Quest 3 owners etc

Soldato
So I'm trying to justify forking out for a quest 3. I'm entirely new to VR but the use cases for office apps, and watching movies / Xbox streaming are drawing memin beyond simply flight SIM and half life alyx...

Any comments on these 'other' uses??

Associate
So I'm trying to justify forking out for a quest 3. I'm entirely new to VR but the use cases for office apps, and watching movies / Xbox streaming are drawing memin beyond simply flight SIM and half life alyx...

Tbh I have no idea why you'd want to use Office apps in a VR headset.

Soldato

Work use? It's not there yet, unless of course you are developing apps/games for VR.

Xbox streaming has mixed reviews so far. Some say it's laggy, others say it's brilliant. I guess it's a case of YMMV.

Watching 3D movies is awesome in VR. The Quest 3 is pretty good at normal movies too, but 3D is where it shines.

If you are new to VR though, the Quest 3 will blow you away. Do you play Elite Dangerous at all? VR is almost worth it for the first time you see your spaceship in VR. No amount of explaining or reading about will fully prepare you for what it's actually like in VR.

If you are a big into simulators, then there is no more justification needed. VR is the way to go.

Just a quick question what's your PC like?

Soldato
Work use? It's not there yet, unless of course you are developing apps/games for VR.

Xbox streaming has mixed reviews so far. Some say it's laggy, others say it's brilliant. I guess it's a case of YMMV.

Watching 3D movies is awesome in VR. The Quest 3 is pretty good at normal movies too, but 3D is where it shines.

If you are new to VR though, the Quest 3 will blow you away. Do you play Elite Dangerous at all? VR is almost worth it for the first time you see your spaceship in VR. No amount of explaining or reading about will fully prepare you for what it's actually like in VR.

If you are a big into simulators, then there is no more justification needed. VR is the way to go.

Just a quick question what's your PC like?
11th gen i5
3060ti FE
16gb ram.

I figured office apps would be a gimmick but fun - I love a good spreadsheet me, and feeling like I'm in minority report whilst whipping up a PowerPoint... Fun!!!

Soldato
That is at the lower end of the spectrum for PCVR and I dare say quest 3 native titles in general may run better..... but it will still make a go at running some of the PCVR exclusive titles... and i echo the above.. .you have to experience undocking from a space station that is orbiting an Earth like world in VR in Elite dangerous (ideally in a small ship like an eagle or a sidewinder) . (just make sure you have it set in VR low detail settings on that rig, it still looks amazing however - my 1st PCVR machine that i played Elite dangerous on was an nvidia GTX 670 so you are a long way above that.

Last edited:
Soldato
11th gen i5
3060ti FE
16gb ram.

That's fine, it's not the greatest but it's better than what a lot of us started VR with. You will be able to play most games at decent graphic levels with that card.

I figured office apps would be a gimmick but fun - I love a good spreadsheet me, and feeling like I'm in minority report whilst whipping up a PowerPoint... Fun!!!

Well, there is always Job Simulator? It's pretty boring so you would probably love it :p

Actually your wish might have been granted, Microsoft has just released their office apps for the Quest. You don't even need to use a PC. See more details here.

Associate
What would be the best upgrade? I don't know why I'm asking because I can't afford it really
In an entirely theoretical way :D as you can't afford it i'd say nvidia are thought to be the better gpu maker for VR, and the best you can afford really as higher spec card = more graphics goodies in games etc. i have a 4090 but one of those isn't a neccesity, i was getting excellent VR experiences on a 3080.

Soldato
i have been out of the upgrading loop for a while but my guess is you have quite a well balanced system.... the downside of that is there is no 1 obvious hail mary upgrade .

the obvious answer is (almost always) gpu ............ but if you did do that your cpu would definitely be a bottle neck in some games.

i would probably keep what you have and enjoy quest native titles as well as just cut a little eye candy off the pc titles and play those as well................... IF you get the bug then when you have the cash in the future and if you decided it was time to upgrade i would consider a full system refresh. (or at least cpu, motherboard, ram and gpu)

last i looked AMD offered the best highish end bang for buck on cpus ........... but then you also are advised to pair the correct ram to AMD systems as well as believe it or not some ram runs better with intel and some with AMD - optimised timings i presume..... it will be expensive hence, I would wait for now esp as you are not even sure you will get the VR bug and your pc is ok.

HOWEVER if you really want to upgrade now but on a bit of a budget, i would consider (and it is an option as you have the post count for it) going on the classifieds here and getting a 2nd hand RTX 3080. I have a 3090 which to be honest is not much different to a 3080 and there is nothing i feel it cant handle PCVR wise (usually close to full detail as well)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you short press the power button it gives you the shutdown options. If you keep the button pressed it completely shuts down the headset.

I've tried turning it off either by holding down the power button and the menu but regardless of which way I do it the battery always drains around 20-30 each day whilst it's off.

Does that indicate some kind of fault or issue with either my Quest 3 or the Official Elite Battery Strap? I haven't tried unplugging the strap whilst it's powered off but surely I shouldn't need to do that with the official one?

Last edited:
Underboss
I've tried turning it off either by holding down the power button and the menu but regardless of which way I do it the battery always drains around 20-30 each day whilst it's off.

Does that indicate some kind of fault or issue with either my Quest 3 or the Official Elite Battery Strap? I haven't tried unplugging the strap whilst it's powered off but surely I shouldn't need to do that with the official one?
oh, so you've got the elite strap with battery ?

its only a power bank, you'll need to unplug it, try it and see

Associate
11th gen i5
3060ti FE
16gb ram.

I'm using the same graphics card for PCVR and I can run settings in high for Walking Dead, Half Life: Alyx, VTOL, Contractors etc. I have undervolted it though, I'm not sure just how much that will help but it's worth looking into. My GPU temps stay reasonable as well. 3060Ti undervolt guide

My processor is a Ryzen 5 5600X and I've got 32GB of Ram.

Back
Top Bottom