Quest 3 owners etc

Associate
Had a quick go on my new Q3, and compared it with my Quest Pro.

I don't think passthrough is hugely better than the Pro, at least not for practical usage. It is definitely better but not orders of magnitude.You can tell theres some extra processing going on, as initially when you look at something it looks blurry then it's sharper a moment later.

The room scanning and the depth sensor make room setup really easy. Wish that sensor hadn't been deleted from the Pro!

The colours are better than I expected. They are a little washed out compared to Quest Pro, but the black levels are about the same as the Pro without local dimming enabled.

The resolution bump in native games is nice. Good to have fairly sharp graphics, though you can tell it's still not native res.

The WiFi seems way quicker - downloaded and installed Asgard's Wrath and a bunch of other games very quickly.

The controllers feel like cheap toys compared to the Pro controllers, but the tracking feels very solid.

Will give it a longer play later as it ran out of charge very quickly. I'm going to need to dig out a power bank for the halo headstrap I bought for it.

Since you have both, are you likely to get rid of the pro or use it even less?

I have the pro and currently contemplating buying the Q3 so wondering if its really worth it or just stick with the pro

Soldato
Since you have both, are you likely to get rid of the pro or use it even less?

I have the pro and currently contemplating buying the Q3 so wondering if its really worth it or just stick with the pro

I like the Pro too much to get rid of it. Much better audio, better colours, contrast, better controllers, more comfy (with the Globular Cluster add-on).

The only thing I prefer on the Q3 is the depth sensor and faster chipset.

I'll use the Q3 for standalone and local MP and the Pro for PC.

Ideally I'd like the Pro with the depth sensor and Q3 chipset.

Last edited:
Soldato
That suggests the issue is with the Quest 3 itself and simply having a device of some kind connected.

Be interesting to see if I have he same issue with a new battery strap. Going by media articles there’s clearly been some kind of issue with the initial batch of battery straps though so I’m happier having it replaced to be honest.

I’ll you know how things go when it arrives. The current ones been fine since I started disconnecting the charging cable whilst it’s powered off. I feel that shouldn’t be necessary with such an expensive first party head strap though.

Just to update everyone my replacement Elite Battery Strap arrived from Meta Support for my Quest 3 a couple of days ago but it has exactly the same battery drain issues when connected as my first one. Seems like, as @Ravenger IIRC suggested, if you have a power source [charger/battery] connected it causes the Quest 2/3 Headset to wake meaning it never fully sleeps when the battery strap is connected via USB-C :(

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have a Firestick you can cast to an app on that called AirScreen.
I never got this to work, the Quest never sees it. I'm currently casting to my phone and then to Airplay mirroring to the TV which is a pain as it takes my phone out of action. I was contemplating getting an HD Chromecast but I've read people losing the ability to case using Chromecast with the latest Quest update.

Last edited:
Associate
I never got this to work, the Quest never sees it. I'm currently casting to my phone and then to Airplay mirroring to the TV which is a pain as it takes my phone out of action. I was contemplating getting an HD Chromecast but I've read people losing the ability to case using Chromecast with the latest Quest update.

It worked fine for me the other day. Did you enter the IP address that AirScreen gives you into the Quest's Internet browser app?

Soldato
Another new owner joins the ranks.

Feels like being back in the golden age of gaming going from a C64 to Amiga :) Going to end up being expensive as the kids are pain in the ass with it and it was meant to be my toy :)

Cheap quest 2 incoming for them me thinks :).

Welcome to the collective.....

49957717936_f0bd743508_o.gif

SPG

SPG

Soldato
So lots of post and going through the first 20 pages I am still none the wiser......

Which replacement head strap :)

Soldato
Lol, probably not! I'll check again later.
And I can confirm I was an idiot and forgot about the actual casting part. So it works great. No idea why I opened up the browser and just expected it to work. I had tried a few different things at that point and was still learning the UI and stuff so I guess I had a brain fart and never realised.

Soldato
So lots of post and going through the first 20 pages I am still none the wiser......

Which replacement head strap :)

There's basically two types of strap. Elite style which is wobble free but puts more pressure on your face, or Halo style which has some mild sideways wobble but doesn't put pressure on the face and is more comfortable. If you're playing fast action games you may want to consider elite style as it's more stable, but if you're playing more relaxing puzzle, adventure type games, a halo style strap.

Once you've decided what type of strap, you'll also probably want to consider one that comes with a built in or hot swappable battery or two. Trusted brands are Aubika, Binbok, BoboVR, Kiwi Design, Maecker.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Thanks, still getting to grips with it tbh its very hard to fiddle with it as beat sabre addiction is bordering on a disorder :)

Soldato
I just finished The 7th Guest, great game. Since getting the Quest 3, I've played everything (apart from Beat Saber) sitting down. I prefer sitting down as it's more relaxing. The games I've played so far have suited being seated and didn't need a lot of boundary space either, but Resident Evil 4 has been installed for ages and I think it's time to start it. Or I might play Moss 2 first, not sure. Did any of you play RE4 seated and does it need a lot of space for the combat?

Associate
And I can confirm I was an idiot and forgot about the actual casting part. So it works great. No idea why I opened up the browser and just expected it to work. I had tried a few different things at that point and was still learning the UI and stuff so I guess I had a brain fart and never realised.

Good to hear it is working!

Associate
Finally decided to pull the trigger on this tonight. Coming from original rift. Any pointers? The old oculus software still what’s needed? What’s this thing about a referral code before I activate it? Any other settings to fiddle with for my first impressions? A way to test for dead pixels/uniformity? Any advice would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom