Quest 3 owners etc

Hey guys - anyone tried Steam Link already ?

Steam link has foveated compression which is very noticeable on Q3 apparently, so Airlink or Virtual Desktop may be better for Q3 at least until they add an option to disable it.

On Quest Pro this compression uses eye tracking which means you really can't see the low detail compression at all.

However I'm finding that maxed out Airlink works better for me currently as I'm getting a lot of jittering at high resolution on Steam Link.

Just purchased a quest 3 using 20% via Very.

Hoping the resolution increase and pancake lens make sim racing viable for me. The quest 2 just wasn't good enough.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this once you've tried it out.

I really enjoyed sim racing on the quest 2 the immersion was incredible but much like yourself felt it was just not good enough, too blurry in the distance.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this once you've tried it out.

I really enjoyed sim racing on the quest 2 the immersion was incredible but much like yourself felt it was just not good enough, too blurry in the distance.
Yeah, was too hard to spot the apex and there for had to learn a whole new set of braking marks etc but still wasn't great.

Delivered tomorrow so will let you know.

Update: It doesn't :(. Hopefully that will change though as Valve have done a lot for Linux gaming.

I really hope Valve sort out VR in Linux as one of the only reasons keeping me on Windows is I can't do VR on it.

My experience with the Steamdeck shows me that Linux can work great for Windows PC games.

I have tried ALVR a couple of times as well but it's quite spotty; some things work, others seem like they're going to then just do odd things, and other times ALVR just doesn't start at all. I have been using the appimage nightly builds though which probably breaks things quite often, but I've found that the release versions don't generally seem to work very well on Linux (so far).

Yeah, was too hard to spot the apex and there for had to learn a whole new set of braking marks etc but still wasn't great.

Delivered tomorrow so will let you know.
Buckled and bought one.
Just waiting for it to be delivered, fingers crossed it is better than the Quest 2 for sim racing :D

For sim, Assetto Corsa, these are the settings I concluded to be the best for clarity and smoothness. With a 4090, I maintain 90fps locked:

image.png

image.png

Two things Meta can do to improve things:
- Increase encode resolution
- Add 120hz

I'm pretty sure the Displayport over USB-C ship has sailed so no need to dream there.

For sim, Assetto Corsa, these are the settings I concluded to be the best for clarity and smoothness. With a 4090, I maintain 90fps locked:

image.png

image.png

Two things Meta can do to improve things:
- Increase encode resolution
- Add 120hz

I'm pretty sure the Displayport over USB-C ship has sailed so no need to dream there.

Thanks for the settings I will give them a go in the week (I have a 3090Ti so will probably have to dial them down a touch)
I've had a go on few racing games today and would say the following......
AM2 definitely looked better than on the Q2 but not an OMG this is amazing amount of difference
ACC still a bit of a mess but more than playable
AC played well and in the main looked good (just a bit washed out)
I look forward to playing HL Alyx in the week to see how amazing that looks as it looked very good on Q2

Just ordered one through new customer 20% discount on Very.

Owner of the Quest 2 and Rift, wanting to use VR on my simrig. Hoping the Quest 3 will finally be of acceptable quality to use sim racing.

Since a few of your guys have experience of both the Quest 3 and Quest pro, if you were offered your choice of one of these headsets coming from a Quest 2, at same price as the Quest 3 £479, which one would you pick?

Maybe a silly question but I'm curious.
:)

Back
Top Bottom