• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Ok, new 290X 8gb owner looking for a bit of advice. I'm trying to get the gpu temps down a bit as I've come from a Galax 970 and I'm looking at reducing core voltage. People here (Amd Matt) say take the voltage down in increments but I'm a little fuzzy as the amount. I've dropped the voltage from +37 to -6 which is how I read the info posted in this thread and just run Heaven 4.0 with no probs at all and barely got into the 70s degrees. Obviously that'll be a higher figure with summat like Crysis 3 which is more graphically demanding, but I need a start point to work from.
So...is reading -6 core voltage in afterburner a good start or have totally misread the info here. Any info would be appreciated here

Ok, new 290X 8gb owner looking for a bit of advice. I'm trying to get the gpu temps down a bit as I've come from a Galax 970 and I'm looking at reducing core voltage. People here (Amd Matt) say take the voltage down in increments but I'm a little fuzzy as the amount. I've dropped the voltage from +37 to -6 which is how I read the info posted in this thread and just run Heaven 4.0 with no probs at all and barely got into the 70s degrees. Obviously that'll be a higher figure with summat like Crysis 3 which is more graphically demanding, but I need a start point to work from.
So...is reading -6 core voltage in afterburner a good start or have totally misread the info here. Any info would be appreciated here

Start at -0.006v and work down from there. You should get somewhere around -0.020v--0.050v depending on the card. Low Asic cards tend to be able to undervolt better I've found, but there is no exact science to this.

Instability usually shows itself as 2D flickering whilst browsing, or a black screen. Once you hit either of those back off -0.012v and you should be golden.

Instability can show itself under 3D load as artifacting, or flashing textures (purple sparks) so look out for those.

Overclocking the memory becomes troublesome once you start going into negative voltage, (black screen) so I'd not recommend it on the 290/290X. The only cards that this does not apply to are the MSI 290X Lightning and the 295x2. You can safely overclock the memory whilst undervolting on these models.

edit

One other thing, if you card has overclocked memory at stock clocks then proceed with caution as undervolting might cause black screens. Go in small -0.006v steps so that you can spot trouble earlier. The stock 290/290X memory speed is 1250Mhz, these cards have the green light for full undervolting.

Last edited:
Right a bit of a play around and so far I've got showing in afterburner:

Core voltage showing -12
Power limit +50
Fan auto

all other settings at stock.

Crysis 3 peaks at about 77c as opposed to 90c before dropping the voltage. I only gave it a quick go so the longer the game is played, I reckon the temps might rise a bit more.
Do you think the core voltage would go any lower and where do I find out the card's asic?

Right a bit of a play around and so far I've got showing in afterburner:

Core voltage showing -12
Power limit +50
Fan auto

all other settings at stock.

Crysis 3 peaks at about 77c as opposed to 90c before dropping the voltage. I only gave it a quick go so the longer the game is played, I reckon the temps might rise a bit more.
Do you think the core voltage would go any lower and where do I find out the card's asic?

GPU-Z will let you read the Asic. Right click the titlebar of GPU-Z and select read asic.

Nf43kqt.jpg

Just keep undervolting until you hit instability. Or try -0.025v if you're getting impatient, then lower until you get issues, then increase +0.012v.

See this is the thing, the figures you're quoting for core voltage aren't what I'm seeing in afterburner. All I'm looking at is, atm, -12, yet you say set to 0.025v, theres no correlation between these two figures. Can you givvus a base value of core voltage so I can work out what the incremental drop is, ie: to get 0.025v, what core voltage figure should I set in afterburner?

See this is the thing, the figures you're quoting for core voltage aren't what I'm seeing in afterburner. All I'm looking at is, atm, -12, yet you say set to 0.025v, theres no correlation between these two figures. Can you givvus a base value of core voltage so I can work out what the incremental drop is, ie: to get 0.025v, what core voltage figure should I set in afterburner?

-0.012v is -12v etc. :)

Try raising the fps cap, or you can use this as an alternative solution for the core clock fluctuating.

Enabled unified gpu usage monitoring.

Well the game has V Sync turned off I then went into the 3d Application Settings and turned V sync off for games even if they enable it and still in Wildenstein loading screen hits over 100fps then the game limits at 60 fps with 60c temps 800-900 core clock and on average 30-50 GPU usage.

Strange as at times it does drop into 40's where you would think to keep at 60 fps it would then go to 100% gpu usage max out clock speed etc but it doesn't the game still runs smooth just confused with what's going on that is all.

Undervolted to -50 and when running Sniper Elite 3 on Ultra 16 AF / 4x Super Samp boy.. does this card get toasty highest I have seen is 88c but created a custom fan curve and I just need to start ignoring these numbers and enjoy the beast although how this card would cope in the summer I do not know without being at 100% fan speed!

When using AMD's GVR how do I get the FPS to show on the video, even Afterburner is set to show on recordings but it still doesn't.

Shadowplay is far superior unfortunately in my opinion!

Undervolted to -50 and when running Sniper Elite 3 on Ultra 16 AF / 4x Super Samp boy.. does this card get toasty highest I have seen is 88c but created a custom fan curve and I just need to start ignoring these numbers and enjoy the beast although how this card would cope in the summer I do not know without being at 100% fan speed!

When using AMD's GVR how do I get the FPS to show on the video, even Afterburner is set to show on recordings but it still doesn't.

Shadowplay is far superior unfortunately in my opinion!

Raptr has its own FPS OSD - Because how OSD works they never record each other.. OBS, RAPTR, MSI AB, all use there own OSD and wont record another OSD.

So for it to show I have to close MSI Afterburner?

Cause I'm sure in the options I enabled FPS to show and still nothing. :/

My I ask why do you want the FPS to show on a recording anyway?

It could be conflicting with MSI AB OSD.. Even Steam new FPS display dont show on MSI AB or Raptr because how these programs work by injecing into the game.. Only a program that records raw data like Dxtory will record what you see..

Back
Top Bottom