Questions - Diesel engine and transmission / gearbox reliability circa 2014-2019 -BMW - Mercedes - Audi ( on small hatchback or coupe models)

Is it me or is there has there been a recent market problem? Searching for cars couple of weeks ago there were quite a few results in the search criteria I was looking for. Today had a quick look. Next to nothing unless you up the price.

Has there been an overall price increase on the second hand market In the last 2 weeks or something ? Or am I just not seeing the results because no one has something to sell

Dealers trying to up the prices, though there has been a number of car dealers go bust of late. Think a lot of them bought too much at too high a price.

I think used prices have stagnated for now.

Dealers trying to up the prices, though there has been a number of car dealers go bust of late. Think a lot of them bought too much at too high a price.

I think used prices have stagnated for now.

Ok. I'll keep searching :( not an easy task car hunting .especially when you have mixed emotions about what to get and can't decide

Last edited:
Family member posted this to me

Got to say I'm not really a fan of Volvo's
Thoughts ? I hear they have some engine egr cooling issues

Been looking at some BMW 1 and 2 series. , They don't do the 1 series in coup anymore In later years , 2 series there is a small smattering of but again high miles .

Same with Audi A5, also been looking at Audi TT MK2 sline TDI

Thoughts ? Not many about within my budget though unless I up it

Been looking at some BMW 1 and 2 series. , They don't do the 1 series in coup anymore In later years , 2 series there is a small smattering of but again high miles .
The 2 Series is the 1 Series Coupe.
Thoughts ? Not many about within my budget though unless I up it

Same as when you started looking, you need a bigger budget or lower expectations, that's why you're hardly finding any decent cars for sale.

If the mileage was at 60k I would have gone for it

And it would have cost more as a result..

Increase your budget or look at something like a Seat Leon or similar, which is just as good a car as an Audi TT (most of it is the same car!).

Last edited:
I don't mind increasing abit, TT MK2 or audi A5 worth going for if I can increase budget a little or go for one that's on slightly higher milage than a expected ?.ie 77k as an example.?

The MK2 is such an old car now though, it's based on a 2003 Audi A3 and will feel very old. The A5 is better in this respect but still dates from 2007.

If you do want to increase your budget, then maybe a 2016 onwards Audi A4? A much more modern car, if you can find a good example.

It's almost like listening is hard work?

Fox has already pointed out that low mileage (for their age) cars are just as bad (especially diesels), and told you to up your budget if you insist on something German.

2015 A5 on 46k

Just over 9k?

Worth a look ?

May as well get an older one then.... Even though it's a facelift it's still a car originally released in 2007.

2017 is when the next model came out.

Edit:
If you want a new car just buy what you want, as no amount of reasoning is going to sway your decision

Last edited:
What issues do people have with the Audi TT MK2 or MK3 here ?

Forget budget for the moment. What is the real issue people have with the car ? Same with the Audi A5? Coup ?

Iv not owned either but there is a lot of.hate against them, yet I know the TT has been known to be a reliable car..

Last edited:
The MK3 is excellent, but surely not available at under £10k. The MK2 was a good car but it's really just a 2003 Audi A3, so it's just very dated now and not something you'd want to spend significant amounts of money on.

The MK3 is excellent, but surely not available at under £10k. The MK2 was a good car but it's really just a 2003 Audi A3, so it's just very dated now and not something you'd want to spend significant amounts of money on.

Possibly an extra 1k or 2 over the 10k mark would probably start seeing some mk3s about. By the looks of things

2015 A5 on 46k

Just over 9k?

Worth a look ?

Absolutely not, avoid the multi tronic like the plague.
As the owner of two B8s (a 3.0 tdi quattro and a 3.0tfsi S4) I'd say it's mad to spend that money for something like that 2.0 tdi. Get a Leon, Octavia mk3 or similar. The B8 are well built inside but the running costs at that age will creep up, especially those with S line and big wheels. Suspension arms, ball joints, shocks, wheel bearings are all guaranteed going to need attention in the nearby future, steer clear unless you can DIY most things. Or at the very least get something like a 3.0 tdi quattro which at least is a more competent, refined, reliable and also less dull.

Last edited:
MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS 220**AMG SPORT PLUS**XENONS-F/R
Silver 74000 Miles

£8995
Are these any good reliability engine and gearbox wise ?

Last edited:
How does replacing your 1 series with an old Mercedes of similar age but for as much as that make any sense? I thought you were trying to get something more reliable? You may as well keep yours if something that old is acceptable.

You need something much newer than your current car or there's no point changing it in my view.

Last edited:
There is point in changing as it's likely the bottom end rod bearings will go on the 1 series at 160k

I'm on 133k.

It's a known problem and no matter how much you service engine it has a good chance of happening . Also timing chain even though iv stuck to 6-8k oil services

Last edited:
There is point in changing as it's likely the bottom end rod bearings will go on the 1 series at 160k

I'm on 133k.

It's a known problem and no matter how much you service engine it has a good chance of happening . Also timing chain even though iv stuck to 6-8k oil services

Exactly 160k? Really?

No older car is free from issues. The chance is something could go wrong on any of the things you're looking at - if you want to reduce this risk stop looking at old Mercedes and start looking at much newer cars.

I know you don't agree and I know you say you must have an Audi or something similar but this thread has been going for half a year now and you're no closer to the right car - you need to change something about your search.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom