Quest 3 owners etc

Try Virtual Desktop. I've had a lot of issues with Airlink recently (Updates seem to break it regularly), switched to Virtual desktop and was surprised about how well it ran.

Steam Link has always been stuttery for me. Nothing I've tried can fix it.

See what codec it is using.

What you could try is forcing it to H.264 by changing that in the Oculus Debug tool. It's called Video Codec. Then change the Encode Bitrate to 250. See what the performance is like with those settings.

If it's already using the H.264 codec, then change the Video Codec setting in the Oculus debug tool to H.265. And the Encode bitrate to 125. And see what happens with those settings.
Significantly better.
A little stuttering with hand movements still.
What resolution should I put it on in meta desktop app graphic settings. Default is 4128 x 2208. What's the quest 2 default?

Also re resolution. If I change it in the steam link app does it override the above?

@Ravenger thanks might try it if these changes don't work.

Airlink is completely broken.

Last edited:
Significantly better.
A little stuttering with hand movements still.
What resolution should I put it on in meta desktop app graphic settings. Default is 4128 x 2208. What's the quest 2 default?

Also re resolution. If I change it in the steam link app does it override the above?

@Ravenger thanks might try it if these changes don't work.

Airlink is completely broken.

Just a thought, can you check your settings in steam VR. Make sure you have the custom resolution/resolution per eye set at 100% Sometimes this gets set at some crazy value that causes stuttering.

Which codec has worked best for you? H.264 or H.265?

Just a thought, can you check your settings in steam VR. Make sure you have the custom resolution/resolution per eye set at 100% Sometimes this gets set at some crazy value that causes stuttering.

Which codec has worked best for you? H.264 or H.265?

So oculus desktop app is set to 100%
Steam I've got it under 100%

I've got it on H.264 at the moment. Didn't try H.265.

Last edited:
So oculus desktop app is set to 100%
Steam I've got it under 100%

I've got it on H.264 at the moment. Didn't try H.265.

That's fine.

Does the Stutter happen in all games? What games have you tried? Do you have any Oculus games that you can try from the Meta app?

Did you try the performance overlay? What is it telling you? Especially when it stutters.

And what refresh rate are you using?

That's fine.

Does the Stutter happen in all games? What games have you tried? Do you have any Oculus games that you can try from the Meta app?

Did you try the performance overlay? What is it telling you? Especially when it stutters.

And what refresh rate are you using?

I did tick the overlay but hasn't appeared using steam link - is it only through air link ? I've only tried alyx. All my other games are on oculus pc app that I can't use because airlink is unusable.

In doing 72 hz atm. Didn't push it any higher.

Well I bought VD. Seems significantly smoother. Trying to work out the best settings.
I brought up the performance readings- overall lag is around 40. I've got stable 1200 connection with the router with no real change in the pings beneath it.

With steamlink I was getting juddering in the hands only. The environment was fine.
Now with VD the hands are super smooth but the environment will occasionally judder esp if I crouch down or up.

Well I bought VD. Seems significantly smoother. Trying to work out the best settings.
I brought up the performance readings- overall lag is around 40. I've got stable 1200 connection with the router with no real change in the pings beneath it.

With steamlink I was getting juddering in the hands only. The environment was fine.
Now with VD the hands are super smooth but the environment will occasionally judder esp if I crouch down or up.

To work out where the lag is occurring this can help.....

Altho VD performance information and settings could give you something to with with.

If you can't get airlink to work correctly I would be tempted to remove everything Meta on the PC, try and wipe any settings. Then reinstall it anew.

Last edited:
support contacted me and i supplied the requested info but waiting to here back now.
just waiting for it to hit everyone else.
i dont even think l gave the wrong date on the once facebook account i had. so its just a bit odd to me.

I just had the dreaded confirm your age email...... now what was that random date I used when I created my oculus account.

Back
Top Bottom