• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** R9 290X Watercooling Thread **

Soldato
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24028168&postcount=79

34°C @1325/1900 1.384v at around 20-21°C ambient with 360/240 rads. Yes, they're Monsta rads, but they're not that much better than most decent radiators and are also mounted in the case rather than externally.
My card just isn't the greatest clocker, but I'm not really into benching tbh.

Your 1080 rad is very nice and very capable (even being 'only' 5fpi), but it's not the defining factor IMO :)
Your card's clocking ability and the low ambient temp (if that's still the case with your bench results) allied with the rad being external has more to do with it.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24028168&postcount=79

34°C @1325/1900 1.384v at around 20-21°C ambient with 360/240 rads. Yes, they're Monsta rads, but they're not that much better than most decent radiators and are also mounted in the case rather than externally.
My card just isn't the greatest clocker, but I'm not really into benching tbh.

Your 1080 rad is very nice and very capable (even being 'only' 5fpi), but it's not the defining factor IMO :)
Your card's clocking ability and the low ambient temp (if that's still the case with your bench results) allied with the rad being external has more to do with it.

I only bench with 10-15c ambients :). Even on water.

Soldato
OP
I was asking what cpu he was using and if he had overclocked it out of curiosity as for all i know he is using something on stock. My following question should he answer would have been what his CPU temps were like. In my post i commented that i was trying to work out how many rads i need and never stated that i was confident it would be enough. I was asking because i don't know what i need and tbh was expecting some constructive advice not some useless comment.

Sorry had a busy morning, and people were enjoying arguing so much I didn't like to interrupt :p

I am running a 2500k @ 4.5Ghz stock volts. Idle temps are around 23c - 29c across the cores and 50c - 60c while gaming. A good long prime session takes the CPU up to 69c.

Soldato
Having a 1080 rad and achieving record numbers is very nice and all but it is not evidence that a 360 and 240 can't achieve the same cooling. As long as the heat removal capability exceeds the heat creation capability, additional passive cooling cannot improve matters.

Testing when ambient temps are in the 10-15 range is far more of a factor than having a 1080 rad.

Soldato
I'm not looking at benching etc although i will do a bit :)

Looking to get a 290 (non x) and put it in a loop with my 3570k, do you reckon a 360 and a 240 will be good enough for that?

There's a lot of variables to calculate, and it's easy to over think it all. But a rough guess, something like Hardware Labs GTX 360 +240 rads. Assuming, 10C deltaT air to loop, a reasonable medium ish loop flow rate, 3 x 1800RPM fans. Gives about 420w heat load.

Assume the heat load is 85% of the TDP for the two components, not all the heat ends in the loop, so 480W or so of TDP. Say 150W for the cpu, then you have 330w+ for the gpu. Should be more than enough for a single high end card with oc. At least it used to be back in the day.

Worth mentioning loop temp is not core temp, with a 10C deltaT. Say ambient is 20C, loop is 30C, after that add gpu/cpu block heat resistance and allow for localised heat readings at the cores. You need 'enough' cooling, if there's too much heat load the deltaT will increase rapidly, but after a certain point adding cooling capacity has a diminishing return. All you do is head towards the ambient, dropping the deltaT to 5C for instance. Is an addition 5C lower loop temps really going to help overclocking that much, if you consider you've dropped core temps down from 90's to 40/50's already? Better to open the windows and let some cold air in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming the rads are of decent quality/performance, I see no reason why 360/240 wouldn't handle a CPU and a 290 considering that plenty of people have been using the same rad configuration to cool OC'd CPU + Dual GPU's (6XX/79XX etc) for a while now with great results :)

Back
Top Bottom