Questions - Diesel engine and transmission / gearbox reliability circa 2014-2019 -BMW - Mercedes - Audi ( on small hatchback or coupe models)

What about these then ? 2 series sport and the other m sport although It would be better with a 2.0,

Anyone know if the 1.8s are any good ?

Last edited:
What about these then ? 2 series sport and the other m sport although It would be better with a 2.0,

Anyone know if the 1.8s are any good ?
218 & 220 are the same 2 litre lump. I assume they're pretty much identical bar the state of tune, but don't quote me on that :p

Had a quick Google and couldn't even find reference to this happening on the engine in a 120d, let alone it being a common and "certain" issue

Ok I probably over reacted. And may not be related to the 120d but Iv seen a few 320d have this issue including one of my old cars.

Is there an engine that if you service it frequently enough will reach the 160-200k and onwards ?

Searching in the seat Leon range your still looking at a 2016 ish model with 65k on the clock. For around £9.5-10.5k unless you want a 1.4 model

What is the difference here ? I can't see any decent looking 2.0 litre models ie 2020-2022 models for 10k with warrenty.

Not overly fussed on the hatchback side of it. I think some of the new new ones are alright. But some of the older ones I don't like the shape , If they done a coupe model I'd look

Last edited:
Your talking about the 218 (150) not the 220 (190bhp model)

Also, checked my milage over the past year or two. It could range from 8-9k on one year and another year 10-11k

Isn't the whole diesel Vs petrol discussions usually around cost saving if you do over 12k miles ? I guess then there is the soot and carbon buildup element of diesel

What sort of milage could you get out of say a well maintained petrol engine 220i Vs 220d

or an Leon 2.0 diesel and petrol ? Before they start getting issues ?

Last edited:
Isn't the whole diesel Vs petrol discussions usually around cost saving if you do over 12k miles ?
I worked it out earlier for your 120d Vs a 220i. At 8k miles your diesel saved you just under £300 year which is hardly huge in the scheme of things.

However an EGR or DPF fault could easily eat that and more.
Also since you're seemingly insistent on a manual as well (as opposed to one of the main reasons for getting a "luxury" German car - a decent auto box), factor in a near certain DMF replacement with a clutch change.

I worked it out earlier for your 120d Vs a 220i. At 8k miles your diesel saved you just under £300 year which is hardly huge in the scheme of things.

However an EGR or DPF fault could easily eat that and more.
Also since you're seemingly insistent on a manual as well (as opposed to one of the main reasons for getting a "luxury" German car - a decent auto box), factor in a near certain DMF replacement with a clutch change.

Let's say an avg of 10k miles over a year which could go up. So probably around 400 a year?

EGR and DPF. I don't really have any faults on my current 120d for these as far as I can tell, and as I said earlier.i do hybrid city and motorway driving .

Am I correct in thinking the model which has the exhaust coming directly out horizontal doesn't have a DPF fitted. Exhausts that curves down do have one? Or is it the other way round.

My 120d e82 has a straight exhaust, not seen any dpf issues driving around

Clutch change, so this is another thing , I always thought that auto boxes were no less or more reliable than manual, cost more to repair when it goes wrong and doesn't have as good performance as manaul counterpart (delayed shifting etc)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom