• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Hi, I guess here is the right place to ask.
I have 2 sapphire 290x vapour 4gb versions.
In afterburner when using mantle in BF4 memory usage for card 2 is reported as exceeding 5.5gb ? With DX 11 its around 3gb as you would expect.
Actually there is another question there as card 2 is actually card 1 and vice versa as afterburner reports ?
Thanks for any help.

Any suggestions ?

i didn't think afterburner worked with mantle?

Afterburner stacks the memory with 290s, so with Crossfire the VRAM figure will generally be double that actually used.

Is there a way to gain more volts in msi afterburner(+100mV)?
It seems like my gpu loves them:)

True Audio in Thief.Can be turn on/off in game menu,or I need to do it in options before game lunch?
ta

Last edited:
tommybhoy
+1
Had few black screens in the morning with Trixx on the system start up.
Using AB will help a lot.
ta
It's working,I mange extra 55mhz on core so my OC is now 1230/1625Mhz
Firestrike score now:
b27dabef35288b35.jpg

Last edited:
Replay to me in 290x owners thread,please.
So you addning that way +300mv?
I used +200mv.
You have fans on 100% there,and I'd like to now vram temp. during normal usage.

I used Trixx tonight and it allows up to +400 vddc
100% fan, 1250/1650 clocks
VRM temps are pretty good. I ran Fire strike extreme twice and temps maxed at 66C and 40C as shown below

12010_zpsr05mq9ib.jpg

I used Trixx few days ago (+200 mV was all you could add).
I've red in Rangerjr1 that he wouldn't go above +200mV.
To get your OC did you use +300 or 400?
Would like to now if adding that many volts is safe,wouldn't want to fry the card:D

Last edited:
I'm using modified AB shortcut,and then I use AB,just don't like Trixx.
I'm not worrying about temps.,card is under water(never goes about 60).
I just would like to know if adding +300 or 400mV is safe?!
AB has only +100mv,Trixx +200mv,without modification (so probably there is a reason for it).
You didn't answer my question,what voltage are you need to use to reach your OC?
My gpu will do 1220/1600 on + 200mv.

Hi all, just a quick question on the power requirements for a reference 290X - my PSU is in my sig and I'm a little worried that a 600W PSU won't be enough for my rig and a 290X!?!?

The reason I'm a bit wary is because on OCUK some of the 290X's actually recommends at least a 600W PSU!?!?

Hi all, just a quick question on the power requirements for a reference 290X - my PSU is in my sig and I'm a little worried that a 600W PSU won't be enough for my rig and a 290X!?!?

The reason I'm a bit wary is because on OCUK some of the 290X's actually recommends at least a 600W PSU!?!?

600W should be fine with that CPU and a 290X, just don't go mad with overclocking :P

Look for 290 as well,there isn't much difference between them.

My aim is to upgrade to a 1440p screen and be able to game at a respectable level graphics-wise - would a standard 290 cut the mustard then? (I'm aware that I will probably have to overclock my CPU so it doesn't become a bottleneck!)

I'm spending a lot of time on Elite Dangerous at the moment so I'd like it to look as pretty as possible! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom