Quest 3 owners etc

Soldato
Just a quick general question about the quest link cable; is it actually anything other than an absurdly overpriced usb cable, or am I just as well off buying a decent generic one?
Ta!

Associate
Just a quick general question about the quest link cable; is it actually anything other than an absurdly overpriced usb cable, or am I just as well off buying a decent generic one?
Ta!
It’s a fibre optic cable so it’s thin and flexible hence the price but any USB 3 a to c or c to c cable should work.

Associate
not strictly true

a lot of cables wont give you fast speeds

a cheap usb-c to usb-c wont cut it, but you don't need to pay metas prices

have a look at the Quest 2 accessories thread (same cables for Q3)
I’ve tested 5m cables for under £10 and they worked just fine but were thick and rigid.
I’m sure you can find some that either don’t work at all or are not syncing at USB 3.0 speeds but in general most work ok.

Associate
After lots of humming and hawing I ended up buying a Quest 3 a few days ago and thankfully it was very straightforward to transfer all my stuff from the Quest 2.

It's definitely a step up from the Q2 and so far everything is working, including AirLink! I haven't tried Virtual Desktop yet for PCVR. The audio is far better as well. Whilst the pancake lenses are easier than the Q2 freznel ones, I am finding a bit of bloom/glare in high contrast scenes, but not enough to make me want freznel back.

Asgard 2 taking ages to download despite my 900Mbps connection grrrr

Associate
Unless i'm losing my mind. I am sure my Q3 is making a very quiet chirping noise every few minutes despite being fully off. Could explain the power drain.

Associate
Raging at my son. I used to let him use my Quest 2 and he has his friends subscribed to this (my) account, which wasn't a huge problem as they never really played all the much, so would never be online whenever I played. However, they are playing more often now, hence me getting the Quest 3, and I was going to setup a family account for him and shift all his friends because it's damn annoying when they try to call thinking it's him online when it's actually me being shredded in Contractors.

However, I've just noticed that the little **** changed my username a few months ago. I don't want to be his daft username, so I've pinged a support request off to Meta to see if they will make an exception because it's within the 6 month rule. Does anyone know if they are likely to help me out?

Soldato
Raging at my son. I used to let him use my Quest 2 and he has his friends subscribed to this (my) account, which wasn't a huge problem as they never really played all the much, so would never be online whenever I played. However, they are playing more often now, hence me getting the Quest 3, and I was going to setup a family account for him and shift all his friends because it's damn annoying when they try to call thinking it's him online when it's actually me being shredded in Contractors.

However, I've just noticed that the little **** changed my username a few months ago. I don't want to be his daft username, so I've pinged a support request off to Meta to see if they will make an exception because it's within the 6 month rule. Does anyone know if they are likely to help me out?

You could take control of the prime account and change your Q3 to your preferred username and then create a sub account on the Q2 where he can have his own username and access to your games on the headset.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all - just picked up a Quest 3 to replace my Quest 2
Havent had time to use much yet but what is the status with the Original Occulus link cable?
Is it enough to keep the Q3 playing indefinately or does that not work anymore? (battery drain faster)

Thanks

Associate
You could take control of the prime account and change your Q3 to your preferred username and then create a sub account on the Q2 where he can have his own username and access to your games on the headset.

Apologies, I'm not sure I follow you when you say take control of the prime account? There's only one account at the moment which is mine and this has the recently changed username.

I have the Quest 3 now setup with this same account because I wanted all the games to carry across. The only other option I can see is setting up a new account for him with a very similar username and resubscribing his friends, then unsubscribing them from my account and waiting until I can't change the username on my account?

Associate
Hi all - just picked up a Quest 3 to replace my Quest 2
Havent had time to use much yet but what is the status with the Original Occulus link cable?
Is it enough to keep the Q3 playing indefinately or does that not work anymore? (battery drain faster)

Thanks

Considering my Q3 drains down when totally powered off when left connected to my PC I would say you need one of the aftermarket cables that are powered via the wall socket. I have such a cable for when I take my PC/Q3 over to my mates huge man cave but not had a chance to test over christmas.

For me at least the Q3 doesn't last as long in any situation stand alone or PCVR compared to the Q2. Not surprising as it's more powerful.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Considering my Q3 drains down when totally powered off when left connected to my PC I would say you need one of the aftermarket cables that are powered via the wall socket. I have such a cable for when I take my PC/Q3 over to my mates huge man cave but not had a chance to test over christmas.

For me at least the Q3 doesn't last as long in any situation stand alone or PCVR compared to the Q2. Not surprising as it's more powerful.

My q3 has lasted about as long in simple standalone games as my q2 did. Though now I basically only ever play with it plugged into a powerbank, it acts as a counterweight as well as extra power.

Soldato
It's very difficult to get a perfect quest 3, but they do exist. I remember one of mine had terrible mura, it was like both lenses were covered in dirt.

I've not noticed anything wrong with mine so far.

Even the Pro had quality issues. I RMA'd mine due to speaker hiss and eye tracking issues, but the replacement has a slight distortion at the lens edges which I never noticed on the old one but which others have noticed on theirs.

Soldato
Apologies, I'm not sure I follow you when you say take control of the prime account? There's only one account at the moment which is mine and this has the recently changed username.

I have the Quest 3 now setup with this same account because I wanted all the games to carry across. The only other option I can see is setting up a new account for him with a very similar username and resubscribing his friends, then unsubscribing them from my account and waiting until I can't change the username on my account?
Maybe I could've worded it a little more clearly... your current account with the changed name you'd have on both headsets, but on the Q2 you'd create a sub account which your son uses and he would have access to the games you share with him. When he's logged in to his sub account you shouldn't be getting messages on your Q3 from his mates.

Back
Top Bottom