• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Switch the bios back then. :)

I wonder if perhaps you can test each card on it's own for a day or so to see if either card gives you problems. Please also ensure your whole system is at stock.

Idle problems usually indicate something is unstable somewhere if the systems works fine under 3d load, just need to try and find out what it is.

I also find it odd that disabling ULPS locked your system up.

Yep, I'll try each card for one day and see if I experience any issues. It's very confusing since my old 970 sli setup has 0 freezing, but these cards seem to perform really well in games. It's just the random freezing on black screen when loading a program.

I've contacted Gigabyte asking if they have any idea, perhaps there's an issue with the PCI-E slot.

Last edited:
AMD Matt,

Quick update. I'm at -37 on the voltage and it seems to be eating through Crysis 3 without a hitch.

I'm a little hesitant to keep pushing as I want to avoid any problems however easy they might be to correct.

So far I've dropped a couple of degree's and to be honest it was only ever Crysis which made my GPU go over 80c therefore I should be okay and I am aware these cards are designed to operate at high temps.

Back in the day I remember my 8800 GT that liked to get equally as toasty and that bit warmer :D

Hi Matt, I tried with 1 card, and it felt more stable and didn't have any crashing for a few hours. However, I enabled Graphics Overdrive, then loaded up MSI Afterburner and the rig froze.

Hoping this info might help.

Hi Matt, I tried with 1 card, and it felt more stable and didn't have any crashing for a few hours. However, I enabled Graphics Overdrive, then loaded up MSI Afterburner and the rig froze.

Hoping this info might help.

Ok, time for a fresh install i think.

Uninstall drivers, restart, reinstall drivers. Don't enable overdrive, leave it locked. Just use afterburner to control fan speed and gpu clocks.

AMD Matt,

Quick update. I'm at -37 on the voltage and it seems to be eating through Crysis 3 without a hitch.

I'm a little hesitant to keep pushing as I want to avoid any problems however easy they might be to correct.

So far I've dropped a couple of degree's and to be honest it was only ever Crysis which made my GPU go over 80c therefore I should be okay and I am aware these cards are designed to operate at high temps.

Back in the day I remember my 8800 GT that liked to get equally as toasty and that bit warmer :D

Result. :)

Ok, time for a fresh install i think.

Uninstall drivers, restart, reinstall drivers. Don't enable overdrive, leave it locked. Just use afterburner to control fan speed and gpu clocks.

Result. :)

This under volting does not do much for mine.;)

I dialled in -49, the first number that came up and ran FS Ultra and found the temps only dropped 2c down to 42c.:p:D:cool::)

Had a quick go on arkham city today on my lightning and found afterburner to show usage at 0 at some points even though fps was at 60
Anyone know what causes this?

Last edited:
Tried playing Elite D today for the first time after getting a 290x but as soon as the game starts to load it goes back to desktop while it's still going. If I click on the tab it flickers to the game then back to desktop again. Anyone know how to sort this?

Tried playing Elite D today for the first time after getting a 290x but as soon as the game starts to load it goes back to desktop while it's still going. If I click on the tab it flickers to the game then back to desktop again. Anyone know how to sort this?

Had that once or twice. A restart cured it.

Put my 2 lightnings underwater at the weekend. First time I've dabbled in watercooling but well worth it. At stock clocks they max out at 43 degrees now and that's without the fans turned up high.

Very impressed with them, they are about 10-15% quicker than my Titan Z was stock v stock

Had a quick go on arkham city today on my lightning and found afterburner to show usage at 0 at some points even though fps was at 60
Anyone know what causes this?

Interested in this also for example when playing Wolfenstien my FPS is capped at 60 even though V Sync is turned off and GPU usage fluctuates and only runs a varied core clocks temps don't exceed 62 degree's compared to Crysis 70/80c.

Is this a driver issue or how the game is setup? The concern is that sometimes my FPS dips and the core clock dosen't go higher to its full potential to counter that.

I'd have thought that a modern ish decent looking game would stress the GPU more!

Last edited:
Interested in this also for example when playing Wolfenstien my FPS is capped at 60 even though V Sync is turned off and GPU usage fluctuates and only runs a varied core clocks temps don't exceed 62 degree's compared to Crysis 70/80c.

Is this a driver issue or how the game is setup? The concern is that sometimes my FPS dips and the core clock dosen't go higher to its full potential to counter that.

I'd have thought that a modern ish decent looking game would stress the GPU more!

I enabled something in the general options which seems to have settled afterburner readings. Can't remember what its called but its right at the bottom of the General options tab. It's something to do with AMD cards.

Try raising the fps cap, or you can use this as an alternative solution for the core clock fluctuating.

Try this for a fix for the clock dropping. No need to use unofficial overclocking method either so clocks will drop to 2d levels as normal.

1. Download RadeoPro - http://www.radeonpro.info/2013/11/new-build-with-support-for-amd-radeon-r-series/

2. Create a profile using the game exe.

3. Click the profile tab, then the overdrive tab. Click the padlock to unlock overdrive, click enable graphics overdrive, then click 'always use highest performance clocks while gaming'. Don't forget to set +50% power tune in RP. Now right click the game profile shortcut on the left and select apply then launch the game.

GByks3x.jpg

I enabled something in the general options which seems to have settled afterburner readings. Can't remember what its called but its right at the bottom of the General options tab. It's something to do with AMD cards.

Enabled unified gpu usage monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom