Quest 3 owners etc

The aliasing issues in the Q3 rendering are driving me nuts. It’s not just in games but even looking at white text or anything high contrast, you can see the crawling and shimmering on the edges.

I don’t have them nearly as pronounced in the G2.

I’ve tried toggling settings in debug tools, tray tools, side quest and while it can be minimized with large degree of supersampling it’s always perceptible.

The aliasing issues in the Q3 rendering are driving me nuts. It’s not just in games but even looking at white text or anything high contrast, you can see the crawling and shimmering on the edges.

I don’t have them nearly as pronounced in the G2.

I’ve tried toggling settings in debug tools, tray tools, side quest and while it can be minimized with large degree of supersampling it’s always perceptible.
I had the same issue.
Thanks to someone else on the forum suggesting turning off Link Sharpening in debug tool. Sounds counter-intuitive but it helped a lot for me in iracing.

I only got back into playing VR games since upgrading from Q2 to Q3, so perhaps my memory is failing me, but I've noticed that playing half-life 2 VR mod, which is obviously PCVR, the Q3 battery is outlasting me. I played last night for a couple of hrs straight and the battery was still at circa 50%. I don't recall the Q2 battery lasting that length, but as I say maybe it's jsut dodgy memory.

I only got back into playing VR games since upgrading from Q2 to Q3, so perhaps my memory is failing me, but I've noticed that playing half-life 2 VR mod, which is obviously PCVR, the Q3 battery is outlasting me. I played last night for a couple of hrs straight and the battery was still at circa 50%. I don't recall the Q2 battery lasting that length, but as I say maybe it's jsut dodgy memory.

Wired or wireless? Wireless, that's odd.

PCVR will do most of the rendering i would have thought
so the Quest 3 via PCVR will do LESS work as its just "displaying" the picture and less encoding to do?

if you play a native game or whatever from the headset, the headset will have MORE work to do

Last edited:
PCVR will do most of the rendering i would have thought
so the Quest 3 via PCVR will do LESS work as its just "displaying" the picture and less encoding to do?

if you play a native game or whatever from the headset, the headset will have MORE work to do

Nope. It’s doing the encoding in the headset. It’s not DisplayPort over usb-c which is a shame

Nope. It’s doing the encoding in the headset. It’s not DisplayPort over usb-c which is a shame
Presumably you mean decoding?

I agree with @ShiWarrior the headset will be doing a lot less work, when in PCVR use..

Decoding will be a lot less battery intensive than games running on the headset themselves.. so it's not overly surprising that the battery lasts longer in pcvr mode.

I'll do some less anecdotal testing and report back, but I assume as has been suggested that actually doing everything involved in playing a game is a lot more power intensive than running the decode and reporting back the control/sensor inputs.

Last edited:
VD is generally considered the better app for pcvr over airlink.
I prefer airlink as to me there is less visible compression artifacts at the same bitrate.
200mbps h264 airlink looks better than 200mbps VD regardless what codec is used even AV1.
One thing that VD has over airlink is less colour banding when using 10 bit encoding although i find it less important than compression blockiness.
I do use 500mbps now so not much differance in it at that bitrate but airlink still wins.

At 200mbit AV1 ?!? Really ? You got to be kidding lol :) But even this doesnt change the fact VD is the better and more stable app .
I wish I was kidding but no it’s awful in some games.
Also how is VD more stable.? Airlink works for me 100% of the time.
Maybe it is more stable for someone with worse WiFi connection.

Last edited:
I use Airlink in preference as I get better image quality but I have a 6E router so I can up the bitrate for wireless beyond the normal limits.

Though Virtual Desktop does work better for me than it used to.

Everyone's wireless setup is different so just use what method works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom