Quest 3 owners etc

I may be in danger of getting addicted to Puzzling Places.
It would be just like me to drop £450 on a VR headset and then use it to do jigsaws. I did the same thing when I got my Switch and found myself almost exclusively playing logic puzzle games on it. :)

Someone above called it a mixed reality game though - does that mean no game background, just seeing your room through it? And if so, is there a setting I'm missing, because it's showing a full game view for me.

The controls on this game are absolutely perfect though. I know it's only a jigsaw, but you feel like Tom Cruise from Minority Report it's so slick. :)

That's the beauty of VR. You never know what type of games that you will like. Having an actual presence and changing the way we interact with games in VR makes games, that we would normally not like at all on the desktop, a lot more appealing.

I may be in danger of getting addicted to Puzzling Places.
It would be just like me to drop £450 on a VR headset and then use it to do jigsaws. I did the same thing when I got my Switch and found myself almost exclusively playing logic puzzle games on it. :)

Someone above called it a mixed reality game though - does that mean no game background, just seeing your room through it? And if so, is there a setting I'm missing, because it's showing a full game view for me.

The controls on this game are absolutely perfect though. I know it's only a jigsaw, but you feel like Tom Cruise from Minority Report it's so slick. :)

£400 to play walkabout minigolf here :D. Though I do occasionally play other things. Puzzling places is awesome, great for travel.

Updating to V71 can cause the fan to run at full tilt under normal load.

Fixed :)

In order of what I did:

1. Update drivers
2. Reviewed oculus files got rid of any historic temp folders.
3. Restarted pc.
4. Restarted router and switch.
5. Connected via link cable tested this- bizarrely it asked me to re-identify the quest 3 even though it was paired already. Link cable worked fine.
6. Tested airlink - this time no lag , few odd artifacts but working.
7. Went back to VD. Put manual bitrate put it up to 150.
8. Tested hf alyx. All fixed.
9. Put up graphics to high - no issues.

Thanks all.

Now when do you guys meet up for your weekly vr gaming night?

Annoyingly, issue randomly came back.
Haven't changed anything.

Appears it's a common problem: https://communityforums.atmeta.com/...streaming-micro-lags-and/td-p/1150175/page/30

I think it's a software issue - my only random fix is to connect via link this "resets" the issue loading up a game , exiting, then disconnecting and connecting via airlink. This method doesn't always work. Frustrating....

Just throwing something else out there. Have you tried ALVR? It's probably not quite as intuitive as Airlink or VD (no idea though as I run Linux and can't use either) but I have zero issues with Half-Life: Alyx with ALVR.

The thing is I'm jumping between 3 atm to get things working. Rather not add a 4th.

Appreciate the suggestion though.

Issue affects all PCVR games.

Last edited:
Annoyingly, issue randomly came back.
Haven't changed anything.

Appears it's a common problem: https://communityforums.atmeta.com/...streaming-micro-lags-and/td-p/1150175/page/30

I think it's a software issue - my only random fix is to connect via link this "resets" the issue loading up a game , exiting, then disconnecting and connecting via airlink. This method doesn't always work. Frustrating....

Did you try what the person suggest in the post on reddit? Putting the router into AC mode?

Just checked the manual. There is in an option to change Wifi mode. I presume you will be able to select AC mode in there. The manual is crap by the way!!

Yeh it's crap. Doesn't actually let me change it - only option is mixed. I did put the quest 3 on priority.

Analysing the VD graphs I spent a while messing with resolution/ codecs /bitrate. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or rhythm but it's fixed again?

Not sure. Who knows. I'll accept this as is. Hopefully by the time metro / aliens comes out I'll have had this sorted or patched.

Last edited:
@Buddy I bought Bonelab on the Meta store, due to it being on a very good deal iirc at the time. I did wonder, 6GB against that of 20GB for the Steam version, what the visual differences would be. It's another family member who plays it, not myself.
I am told things like post processing and other certain effects are "better" with the Steam version, not sure if that is a generalisation rather than just specific for this game.
BUT I also wanted that one for mobile use, when we take the headset visiting family, so for us it really needed to be the Meta version.

For the Blade one, I saw comparative videos over at YT and it did seem to be in favour for the Steam version, so we got that one. IIRC it was a Quest 2 they used, but I do not know if and how much it improved for the Q3...? And there have been patches since

Last edited:
A little side plan to me getting the Quest 3 was to let my daughter have the old Rift S and attach it to her gaming laptop. Allowing her to plan Beat Saber without bugging me, and maybe some multiplayer stuff together.

Unfortunately, it seems the laptop won't run it. It's got a 6GB RTX 3060 in it, so I thought it would be fine. But it loads up the Oculus Client alright (but not the home for some reason) and will run First Steps. But trying to run Walkabout Golf or anything else it just hangs on the 'now loading' screen.

I suspect maybe an incompatibility issue, rather than the laptop not having enough grunt. Anyway, got frustrated enough trying to get it working, I'm thinking now of just giving up and buying her a Quest 3S for her birthday to avoid the issue altogether!

Back
Top Bottom