• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

I really dont see anybody hoping it fails to deliver.

Some people are just not getting crazy over the hype and considering the possibility that it may not be some astounding card like some are expecting.

Damn and that was me trying to add my own drama :)

Although several in this thread are picking at things, calling it a failure when clearly all they have to do is wait a little longer to see its true performance.

Looking at the card who it is aimed at, its price/performance like a general non enthusiast consumer sorry "Team Green" but do you want me to buy a GTX970 for similar money or pay more for a GTX980 when this card might very well in DX12 perform better, run cooler, use less power and support DP1.3 features?

Every time I check in this Rollercoaster of opinion seems to change. It will be a pretty decent card for the money if there isn't Gouging everywhere but Gibbo said there will be loads of stock so that should that help out there

It's not in the same league as the 1080 or 1070 but is a good alternative for the masses

Huh, I could have swore I checked the other day and that's what they were going for. But yea, seems I was either mistaken or they've liquidated stock since then and changed prices.

390X was well over £300 about 3 weeks ago. There was a reduction to £280-£320 at that time, but stock has now pretty much gone.

I never get angry over GPUs but the way he has carried on has made me angry. It is like he is two people at times. "Looking like a great card, great price" and then "crap card, nobody will buy it".

Crazy posting!

Its what happens when you follow these types of threads tbh. People can be hyped about new things, rumors come and hype goes up. I dont blame humbug for his reactions i blame the rumor mills and then arguments with graphs and changing peoples minds between announcements and actual launch dates.

Surprised if anyone here still holds onto their original assessment of the 480 since it was announced. If anyone has and hasnt been twisted by rumor or graph bolstering i commend them.

oh crap, i really dont wanna call anyone idiot, but i would love to see anyone talking about 220-250£ to break the price down to me from 229$, i understand the gouging is possible , but come on thats like 40-50% markup.

380 cards from newegg and ocUK just compare original price before rebate, usualy 199$ cards end up 170£, and 230$ end up 190£.

just for comparaison purpose, beside it's a US retailer, not like if it's competition :D.

I expect £200 for 8GB models.

$230 ÷ 1.47 (USD/GBP rate today) = c.£156

£156 × 1.20 = c.£187

Shipping/import costs in the UK/EU are slightly higher than US so add another c.7%

£187 × 1.07 = c.£200

OCUK may charge £210-215 at first but they are almost never the cheapest website for computer parts (plus they actually charge for shipping in this day and age driving the total cost of purchasing even higher than other etailers). The main advantage for OCUK is their fantastic customer support, this forum and very wide selection of computer parts.

Anyway, other etailers will probably have it slightly cheaper at first but we will see.

cib24. There wont be import costs, they dont incur that for graphics cards. Shipping wont be much per card like few dollars id imagine because they do it by the pallet usually so is cheaper overall per card vs single card. Oh and incase you dont know, forum members can claim free shipping for most things at ocuk shop. ;)

Last edited:
I have to agree with a point humbug is making here.

The 480 - if it is 290/390 perf for similar price - is not *just* a poor upgrade for current 390/390X owners.

It's also a poor upgrade for current 380/X owners too. They could have bought a 290/390 years ago, but they didn't.

So if they didn't buy a 290/390 at £240, why would the now be scrambling to buy a 480, at the same price and perf?

Clearly many 380 owners were hoping for a card at 380 prices, not 390 prices, with 30% more perf or so.

Frankly, if the 8gb 480 is >£200, it's not a dream upgrade for 380 users, so who is AMD targetting? People who haven't bought a GFX card since 2010?

Please bookmark your post to come back to on 29th (or perhaps when partner cooler cards come out) ;)

It has long been $=£ on new products - we don't operate in a costs-based model, but a market-bearing model. There are some additional overheads in the UK of course, like VAT, increased wage and shop overheads per unit sold etc. But largely we are a market that is happy to pay a bit more for tech relative to some other countries. $=£ would give probably £230 for the 8GB, then you can add an early adopter/premium logistics cost of a bit more if you like as well (if you have limited supply as a shop and you're going to sell out, you might as well sell out at a higher margin - this looks like it *won't* be the case for the 480 as much as some other products though, so hopeful on that front).

i just gave you 2 links to US and UK retailer for basicaly the same cards for the same price, helf your arguments do not works , and the only one left is premium and stock, the latter we both would agree it would be hard AMD seem very well prepared, what's left is the premium gouging, which is simply ridiculous the call a 40% markup a premium, thats more like racketeering.

ive still got a good feeling about 480 crossfire, it has the same feel about it as the 5770 crossfire,a lot of performance for not a lot of money,i may go for it but waiting for reviews before i make my mind up

Its what happens when you follow these types of threads tbh. People can be hyped about new things, rumors come and hype goes up. I dont blame humbug for his reactions i blame the rumor mills and then arguments with graphs and changing peoples minds between announcements and actual launch dates.

Surprised if anyone here still holds onto their original assessment of the 480 since it was announced. If anyone has and hasnt been twisted by rumor or graph bolstering i commend them.

Agreed and part of me was hoping my level headedness was being daft and these could well take on a Titan X and from a keen Youtuber, I wanted it to be the case and run a 480 against my 1080 and say "look at this card for £200 and compared to this card that cost £610, the performance is very close and costs a third of the money". But if it is a 390X performer style card, I don't see the point and would be a silly thing to bench in side by side. Looks like Vega will be that card though, so a few months wait before I can do that and best I start saving some secret cash from the Wife :D

ive still got a good feeling about 480 crossfire, it has the same feel about it as the 5770 crossfire,a lot of performance for not a lot of money,i may go for it but waiting for reviews before i make my mind up

I would wait to see how useful crossfire is first, especially with dx12 titles and vulkan (not sure about vulkan tbh but if its like dx12 then i include it in the post) As a lot of people are of the opinion that crossfire is a dying breed for some reason.

I guess you missed all those posts going into total damage control talking about how Gibbo doesn't know what he's talking about or couldn't know what he's talking about or whatever other way to dismiss what they're hearing because they dont like it?

And I'm not saying that Gibbo's comments should be taken as complete gospel, but somebody who is in contact with suppliers and will have the ability to discuss specs and performance and price and whatnot with others under the NDA might well know a thing or two. Just sayin...

Well TBH i bet Gibbo is a little frustrated reading all these posts i know i would
...from what i gather they have the 480's there and for sure they will have tested ect no doubt about it
but because of the NDA he has to choose is words very carefully like saying you can see the data on the web re all this and where the 480 will sit ....

But i assume he knows he as tested and the truth may be exactly what as been said... hint hint..... will see with just over a week to go

Back
Top Bottom