• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
Seriously wtf?

That's the definition of a paper launch. There was nothing left to know about the 1080 but no one could buy cards until a week later.

A paper launch is the situation in which a product is compared or tested against other products of the same kind, despite the fact that it is not available to the public at the time. Generally, the term is applied to the computer and gaming industry, but is not limited to that.

We won't be getting reviews until the 29th and there will be cards to buy which is a hard launch. Now wtf?

Soldato
Is there any reason AMD couldn't rival whatever Nvidia do at the top end?

Man, this 480 just keeps getting more powerful every hour!

At first it was between 390 and 390X. Then it was faster than 390X. Then it was fast as the Nano. Now it's as fast as the Fury. At this rate, it'll be knocking down the 1080 by dinner.
That's because we don't have actual benchmark to refer to, but rely on estimating performance basing on the spec.

Realistic speaking, assuming that even with minimal architectural improvement, that amount of shader units should offer "at least" around the level of performance of 390/970; but if there are good architectural improvement, it's not unlikely it will actually be at the performance level of Fury Nano/980.

The 560Ti has been one of the most popular cards of its generation, due to it's bang for bucks at the sub £200 mark; time moved on, and we now ended up with the joke of 128-bit GTX 960 at nearly £200. What AMD is doing with the 480 is they are focusing on this market segment to bring good performance to the mass again at the most popular price point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's the definition of a paper launch. There was nothing left to know about the 1080 but no one could buy cards until a week later.

We won't be getting reviews until the 29th and there will be cards to buy which is a hard launch. Now wtf?

Still wtf. Listen to yourself.

Soldato
ISTM that with the RX 480 AMD are targeting the 1080p/60 Hz market with a card that can max out most games at that resolution. Given that higher resolutions and refresh rates are niche sectors, why bother with more?

Expect to see Nvidia release the GTX 1060 sooner rather than later.

Caporegime
That's because it was a paper launch. Amd are doing a hard launch.

What in God's planet is this rubbish:confused:

Nvidia announce early may and ship end of May.

AMD announce way June and may or may not ship end of June.

Yet some how the latter is not a paper launch. There is a word for people like you.

Soldato
What in God's planet is this rubbish:confused:

Nvidia announce early may and ship end of May.

AMD announce way June and may or may not ship end of June.

Yet some how the latter is not a paper launch. There is a word for people like you.

Again this is the definition of a paper launch.

A paper launch is the situation in which a product is compared or tested against other products of the same kind, despite the fact that it is not available to the public at the time. Generally, the term is applied to the computer and gaming industry, but is not limited to that.

It's exactly what Nvidia done. Have we seen reviews for the 480 and do we know a lot about the card. We barely know anything meaningful accept for the usual. The launch is the 29th of June and we should get all the info and be able to buy. Nvidia's was a full on launch without availability ie a paper launch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, so AMD ahhave paper launched.

Stop digging your own grave, it's hilarious.

Reviews of the 1080 were up a week and a half before you could buy. That's a full on paper launch. Show me a 480 review. That's right there won't be any until the day you can buy.

On the 29th we should have reviews and be able to buy, that's what i consider a hard launch.

Any how this is going no where as usual. I was just pointing out the differences in the launches so far.

Didn't they compare it to the 1080 in aots? :confused:

No they compared 2 of them to a 1080 so we still don't know performance. They said at the same time they were only getting 51% usage from the cards due to early drivers. It really gave nothing away and i think that's what it was designed to do.

Last edited:
Soldato
If that is the 480 and not the 480x, they may be shipping with cores disabled, which means they are probably keeping the full-fat ones for the laptop market at the moment, like they did last gen. Would be interesting to see even more performance down the line when they can support both the laptop and desktop segments as production yields stabilise with the new tech.

Associate
No. Reviews were out ahead of release....

exactly, this is what i was getting at, I read many reviews and benchmarks before the 1080 was released and we're reading reviews of the 1070 now and benchmarks

I'm secretly hoping for the 480x to be unveiled too but...it's just wishful thinking I'm sure.

can't stomach the price of the 1080 right now

Last edited:
Don
Yep, so AMD ahhave paper launched.

Except they haven't.

In the past actual paper launches have been where a product is lifted from NDA on a certain day, samples are made available to reviewers, but the general public have been unable to buy.

Unless I've missed something with the RX 480, there are no reviews and it isn't actually launching until 29th June.

I have no idea about 1080 as haven't really been following it.

Associate
Well look's like I was right. Priced much cheaper and best bang/buck. They clearly took my free consultation into consideration ;) Who needs to headhunt from NVIDIA when anonymous people can tell them exactly what to do to make money?

Caporegime
Reviews of the 1080 were up a week and a half before you could buy. That's a full on paper launch. Show me a 480 review. That's right there won't be any until the day you can buy.

On the 29th we should have reviews and be able to buy, that's what i consider a hard launch.

Any how this is going no where as usual. I was just pointing out the differences in the launches so far.

Word of advice. Stop making it worse for you, I can't stop laughing at your posts.

Next time think before Making such ridiculous comments.

Soldato
Except they haven't.

In the past actual paper launches have been where a product is lifted from NDA on a certain day, samples are made available to reviewers, but the general public have been unable to buy.

Unless I've missed something with the RX 480, there are no reviews and it isn't actually launching until 29th June.

I have no idea about 1080 as haven't really been following it.

+1

Back
Top Bottom