• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Caporegime
More than one.

But yes ok. They are £550 and up, except for the ones that aren't.

Vega.

An all to common thing to do. People looked at the 1080 and the only card available was the FE and that was the only price used in debates and when the non FE got mentioned, they skip those posts to suit agendas. When looking at a favourable brand, the lowest possible price will always be used. For reference, I genuinely feel the 1080 is too expensive all round and should sit at the $500 mark.

Soldato
I didn't think we would see that price point straight away, still wouldn't be surprised at fleecing mind, if stocks are low :p

I'm actually tempted at this price, could allow me to skip Vega.

Looks to be a very short card also, is this HBM/HBM2 or is GDDR5X Much dancer? The PCB looks to be about the size of the Fury X with a section of the blower just hanging over.

Also wondering what overclocking will be like, wondering if that 1x6pin PWR connector may let it down there, can't see it getting over 2000mhz but maybe if we get an * pin from the 3rd party designs.

I am driving 3x1440p, 144hz Eyefinity but that really is tempting.

Associate
If there is a 480X I hope they release info and benchmarks for it before 10th June.

Personally if I could get 1070 performance for cheaper I'd hold off on a 1070. Or 480X could even be slightly faster than a 1070, filling a gap between the 1070 and 1080.w

Soldato
I genuinely feel the 1080 is too expensive all round and should sit at the $500 mark.

Agreed milking to the extreme. The Founders Edition and pricing of it just seems like a massive (Word I can't say) to the customers.

Some of the others are fairly priced. But not in stock, loads of FE though :D

I'm gonna play with the new RX480 until either Nvidia pricing comes down (Way down) on the 1080's. Or the real high end stuff comes in a few months.

Hoping for an ITX RX480 or maybe a custom AIO version. Nice and silent and cool.

Associate
If there is a 480X I hope they release info and benchmarks for it before 10th June.

Personally if I could get 1070 performance for cheaper I'd hold off on a 1070. Or 480X could even be slightly faster than a 1070, filling a gap between the 1070 and 1080.w

Even if there isn't a 480X (and I assume there is), I hope they release benchmarks before the 10th.

If it's only 10-15% slower (and can catch up to stock 1070 with overclocks), then there'll be a lot of people who will wait to pay half the price for the same performance.

Soldato
An all to common thing to do. People looked at the 1080 and the only card available was the FE and that was the only price used in debates and when the non FE got mentioned, they skip those posts to suit agendas. When looking at a favourable brand, the lowest possible price will always be used. For reference, I genuinely feel the 1080 is too expensive all round and should sit at the $500 mark.

450$ be a great price.
still one year from now who knows right :D

Caporegime
Be interesting to see if the cards actually launch with that design, they showed the exact same design for the 390 and it never materialised, just third party versions with their own heat-sinks.

Caporegime
Agreed milking to the extreme. The Founders Edition and pricing of it just seems like a massive (Word I can't say) to the customers.

I'm gonna play with the new RX480 until either Nvidia pricing comes down (Way down) on the 1080's. Or the real high end stuff comes in a few months.

Hoping for an ITX RX480 or maybe a custom AIO version. Nice and silent and cool.

For review purposes, I would have been very happy to spend £450 on one (anyone at that) but with paying £610 on the FTW, I do feel I have overpaid. The way Nvidia have looked at it is competition or lack of and basically said "You want the fastest? Dig deep then brothers" Mind you, people could talk with their wallets but it doesn't look like they have and does look like people are happy to overpay for the fastest.

Edit: I actually said "Meh" after pressing the submit button when ordering :D and then went out and spent £150 on the beer with my Mrs to celebrate 22 years of being married :D

Last edited:
Associate

i have a feeling that the first 1080/1070 price cut is coming in july.
me too at some point i was considering a 1070, now 480 crossfire seem to be a good option, if i still dont like the support i can always sell the 2nd and wait for vega, it's not like the card will lose that much value looking at it's already dirt cheap price, and thats the other thing that is making me consider crossfire, you dont have the feeling that you are throwing away a significant amount of money just to try out something, that you might not like.

Caporegime
Hilarious as a 4GB 960GTX is at the same price point of around £160. This has to massively shake up the market.

There are going to be a lot of unsold budget NVidia cards sitting in warehouses soon.

Nvidia stopped maxwell production sometime back. 1060 GPUS are almost certainly ready for release, NV have publicly shown GP106 dies with production dates earlier than the 1080 chips so NV are just waiting for their release date. They might spoil AMD's end of June launch.

The good thing is for consumers is AMD have set a very agressive price which will force Nvidia hand a little. I do worry AMD are sacrificing sustainable margin for publicity and market share, hope it works out out. It will be interesting to see NVIDIA's approach with the 1060, they could also be quite agressive with even lower margins using the high profitability of the rest of the business and the GP106 series to sustain lower pricing. The downside is that will make a.big price differential across their line up and a gap at the $300 price point. If the 1060 us faster that a the 480 then there is the option of a $280 1060ti and a cut down $200 vanilla 1060.

Soldato
Nvidia stopped maxwell production sometime back. 1060 GPUS are almost certainly ready for release, NV have publicly shown GP106 dies with production dates earlier than the 1080 chips so NV are just waiting for their release date. They might spoil AMD's end of June launch.

The good thing is for consumers is AMD have set a very agressive price which will force Nvidia hand a little. I do worry AMD are sacrificing sustainable margin for publicity and market share, hope it works out out. It will be interesting to see NVIDIA's approach with the 1060, they could also be quite agressive with even lower margins using the high profitability of the rest of the business and the GP106 series to sustain lower pricing. The downside is that will make a.big price differential across their line up and a gap at the $300 price point. If the 1060 us faster that a the 480 then there is the option of a $280 1060ti and a cut down $200 vanilla 1060.

It could be the other way around. The 480 might be a good chunk faster than the 1060 forcing Nvidia to take heat from there pricing. The 60 variant has not exactly been a strong point for Nvidia since the 460/560. It most likely never effected sales to much though :D:D:D.

Last edited:
Soldato
i have a feeling that the first 1080/1070 price cut is coming in july.
me too at some point i was considering a 1070, now 480 crossfire seem to be a good option, if i still dont like the support i can always sell the 2nd and wait for vega, it's not like the card will lose that much value looking at it's already dirt cheap price, and thats the other thing that is making me consider crossfire, you dont have the feeling that you are throwing away a significant amount of money just to try out something, that you might not like.

Yeah I think the OC RX480's will be faster than my Radeon Nano and use less power. Also has 8GB version which Kaap keeps reminded people we need :p

So Nano to RX480 will do as a stopgap until Nvidia and AMD get their real high end cards launched.

Personally I'm very disappointing.

It's like they haven't even tried to better the Nvidia offerings.

Last Gen they where competitive. This gen, it's literally cards for the budget conscious.

Nvidia haven't launched their high end stuff yet either, this is more like a refresh at a very high price. Which is fine for the guys with the large wallets.

AMD are taking a different approach and launching for the mainstream market fist in order to gain market share and lower entry cost for VR.

AMD's high end cards will come later this year, also Nvidia will likely release their real high end cards around the same time. If you can't wait just pick up a 1080, although I would avoid the FE as the price is very high tbh.

Some good prices on the FTW and G1 cards around.

Back
Top Bottom