• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

It's been running fine for quite a while so as suggested notched it down to -0.044v.

Thanks for such a prompt response Matt, all of your knowledge is highly appreciated.

Well I have good case cooling and I have the MSI Twin Frozr version of the 290X and it was reaching 84+ with a high fan speed which being aware it's one of the weaker cooling solution cards I'd have thought this time of year in a Corsair 450D it wouldn't have to try so hard hence undervolting to shave off a few degree's here and there. I'm guessing the thermal paste application is poor but I don't fancy messing around with it myself at this moment in time.

I see thank you for the information it is appreciated.

Each card can be different on how far you can undervolt. It's just trial and error. As for running at 84 degrees it's still within spec, although that will rise come summer. Have a play with some custom fan profiles and see how you get on. Undervolting won't make a massive difference on single card.

Yeah I'm aware 84 is within spec but it has reached 88c and also when it's in the 80s the fan speed is mid 70's being quite loud.

Being the Twin Frozr I'd have thought it'd be those temps with a lower fan speed but since I have created a custom profile higher speeds at lower temps tends to keep it sub 80c and slightly lower fan speeds overall.

Hi,
I keep getting a freeze and then my screens flicker and then everything goes back to normal :(
It also caused a blackscreen followed by all my fans going full, never recovered.
This is a xfx 290x,
i7 4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK Mobo

Last edited:
Guys when you OC memory on r9 290x,are you changing aux voltage?Seen one guy on youtube how said that adding 13 mV helped to push for 1640mhz on memory.
So far I manage 1175mhz on the core.

Has anyone else seen a similar issue to me?
the display driver crashing during games and sometimes causing the pc to crash to black :(
I'm going to try stripping all the drivers and re-installing, but if that doesn't work i'm a bit lost :(

Manage 1175/1600mhz.Now need some testing in games.
I had crash like you describe above,when OC memory.
I put 1600,later 1500 and it crash (black screen,hard reset require).
Forgot to put power limit to 50% in msi afterburner,when is on 50% problem was gone.

Hi, I guess here is the right place to ask.
I have 2 sapphire 290x vapour 4gb versions.
In afterburner when using mantle in BF4 memory usage for card 2 is reported as exceeding 5.5gb ? With DX 11 its around 3gb as you would expect.
Actually there is another question there as card 2 is actually card 1 and vice versa as afterburner reports ?
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Just ran the Firestrike benchmark for High End Gaming PC's the Single GPU test.

4690k at 4.6Ghz
290X 1100 Core - 1350 Memory (Stock Volts) Mild overclock but just to give you an idea of the results it achieved.

D6FKUSo.png

How's that look?

Seems pretty good going to me :D

Back
Top Bottom