• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

My aim is to upgrade to a 1440p screen and be able to game at a respectable level graphics-wise - would a standard 290 cut the mustard then? (I'm aware that I will probably have to overclock my CPU so it doesn't become a bottleneck!)

I'm spending a lot of time on Elite Dangerous at the moment so I'd like it to look as pretty as possible! :D

I play at 2560x1440 and a 290X copes pretty well in truth. It does require a decent CPU as well but a single 290X will be fine as long as you stay away from Supersampling and ROG Swift monitors :D

290/290X are both fine for Elite: Dangerous at 1440p.

Lag is pretty bad if I try to enable VSR, but hopefully a crossfire profile on the 19th will sort that out.

Does anyone know how the Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC card stacks up against the standard 290 and 290X's?

From what I've read they a mildly overclocked but have a superior cooler to keep the noise down compared to the reference cards - does this sound about right?

Hmmm, I think I'm leaning towards the MSI Radeon R9 290X LE Gaming Edition - does anyone know how good the fan is on these?

It says it's a "Twin FrozR" cooler - aren't these supposed to be pretty good while being fairly quiet?

That is what I have and whilst the fan can get a little noisy and the temps get hot, it is still a decent card. I am usually full water cooled though, so probably not the best person to rely on :)

Back
Top Bottom