• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Great, OK so I'm running the following:

CPU I7 3930K
GPU MSI Radeon R9 290X Gaming Edition 4096MB (x2)
ASUS Ramage IV Extreme Motherboard
16GB RAM
1200W PSU
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit (New install)
Resolution 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz

My display flickers randomly and inconsistently. Whether on the desktop, in a game or watching a film. Every now and then the display will flicker once, very briefly. Also, there is some stuttering. Sometimes when moving the mouse on the desktop it will stutter/stick very briefly. Sometimes a game will also stutter very briefly.
So far there is only one circumstance where the display will go black and lose signal and that is during a specific game. The PC is locked up at this point and needs to be switched off at the mains in order to restart it.

What do you guys think?

Also your pc is extremely overpowered for your resolution. Especially the refresh rate of the monitor. To do it justice you should be at 2560 x 1440 res or a 144hz monitor.

Last edited:
remove all overclocks idealy reset Bios and the GPU's and test system

also what brand 1200W PSU

My PSU is the 'Corsair Professional Series AX1200 High Performance 1200W'

Running my system at stock clocks appears to have made the flickering stop, at least for the duration I used them. I then loaded an overclock profile and the system seems stable, and my display has only flickered once so far. It's really strange, I have no idea what's causing it and any flickering that does occur appears to happen very occasionally and at random.

My temps are good and CPU/ Memory usage looks normal.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

My PSU is the 'Corsair Professional Series AX1200 High Performance 1200W'

Running my system at stock clocks appears to have made the flickering stop, at least for the duration I used them. I then loaded an overclock profile and the system seems stable, and my display has only flickered once so far. It's really strange, I have no idea what's causing it and any flickering that does occur appears to happen very occasionally and at random.

My temps are good and CPU/ Memory usage looks normal.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

"I have no idea what's causing it"
You removed the over clock and it stopped, then you re-clocked and it started again

You removed the over clock and it stopped, then you re-clocked and it started again

Well I'm having a similar issue,
Screen will flicker, sometimes the display driver crashes me out of some games.
every no and then it black screens the pc and I have to kill the power.

I have no overclock etc.
cleaned drivers, re-installed.
I'm really at a loss.
:(

That's what I thought as well. So I removed the overclock again and ran my system at stock clocks for a longer period of time. Unfortunately the flicker eventually showed up. So I still have no idea what's causing it.

My system is usable despite this, however I'd like to know if the flicker is symptomatic of some underlying problem.

Well I'm having a similar issue,
Screen will flicker, sometimes the display driver crashes me out of some games.
every no and then it black screens the pc and I have to kill the power.

I have no overclock etc.
cleaned drivers, re-installed.
I'm really at a loss.
:(

Have you seen your screen flicker when you're in the BIOS? I've noticed this when I am. I wonder if this means it's more likely to be a hardware than a software issue?

I've hardly been in bios really, but I only see it playing games, high particle stuff I think. But not tested it

Ah, OK. How many GPUs do you have enabled when you get the flickering?

I think having CrossfireX enabled is the source of my flickering. I'm guessing you've already eliminated that as the source of the problem on your end?

Anyone here had flickering issues as a result of Crossfire? If so how did you eliminate it, (that is if you were able to).

Also, what sort of scores should I be expecting to see on the Heaven 4.0 benchmark?

With the following settings:

API: DirectX11
Quality : Ultra
Tessellation: Extreme
Anti-aliasing: x8
1920x1080
Full screen
Other options disabled

With one GPU I get:
FPS: 55.0
Score: 1387
Min FPS: 29.2
Max FPS: 111.9

With 2 (crossfire disabled):
FPS: 54.7
Score: 1378
Min FPS: 20.0
Max FPS: 112.4

Crossfire enabled:
FPS: 106.8
Score: 2689
Min FPS: 32.9
Max FPS: 230.9

Are these results in the expected range?

Last edited:
I'm only running one.
I've not seen it for a while now. only change being i've upped to 16gb ram, couple more fans to the system.
I've not actively tried to cause it though, it seemed to pop up a ton in magicka, might try that for a bit

Ah, OK. How many GPUs do you have enabled when you get the flickering?

I think having CrossfireX enabled is the source of my flickering. I'm guessing you've already eliminated that as the source of the problem on your end?

Anyone here had flickering issues as a result of Crossfire? If so how did you eliminate it, (that is if you were able to).

Also, what sort of scores should I be expecting to see on the Heaven 4.0 benchmark?

With the following settings:

API: DirectX11
Quality : Ultra
Tessellation: Extreme
Anti-aliasing: x8
1920x1080
Full screen
Other options disabled

With one GPU I get:
FPS: 55.0
Score: 1387
Min FPS: 29.2
Max FPS: 111.9

With 2 (crossfire disabled):
FPS: 54.7
Score: 1378
Min FPS: 20.0
Max FPS: 112.4

Crossfire enabled:
FPS: 106.8
Score: 2689
Min FPS: 32.9
Max FPS: 230.9

Are these results in the expected range?

I only have one card. But on stock clocks i'm getting about the same. Have a look on the Benchmark thread for more scores :)

I'm only running one.
I've not seen it for a while now. only change being i've upped to 16gb ram, couple more fans to the system.
I've not actively tried to cause it though, it seemed to pop up a ton in magicka, might try that for a bit

Yea, seems to be tricky to isolate the source of the issue and reliably replicate it.

Have you tried using different PCI-E slots? If you get the flickering again maybe try that? The cards temps OK?

Back
Top Bottom