.

I could see at some point a reason to buy another headset, library sharing on the Quest seems decent.

I toyed with the idea of the Pico 4 Ultra, but that does not help with the Meta purchases and some first impression type videos aren't too positive...

It really depends on your gaming habits. Virtually all meta games now use cloud saves, so uninstalling/reinstalling is no issue. It's only if you're someone who often swaps between several big games, that this would be an issue.

I've got Asgards Wrath 2 installed, Star wars tales of galaxy edge, walkabout, breachers, demeo, rec room, beat saber, pistol whip and some others I'm sure, all installed, and it does me fine. When batman comes out, I'll likely uninstall one of them (or make more of an effort to finish AW2 or SWtoge).

You are right, it is doable. I remind myself about that with my Steam collection of games installed against that I play. Having a FTTP for Steam helps, and having some decent storage does as well.
Our headset has a very wide range of games, catering for grandchildren, older children, myself and my wife. Not all at once, I know, but the type of mixed use that would now benefit from more than 128GB.

You are right, it is doable. I remind myself about that with my Steam collection of games installed against that I play. Having a FTTP for Steam helps, and having some decent storage does as well.
Our headset has a very wide range of games, catering for grandchildren, older children, myself and my wife. Not all at once, I know, but the type of mixed use that would now benefit from more than 128GB.

That's a fair issue, more than one user adds more strain. Thankfully my boy has his own headset (64gb q2!), got another 64gb q2 now as well, just dodgy controllers, plan on replacing the joysticks in the hope that I can restore it.

That's a fair issue, more than one user adds more strain. Thankfully my boy has his own headset (64gb q2!), got another 64gb q2 now as well, just dodgy controllers, plan on replacing the joysticks in the hope that I can restore it.

I was just watching a Oculus repair channel on YT where he illustrates repairing Quest headsets. The latest being battery replacement for the Q2. I noted the absolute detail and stripping down that is need, his video being a better warning to NOT attempt the repair then any tamper proof screws or stickers etc could possibly do, lol. He replied, "If it was easy I would be out of work", fair point...!

How "decent" is a Q2 compared to the Q3 in terms of visuals..?

Last edited:
I was just watching a Oculus repair channel on YT where he illustrates repairing Quest headsets. The latest being battery replacement for the Q2. I noted the absolute detail and stripping down that is need, his video being a better warning to NOT attempt the repair then any tamper proof screws or stickers etc could possibly do, lol. He replied, "If it was easy I would be out of work", fair point...!

How "decent" is a Q2 compared to the Q3 in terms of visuals..?

I've stripped the q2 controllers down to the point of taking the joystick caps off already, they aren't getting used anyway, so I figure it's worth a shot. I've replaced screens/mainboards in phones before as well. It's mostly a matter of patience.

Q3 can process a lot more visually, looks quite a bit prettier, but the biggest jump is the clarity of the lenses, suddenly edge to edge is virtually clear. Which has a negative, suddenly fixed foveated rendering becomes very obvious on games that haven't been updated for the q3, as you have this relatively small circle of good visuals, then a very jarring line where it becomes very pixelated. You don't see it on the q2 as much, since the fresnel lenses have already blurred it up.

I've stripped the q2 controllers down to the point of taking the joystick caps off already, they aren't getting used anyway, so I figure it's worth a shot. I've replaced screens/mainboards in phones before as well. It's mostly a matter of patience.

Q3 can process a lot more visually, looks quite a bit prettier, but the biggest jump is the clarity of the lenses, suddenly edge to edge is virtually clear. Which has a negative, suddenly fixed foveated rendering becomes very obvious on games that haven't been updated for the q3, as you have this relatively small circle of good visuals, then a very jarring line where it becomes very pixelated. You don't see it on the q2 as much, since the fresnel lenses have already blurred it up.

This was the repair video, and channel, noted for the battery replacement....

I was surprised at how much stripping down was needed before the battery could be replaced, not really being accessible for an easy to replace solution.

Interesting that the improved lenses on the Q3 can, in some situations, reveal some shortcomings in previously coded Q2 titles.

Last edited:
This was the repair video, and channel, noted for the battery replacement....

I was surprised at how much stripping down was needed before the battery could be replaced, not really being accessible for an easy to replace solution.

Interesting that the improved lenses on the Q3 can, in some situations, reveal some shortcomings in previously coded Q2 titles.

The longer I hold onto the headsets, the more likely I'll be to try that. They'll be worth less as resale anyway, and it's a fun little project.

I've seen a few quest pro controllers for sale (broken ones), but the stripdown on them looks insane, and I can't find replacement parts for the bits that are broken, so I don't think I'll be trying that.

The longer I hold onto the headsets, the more likely I'll be to try that. They'll be worth less as resale anyway, and it's a fun little project.

I've seen a few quest pro controllers for sale (broken ones), but the stripdown on them looks insane, and I can't find replacement parts for the bits that are broken, so I don't think I'll be trying that.

You could do with one of these boxes.....

point taken on the project, if you have the time and patience - as well as the video noted for guidance.

You could do with one of these boxes.....

point taken on the project, if you have the time and patience - as well as the video noted for guidance.

That's pretty cool! I'd definitely start off with the "stick drift" ones. Quick squirt of cleaner, and give it a go, then replacement joystick. Will not link sounds a lot tougher though, not sure how to try and deal with that. If you can fix them, you could easily sell the working ones for £40/£50 a piece, depending on how much the box cost, might be able to make some money!

You can then have some fun trying to swap out the innards between the chewed and the will not link ones.

That's pretty cool! I'd definitely start off with the "stick drift" ones. Quick squirt of cleaner, and give it a go, then replacement joystick. Will not link sounds a lot tougher though, not sure how to try and deal with that. If you can fix them, you could easily sell the working ones for £40/£50 a piece, depending on how much the box cost, might be able to make some money!

You can then have some fun trying to swap out the innards between the chewed and the will not link ones.
I was surprised at how many dog chewed ones there were in that collection. So many donor options to try

I love the pro controllers, despite their foibles, but it really irks that a £150 pro controller uses the same drift prone sticks as cheaper ones. Why these don't use hall-effect sticks, I don't know. And of course the Pro controller has a built in battery which essentially makes it a limited life item anyway, as it's almost impossible to replace unless you're expert at disassembling and re-assembling complex electronics.
These devices should be made easier to repair. At least the Pro headset has a battery in the back where it's easier to replace (though getting hold of the replacement might be tricky).

I love the pro controllers, despite their foibles, but it really irks that a £150 pro controller uses the same drift prone sticks as cheaper ones. Why these don't use hall-effect sticks, I don't know. And of course the Pro controller has a built in battery which essentially makes it a limited life item anyway, as it's almost impossible to replace unless you're expert at disassembling and re-assembling complex electronics.
These devices should be made easier to repair. At least the Pro headset has a battery in the back where it's easier to replace (though getting hold of the replacement might be tricky).

The pro controller breakdown looks really intense, definitely not easy to replace the batteries there!

It's almost that their design has worked against the "right to repair" consideration when making these units.

Back
Top Bottom