• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*R9 290X Prolimatech MK-26 Fitting Guide*

Soldato
The heatsink is attached with thermal glue, right?

The guy that posted this thread is using the Scythe GT's with the 4 small Alpenfohn heatsinks on the VRMs attached with Akasa tape which isn't as good as the combination you're using, and he's getting 65°C on Valley.

I know you've tried various combinations already, but I think you should have a look at the contact between the heatsink and the VRMs :) Did you use a small amount of glue or lots?
Also, I think the fans are still an issue.

Associate
OP
what are the VRM2 Temps on your cards ? my are really Bad

20% fan - 120° and increasing
50% fan - max 110°
100% fan - max 90°

my fans are 2x enermax cluster 140mm

Make sure you post pics and results here, Rasch :)

How are you getting on, Walder? No more artifacts? Any overclocking adventures?

Whilst my temps have been great with the Scythe fans I couldn't resolve the intermittent issues I had with crashing but I do believe it may have been board flex because it was always fine when the fans weren't attached and just resting against the card. The Scythes are very weighty and perhaps a bit too much for this cooler. Rather than throw any more money at it I had to bite the bullet and replace the stock cooler as I had a planned lan party and didn't want to be sitting there all day watching everyone else play lol! Thankfully all the issues have gone away so am happy although my temps and noise are of course back up there again!

I can see OCUK's pre-fitted versions of this getting a lot of RMA's across the 2-year warranty period...

Anyone want to buy my MK-26 off me cheap? The whole kit is there along with plenty of thermal paste, the original box, instructions etc... It's the Black version and I would take £40 inc delivery.

The Scythe's have replaced my NZXT intake and exhaust fans :)

Soldato
The best solution for that card would be to add one of the integrated water coolers. run with the Original fan and sub plate, a new top for the cooler would need to be fabricated to get the best from the original fan but that would be simple.

Associate
2723db74__dsc1219ukqf9.jpeg

Check out this soulution to avoid board flex.Im actually thinking to using the screw holes at the end of board and use something to make it horizontal.

I like this idea and this build looks cool too.

Associate
hmm, 1 hour battlefield only 85° on vrm2 with 20% fan speed
i think my temp problem is gone over the night, but dont know why lol

Associate
I used a Dremel to cut the reference heatsink in half and used the rear part on the VRM2's in conjunction with the Accelero III.

My temps after an hour using the render test on Gpu-z were:

GPU - 61c
VRM 1 - 55c
VRM 2 - 53c

This is with 100% fan speed (still silent)
:)

Associate
i also need pics of that :D
thats an good idea, so i can maybe tune it to fit with the proli

also temps of burn in test @ msi kombuster and speed of the fan interesting me

Associate
My camera is broke (ancient) so I can't show the cut heatsink but the part I used was the flat half at the rear.
:)

The temps below were after about 30 mins.

5wh006Q.jpg

Soldato
i also need pics of that :D
thats an good idea, so i can maybe tune it to fit with the proli

also temps of burn in test @ msi kombuster and speed of the fan interesting me

You really need to stop using Kombustor, Peppi :)

I just tried it for a laugh and it's bloody stupid...

My card is watercooled and even in the most demanding games, my VRM temps don't go above 45°C at worst.
Kombustor only went up to 41°C on the core, but VRM1 hit 61°C within 5 minutes...

EDIT: Btw, that's a 7970 at 1200/1600 1.238v.

Use actual games or Heaven/Valley etc. Especially if you're using a cooler that you know doesn't give the best results with VRM cooling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom