• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*R9 290X Prolimatech MK-26 Fitting Guide*

Soldato
I would think if it's not a Pciex slot connection problem (heat and weight) it is a damaged card as nasty as it sounds minor flexing of the card should not cause disconnects of any of the components.

Personally if I was pursuing your route I would brace the card whether it be with the original sub plate or some other method and also mount the fans to a case supported sub tray.

Even if I had to hack the cooler I may also consider leaving the original ATI fan for a bit of airflow on the card as I doubt you have much air penetration around the VRM's.

Associate
OP
I would think if it's not a Pciex slot connection problem (heat and weight) it is a damaged card as nasty as it sounds minor flexing of the card should not cause disconnects of any of the components.

Personally if I was pursuing your route I would brace the card whether it be with the original sub plate or some other method and also mount the fans to a case supported sub tray.

Even if I had to hack the cooler I may also consider leaving the original ATI fan for a bit of airflow on the card as I doubt you have much air penetration around the VRM's.

I think this is a sound idea however I am fairly sure I don't have a damaged card now, have reinstalled it with the fan clips (tried cable ties but wasn't easily going to work). Still seems fine :) PC is still on it's side though so when I put it upright I'm gonna pull the gpu power cables a bit tighter and cable tie them round the back if it looks like that will give sufficient support.

It seems to be an over-tightening issue rather than pcb flex :)

Still, those GT's aren't lightweight and some bracing may help.

I think so too, as I said in previous post, it was still crashing after less than 30 seconds with the pc on its side and no flex in the board at all.
Fingers crossed eh?!

Soldato
Oh dear... That's the only real problem with these things unless you take matters into your own hands.
It's also why reviewers need to be more resonsible and focus on more than just core temps.

For anyone interested in an epic and informative read on the subject, check here.

Associate
I will install the MK-26 with the big Alpehnfohn vrm heatsink into a corsair 540 got 3 AF120 fans in the front and will check the vrm temps with that setup.

Associate
what are the VRM2 Temps on your cards ? my are really Bad

20% fan - 120° and increasing
50% fan - max 110°
100% fan - max 90°

my fans are 2x enermax cluster 140mm

Caporegime
You can't beat the reference cooler when it comes to vrm temps. The reference fan sits right on top of the vrms. These custom coolers (MK26 - Accelero etc) are great at core cooling, crap at vrm cooling. AIB coolers are usually somewhere in the middle.

Associate
the big question is how i can better cooling vrm2.
i think 90° is ok, but the fans will run @ 100% thats not an good option

i will test some other fans with more air pressure, but thats also not the best solution for that

Back
Top Bottom