• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Undervolted to -50 and when running Sniper Elite 3 on Ultra 16 AF / 4x Super Samp boy.. does this card get toasty highest I have seen is 88c but created a custom fan curve and I just need to start ignoring these numbers and enjoy the beast although how this card would cope in the summer I do not know without being at 100% fan speed!

When using AMD's GVR how do I get the FPS to show on the video, even Afterburner is set to show on recordings but it still doesn't.

Shadowplay is far superior unfortunately in my opinion!

Sniper Elite heats up my cards too, it's like Sleeping Dogs pretty much.

Hi guys. Just a quick question to see if anyone is suffering from severe like coil whine noises on high demanding games/benchmarks please? Mine literally screams at me. I've sent it back to be replaced and the replacement is identical in terms of issues.

My next step is to test another PSU with it but thought it was worth an ask. Regards

Is that 290x or 295x2?

I don't hear any whine on any of my three 290x's, nor did I have any one my three 290's.

Though, thinking about it, mine have all been powercolor, who use "anti-whine technology" (AKA glue) to reduce the chance of it happening.

Hi guys. Just a quick question to see if anyone is suffering from severe like coil whine noises on high demanding games/benchmarks please? Mine literally screams at me. I've sent it back to be replaced and the replacement is identical in terms of issues.

My next step is to test another PSU with it but thought it was worth an ask. Regards

Ask in the 295x2 owners thread. ;)

Just a general GPU query but since it's a 290X why the hell not post in here as I'm sure some of you nice folks will be able to advise me on what I imagine to be an extremely basic query.

I have a 290X and a 40inch HD TV what is the best way to hook this up.

I have a HDMI cable at the ready?

1. What resolution will I be playing (1080p?)
2. Even if it's the same resolution will my FPS take a larger hit (I believe not as it's the same amount of pixels?)
3. How do I get the sound to come out of the TV speakers?
4. Is there also a way I can display the imagine on the TV and still use my PC speakers also?
5. Can I leave the cable attached and still use my monitor with the other screen turned off etc without my GPU working harder etc?

Just a general GPU query but since it's a 290X why the hell not post in here as I'm sure some of you nice folks will be able to advise me on what I imagine to be an extremely basic query.

I have a 290X and a 40inch HD TV what is the best way to hook this up.

What resolution will I be playing (1080p?)
Even if it's the same resolution will my FPS take a larger hit (I believe not as it's the same amount of pixels?)
How do I get the sound to come out of the TV speakers?
Is there also a way I can display the imagine on the TV and still use my PC speakers also?

HDMI connection and no performance hit. :)

HDMI connection and no performance hit. :)

The HDMI cable will also carrie an audio signal to your tv.

Just a quick post before I go eat tea then to sort it out afterwards.

But after plugging in the HDMI the only way I have managed to get a picture on the 40" TV is to duplicate screens which shows the desktop but then goes blank when I load a game and only my monitor works, plus I don't want both screens running the game at the same time do I?

Any guidance towards the setup will be much appreciated :D

Just a quick post before I go eat tea then to sort it out afterwards.

But after plugging in the HDMI the only way I have managed to get a picture on the 40" TV is to duplicate screens which shows the desktop but then goes blank when I load a game and only my monitor works, plus I don't want both screens running the game at the same time do I?

Any guidance towards the setup will be much appreciated :D

Right click on your desktop and go onto 'screen resolution' then select extend option this is what i do when i have mine plugged into my tv for watching films and stuff

Or go into CCC and set up eyefinity? (not sure how this works though)

I got it working but it was abit of a bodge job!

Although 1080p on a 40" OLD HD TV doesn't look amazing, So ill stick with my monitor! Tempted to go for that 27" 1440P monitor but waiting for obvious reasons :D

Hi all,

I've got three questions.

First of all this morning when opening Steam strangely enough my screen fizzled out within a few fractions of a second and blacked out requiring a hard restart while this is the first time my GPU 290X was undervolted by -50 is this an indication of instability? (Since then I have given it slightly more volts even though it's been -50 for over a week) everything is up and running fine since.

Secondly what is the max voltage in MSI Afterburner values safe to give my card for 24/7 out of curiosity (Lets assume all temps are perfect)

Thirdly obviously no one wants to get to this point but when overclocking memory and it causes a instant black screen when booting a game for example requiring a restart can this is anyway harm the graphics card?

First of all this morning when opening Steam strangely enough my screen fizzled out within a few fractions of a second and blacked out requiring a hard restart while this is the first time my GPU 290X was undervolted by -50 is this an indication of instability? (Since then I have given it slightly more volts even though it's been -50 for over a week) everything is up and running fine since.

This can happen on a cold boot, it means your undervolt is not 100% stable. Notch it down to -0.044v and see if it happens again.

Hi all,

I've got three questions.

Secondly what is the max voltage in MSI Afterburner values safe to give my card for 24/7 out of curiosity (Lets assume all temps are perfect)

Thirdly obviously no one wants to get to this point but when overclocking memory and it causes a instant black screen when booting a game for example requiring a restart can this is anyway harm the graphics card?

Firstly. I don't see the point in under volting the card unless you're having temp issues in the 1st place. Let the card run as intended.

Secondly. How longs a piece of string. Depends how well you can keep temps under control under whichever given voltage. Cooling will determine what volts you can run 24/7

Thirdly. If you're getting black screens from memory clocking.... it's time to dial back until stable. The odd black screen here and there won't damage the card.

Last edited:
This can happen on a cold boot, it means your undervolt is not 100% stable. Notch it down to -0.044v and see if it happens again.

It's been running fine for quite a while so as suggested notched it down to -0.044v.

Thanks for such a prompt response Matt, all of your knowledge is highly appreciated.

Firstly. I don't see the point in under volting the card unless you're having temp issues in the 1st place. Let the card run as intended.

Secondly. How longs a piece of string. Depends how well you can keep temps under control under whichever given vaults. Cooling will determine what volts you can run 24/7

Thirdly. If you're getting black screens from memory clocking.... it's time to dial it back until stable. The odd black screen here and there won't damage the card.

Well I have good case cooling and I have the MSI Twin Frozr version of the 290X and it was reaching 84+ with a high fan speed which being aware it's one of the weaker cooling solution cards I'd have thought this time of year in a Corsair 450D it wouldn't have to try so hard hence undervolting to shave off a few degree's here and there. I'm guessing the thermal paste application is poor but I don't fancy messing around with it myself at this moment in time.

I see thank you for the information it is appreciated.

Last edited:
It's been running fine for quite a while so as suggested notched it down to -0.044v.

Thanks for such a prompt response Matt, all of your knowledge is highly appreciated.

No problem. :)

I have the same dilemma with my 4x290X 8GB cards, -0.050v is not 100% stable and get the odd black screen on cold boot every now and then, but -0.044v works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom